Detroit files for bankruptcy

There is political involvement in almost everything in life. However the purpose of this thread is to discuss the financial and socio-economic elements of the Detroit (or municipalities in general) bankruptcy. If you are unable to limit your discussion to these parameters perhaps it would be best for you to involve yourself in other threads. :ty:

then don't start complain about my post that contain political discussion or not.

It is best to let moderator deal with that.

then don't start complain about my post that contain political discussion or not.

It is best to let moderator deal with that.

No one complained. You were reminded of the forum rules and asked to refrain.

No one complained. You were reminded of the forum rules and asked to refrain.

No, you complained about I was discussing political but Detroit bankruptcy has many political involvement.

I don't respect to backseat moderator and you made accusation.

Like I said, it is best to let moderator to deal and I will not obey to any backseat moderator.

No, you complained about I was discussing political but Detroit bankruptcy has many political involvement.

I don't respect to backseat moderator and you made accusation.

Like I said, it is best to let moderator to deal and I will not obey to any backseat moderator.

This...

2) Politics is not allowed on AD.

is not complaining. It is a reminder of the rules. I will ask you nicely again to cease this quibbling in my thread and return to the topic. :ty:

This...

is not complaining. It is a reminder of the rules. I will ask you nicely again to cease this quibbling in my thread and return to the topic. :ty:

Sorry, I don't follow. :dunno:

You made bad compare - Ontario and Quebec are larger than Texas.

Ontario: 415,598 sq mi
Quebec: 595,391 sq mi
Texas: 268,596 sq mi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_provinces_and_territories_by_area
Facts | Texas Almanac

DC is much smaller than Ontario - worst compare.

Toronto and Montreal have good population compare to Houston and Dallas, yet they have excellent public transportation coverage.

Dallas and Houston are car oriented cities, similar to LA, but 30 years ago, there were no LRT, heavy rail or commuter train in LA. Only difference, LA has more bus coverage because of state/city/county funds.

You got me confuse. I thought Ontario is capital of nation. :lol:

But still bad compare anyway. I'm talk about country's largest city blah blah blah. That's okay, you don't like TX like us who talk that way.

You got me confuse. I thought Ontario is capital of nation. :lol:

But still bad compare anyway. I'm talk about country's largest city blah blah blah. That's okay, you don't like TX like us who talk that way.

You can think what you want.

Texas isn't bad, but I don't like their government and climate, however it has a lot of interest places to visit.

Could anyone explain what the contributing factors were that caused the downturn in Detroit's economic situation? I am not from Michigan, but I have friends who grew up in the Detroit area, and I feel very bad for the families that are going through these hard economic times. Was it mismanagement at the city government level?

Here in Atlanta, there has been a number of governmental corruption cases.

Could anyone explain what the contributing factors were that caused the downturn in Detroit's economic situation? I am not from Michigan, but I have friends who grew up in the Detroit area, and I feel very bad for the families that are going through these hard economic times. Was it mismanagement at the city government level?

Yes because they didn't fix the pension, many jobs moved out of city, especially automaker companies, many people move out of Detroit city limit that caused tax base to go down. The city didn't change the financial plan to make reflective to population change and new tax base.

Michigan lost the population in 2010 Census because of Detroit and the suburb didn't grew so much.

I found information about why Detroit is declining.
Detroit Decline Causes Include Auto Industry Collapse, Segregation And Politics

Detroit Bankrupt: To See Detroit's Decline, Look at 40 Years Of Federal Policy

The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » The Reasons Behind Detroit’s Decline by Pete Saunders

Decline of Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google has many information and it is up to you to believe.

I guess my question should be revised a little bit. Who was in charge of the city's financial budget and how did those people mismanage funds? Were they lining their pockets?

I guess my question should be revised a little bit. Who was in charge of the city's financial budget and how did those people mismanage funds?

Before emergency manager took in place, mayor and council city were in charge of city budget. They didn't balance the budget to change in tax base and took a lot of loan to cover the cost.

Now, the emergency manager takes care of city budget.

Before emergency manager took in place, mayor and council city were in charge of city budget. They didn't balance the budget to change in tax base and took a lot of loan to cover the cost.

Now, the emergency manager takes care of city budget.

Where did the loan money go?

My father in law is a retired mortgage broker, so this topic is interesting.

Where did the loan money go?

My father in law is a retired mortgage broker, so this topic is interesting.

cover the city budget like road, electricity, police department, fire department, street cleaner, city maintenance, tax department, museum and anything related to city.

cover the city budget like road, electricity, police department, fire department, street cleaner, city maintenance, tax department, museum and anything related to city.

Ok, here in Georgia, we get a portion of our budget from the Federal Government (and only if the State is in compliance with Federal Law) for the items you listed.

Was Detroit ever in any violation of Federal Law and if not, where did the Federal funds go?

Ok, here in Georgia, we get a portion of our budget from the Federal Government (and only if the State is in compliance with Federal Law) for the items you listed.

Was Detroit ever in any violation of Federal Law and if not, where did the Federal funds go?

Not sure about Detroit violated federal law that resulted in loss of federal funds.

I found article about Michigan received federal funds for housing demolition in Detroit.
Detroit, other cities to get $100 million in federal funds to tear down vacant homes | Fox News

Not sure about Detroit violated federal law that resulted in loss of federal funds.

I found article about Michigan received federal funds for housing demolition in Detroit.
Detroit, other cities to get $100 million in federal funds to tear down vacant homes | Fox News

$100 million is a lot of money to demolish many houses. It costs roughly $20,000 to $40,000 to demolish one single family house, I believe. After they demolish many houses, it would be just many of vacant lots with streets thru the city area. Maybe turn the big lots into city farming, lol.

$100 million is a lot of money to demolish many houses. It costs roughly $20,000 to $40,000 to demolish one single family house, I believe. After they demolish many houses, it would be just many of vacant lots with streets thru the city area. Maybe turn the big lots into city farming, lol.

Yes, Detroit needs to clean their city and have too many abandoned housing attract criminals, illegal activities, gangs, rubble and arson.

A lot of houses in Detroit may contain asbestos so it will add more cost to remove the asbestos, before they can make full demolish.

Back