Detroit files for bankruptcy

I'm watching True Life: I'm Saving Detroit right now.

That was very sad and really MANY abandoned houses.

Yes, Detroit needs to clean their city and have too many abandoned housing attract criminals, illegal activities, gangs, rubble and arson.

A lot of houses in Detroit may contain asbestos so it will add more cost to remove the asbestos, before they can make full demolish.

bring in Sheriff Arpaio and problem will be solved within a week or so. :cool2:

Could anyone explain what the contributing factors were that caused the downturn in Detroit's economic situation? I am not from Michigan, but I have friends who grew up in the Detroit area, and I feel very bad for the families that are going through these hard economic times. Was it mismanagement at the city government level?

Here in Atlanta, there has been a number of governmental corruption cases.

hmm.... this may or may not be similar to this unfortunate incident in NJ - The Truth Behind New Jersey Police Pensions

When Chicago goes down a la Detroit what do you think the odds are of a federal bailout being America's "favorite" city?

That is going to be really interesting to watch. We are really in no position to bail them out and it would be unfair to other cities to be weighted down with Chicago or Detroit. I say they made their bed...let them lay in it.

When Chicago goes down a la Detroit what do you think the odds are of a federal bailout being America's "favorite" city?

I doubt that federal will bail Detroit and other cities out.

Let them file for bankruptcy and get work out to solve the financial crisis.

Their credit will be completely junk too because of bankruptcy.

Yes, Detroit needs to clean their city and have too many abandoned housing attract criminals, illegal activities, gangs, rubble and arson.

A lot of houses in Detroit may contain asbestos so it will add more cost to remove the asbestos, before they can make full demolish.

That's about 3,000 houses that can be demolished with that kind of budget. I don't know how many vacant houses/businesses there are in Detroit, I bet you a tons of them! Probably tens of thousands, easily. It would be obvious when the city lost 800,000 people in a half century.

That's about 3,000 houses that can be demolished with that kind of budget. I don't know how many vacant houses/businesses there are in Detroit, I bet you a tons of them! Probably tens of thousands, easily. It would be obvious when the city lost 800,000 people in a half century.

I think Detroit lost more than 1 million population in total? 1,849,568 - 713,777 = 1,135,791.

It looks like Detroit has 30,000+ abandoned buildings. :shock:
Way too many derelict buildings, nowhere near enough cash to raze them | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

The asbestos removal could cost $10,000+, depending on size, more size means cost more. EPA regulation require asbestos to be removed before it could demolished.

I think Detroit lost more than 1 million population in total? 1,849,568 - 713,777 = 1,135,791.

Way too many derelict buildings, nowhere near enough cash to raze them | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

The asbestos removal could cost $10,000+, depending on size, more size means cost more. EPA regulation require asbestos to be removed before it could demolished.

A bit more than 1 million, yea wasn't thinking. It's 701,000 as of 2012 estimates. Still draining like a toilet.

A bit more than 1 million, yea wasn't thinking. It's 701,000 as of 2012 estimates. Still draining like a toilet.

Yes, my grandma told me about first visit with her mother to Detroit in late 1940's and it was very beautiful city, but really crowded, similar to Chicago and NYC.

She told me about public housing projects in 1930's-1940's was mostly white families.

Now, it is changing. :(

Yes, my grandma told me about first visit with her mother to Detroit in late 1940's and it was very beautiful city, but really crowded, similar to Chicago and NYC.

She told me about public housing projects in 1930's-1940's was mostly white families.

Now, it is changing. :(

My ex gf's grandma said the similar thing, she lived in Detroit in the 50's before it declined.

My ex gf's grandma said the similar thing, she lived in Detroit in the 50's before it declined.

Yes, in 1930's, the FDR's new deal idea about public housing projects were great to remove the urban slums. It used to house many working class to middle class families. It was safe to visit public housing project and accommodation was most updated, basic to meet sanity requirement. It went DOWN like roller coaster and became strict reserve to poorest, needy families, as crime problems started popping in 60's.

It wasn't bad for short term but really bad for long term.

I doubt that federal will bail Detroit and other cities out.

Let them file for bankruptcy and get work out to solve the financial crisis.

Their credit will be completely junk too because of bankruptcy.

Detroit's credit is already junk. Chicago's credit just dropped 3 notches. Still investment grade for now....but barely.

Large scale demolitions are easier and much cheaper. In New Orleans we we did some Demos for $2,000-3000

Single family structures normally will not require abatement prior to demolition. Depends on how they classify the project. Since the Federal government will most likely help with funding any large scale demolition it is also likely that they will wave most abatement requirements except for large structures.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

I can't even imagine retiring in Detroit. Probably most of them retired long time ago.

Back