Deaf upset at Netflix for not captioning instant videos

Sosie

Reaction score
Netflix envelope

Deaf Upset at Netflix for not Captioning Instant Videos

More deaf people are joining Netflix, a popular online DVD rental company founded in 1997, where for a monthly fee, a person can rent a number of DVDs. This is a boon for the deaf community as it becomes convenient for them to go on line and order rental DVDs. The DVD arrives within two days of request via pre-paid mail. After the viewing, the customer can return it via pre-paid mail back to Netflix. Read more.... http://files.e2ma.net/14147/assets/docs/e-newsjuly1_1_.pdf

I can't believe what I was hearing... I was planning to join Netflix. Now, I don't know...

Netflix envelope

Deaf Upset at Netflix for not Captioning Instant Videos

More deaf people are joining Netflix, a popular online DVD rental company founded in 1997, where for a monthly fee, a person can rent a number of DVDs. This is a boon for the deaf community as it becomes convenient for them to go on line and order rental DVDs. The DVD arrives within two days of request via pre-paid mail. After the viewing, the customer can return it via pre-paid mail back to Netflix. Read more.... http://files.e2ma.net/14147/assets/docs/e-newsjuly1_1_.pdf

I can't believe what I was hearing... I was planning to join Netflix. Now, I don't know...

There was already a thread about this.

But the movies you get in the mail are captioned. It is just the ones streamed over the internet to your computer that are not.

I never cared for downloading movies from online. Blockbuster Online offers that same feature, but I've never taken advantage of it. I prefer DVDs that I can watch on television. If I wanted to watch something on my computer, it will be anime that I download... not movies from Netflix or Blockbuster Online. :)

Same as Blockbuster DVD too, some movies doesn't have CC. I'm a member of blockbuster. I'll say go for blockbuster because you get three movies for $15 plus tax in the mail. That's up to you.

Same as Blockbuster DVD too, some movies doesn't have CC. I'm a member of blockbuster. I'll say go for blockbuster because you get three movies for $15 plus tax in the mail. That's up to you.
Yeah, Blockbuster Online is good.

For $20 a month, you get unlimited rentals (up to 3 at a time). With that same deal, you can also exchange those DVD mailers at the store for free in-store rentals (up to 5 per month). If you don't want to rent anything at the store, you can still drop those DVD mailers at the store and they will ship your next DVD on your queue within 24 hours. :)

I prefer in the mail instead of exchange move-in store, I used to exchange it before.
I was too busy, no time for me to exchange movie in store.

Once again, I like DVD movie rental better than streaming movie on box or whatever that is like Blu-Ray or something.

I prefer in the mail instead of exchange move-in store, I used to exchange it before.

Once again, I like DVD movie rental better than streaming movie on box or whatever that is like Blu-Ray or something.
Since I always drive by the Blockbuster Video store on my way to work, I don't mind taking a minute of my time to drive by and drop off my DVD mailers. After all, wouldn't to spend a few extra minutes just so that my next DVD comes a day quicker. ;)

But the movies you get in the mail are captioned. It is just the ones streamed over the internet to your computer that are not.

:Oops: Oh, it did. Then, merge it with the poster's thread, MOD, please. Thanks.

Yeah, you are right, Botts. I was reading it toooo fast. I was not thinking clearly. Thanks for explaining this, anyway. I meant to say that I prefer to stop by at the Blockbuster Video store, instead of ordering. Nexflix is not my cup of tea.

Just to clear up the confusion for you.

Blu-ray Disc is not a streaming technology. It's a disc-based format for high definition contents.

You may be thinking of digital downloads.

Okay, Thanks...I found the internet info.

The Official Netflix Blog: LG and Samsung Blu-ray players stream from Netflix in HD resolution

Netflix%20Streaming%20600.jpg

Peace

Really. I haven't look that close up. Oh, you're right.

I don't own PS3 or XBOX cuz I don't play video games that much (Most DVD movies).

Thanks for the info.

I will stick with my regular DVD player unless it's broken, I will probably buy Blu-Ray Disc Player.

Peace

Yeah. I have Netflix. It's amazing. And you can always put captions up. But yeah, if you watch it over the internet, there won't be any captions. Just like a lot of other websites. But if you order a DVD from Netflix, there will be captioning.

Yeah. I have Netflix. It's amazing. And you can always put captions up. But yeah, if you watch it over the internet, there won't be any captions. Just like a lot of other websites. But if you order a DVD from Netflix, there will be captioning.

What do you mean "you can always put captions up" ?

That is the problem we are talking about. We who are deaf need the captions and you cannot put them up on the internet streamed movies.

What do you mean "you can always put captions up" ?

That is the problem we are talking about. We who are deaf need the captions and you cannot put them up on the internet streamed movies.
Yeah, I totally agree with you guys about the captioning on the internet vids. I don't think it's fair, honestly.

"What do you mean "you can always put captions up" ?"
^i meant that when you order a movie and it comes to your house, you can just press the captioning button or however it's set up on your dvd remote.

Yeah, I totally agree with you guys about the captioning on the internet vids. I don't think it's fair, honestly.

"What do you mean "you can always put captions up" ?"
^i meant that when you order a movie and it comes to your house, you can just press the captioning button or however it's set up on your dvd remote.

I think there is a little communication problem here.

We take it as a given that captions are always used.

Well, I'm sorry I offended you. Even though I don't know how I did :/
Because I said I totally agreed with you.

Well, I'm sorry I offended you. Even though I don't know how I did :/
Because I said I totally agreed with you.

Who said I was offended? :scratch:

People always understand me clearly if I am offended. :cool:

There has been a lot about this on Twitter recently. Marlee Matlin started getting her fans to write and call Netflix to pressure them for captions. They say they will have them in 2010. But in my opinion, that's ridiculous and too long to wait. If YouTube can caption streaming content, why can't they?!

There has been a lot about this on Twitter recently. Marlee Matlin started getting her fans to write and call Netflix to pressure them for captions. They say they will have them in 2010. But in my opinion, that's ridiculous and too long to wait. If YouTube can caption streaming content, why can't they?!

exactly.

Back