Deaf Protest, Washington, DC., Sept. 6-9

Yes, I do sign. Why?

However, where did I say that he is an bad leader because he's a felon? I only said he's a bad leader because of the impression he left for u
s, and we have the right to think from the impression. deleted all the comments that stated the concerns, questions, and disagreement. A leader should be willing to cooperate with everyone regardless of who they are.

Some of us did engage in the discussion with him and gave him some constructive ideas but he ended deleting our comments for no reasons. :hmm: You do know we have the right to state our opinions as well... Why? He made himself out in there in front of everyone and some people will state their opinions in some place where the guy can't see. That happens and you can't exactly control it.

I asked about sign, because you mentioned his broken english, and you had a hard time understanding him. His broken english shouldnt matter at ll.

Anyway.

I asked about sign, because you mentioned his broken english, and you had a hard time understanding him. His broken english shouldnt matter at ll.

Anyway.

I don't really know about this movement; but if he is trying to communicate with hearing employers it would really matter!

I don't really know about this movement; but if he is trying to communicate wit hearing employers it would really matter!

This person get it, the world consist of most people who are hearing and same goes for America, so sadly... You do kinda need to try to have at least decent English in order to be able to communicate with the hearing people that doesn't know how to sign. Yeah, it's not fair for some of the deaf people because I know some of them grew up having difficult times trying to learn English... But sadly, that's how life is.

I don't really know about this movement; but if he is trying to communicate wit hearing employers it would really matter!

Zeo stated he couldnt understand him, thus my question re sign

This person get it, the world consist of most people who are hearing and same goes for America, so sadly... You do kinda need to try to have at least decent English in order to be able to communicate with the hearing people that doesn't know how to sign. Yeah, it's not fair for some of the deaf people because I know some of them grew up having difficult times trying to learn English... But sadly, that's how life is.

We dont need you to tell us how life is. We know full well how life is
As for Deaf needing desent english skills what do you propose a return to tying Deaf kids hands behind their backs against their will and forcing them to blabber jabber english while not being able to hear the language?
What are you trying to state really?

We dont need you to tell us how life is. We know full well how life is
As for Deaf needing desent english skills what do you propose a return to tying Deaf kids hands behind their backs against their will and forcing them to blabber jabber english while not being able to hear the language?
What are you trying to state really?

English does not have to be from hearing and speaking only. We all are reading English right now, and we all are writing/typing in English as well. I grew up signing fully and I did go to a deaf institute during my high school time. English is not only from hearing and speaking but they're from reading and writing as well.

I will clarify myself, I do understand Charlton's sign but when I try to read his words, his English are quite broken and I couldn't understand half of the things he's saying. However, making the deaf people's back and forcing them to be oral IS NOT the way to teach them English and I never said anything about tying the person's hands back and so on.

I don't think Zeo is saying go back to tying deaf kid hands behind back and blabber jabber (your words not mine) but there does need to be something in the education system where signing and learning how to communicate in English (by written form at least) can co-exist. THAT is what Zeo is saying.

Most people who grow up with ASL will generally 'think in ASL' and also write in ASL format. Before anyone jumps down my throat, Yes I know there are many Deafies who are pure ASL but have wonderful, excellent English skills and can get their point across in written form.

Wouldn't surprise me in the past that English skills learning suffers in favor of other things (like speech therapy :P- I always missed math and social studies because of that).

Being a felon and his English skills (or lack thereof) are not the biggest points (and I don't care about that- felons still can be hired- it's just more difficult). Seems to me the bigger issues is that organizing this protest has a lot to be desired. I haven't heard much of anything at all in the last 3 weeks about this protest. He also is not addressing what people are saying or asking on his FB page or elsewhere- a good leader would at least comment or leave the comments there. There's nothing wrong with having both positive and negative views- Charlton wants an all positive glow.

Why a protest NOW? Didn't he try other avenues first? Go talk to representative? Write them? Discussion or other means ought to be tried first... protest should really be a last resort in general (and that's just my opinion)

2 felonies....St. Johns County which is very close to me....Anyway...if you're in the public's eye...of course with a Felony Record, it's gonna come out, regardless....Some will hold it against you...some will defend you...How you handle the situation is the key...ignoring it when people ask or deleting them?...That's evading it. And it does make some people mistrustful.....that's Reality, isn't it, Hoichi?

Not saying he's a bad person or even slandering him....He made mistakes....And we all know it's hard for anybody to find a job with a Felony Record. 1 is bad enough...but 2?....

Whether he is truly striving to do something good for the deaf community, I really don't know....and since I'm retired...it doesn't affect me. The younger generation, it does.

English does not have to be from hearing and speaking only. We all are reading English right now, and we all are writing/typing in English as well. I grew up signing fully and I did go to a deaf institute during my high school time. English is not only from hearing and speaking but they're from reading and writing as well.

However, making the deaf people's back and forcing them to be oral IS NOT the way to teach them English.

We are using english here, because we at present dont have an agreed upon symbol set to write asl. But that is changing
Look up si5s.
And any way you slice and dice it. English is an aural language. And is from the hearies world..thats a fact...

And now you still looking for IT job? If you got an job here in Maryland, would you be willing to relocate? I'm going to see if I can open one up for you but some area may require security clearance. I be willing to see if I can get you one here?

I have to put on hold until I complete the college degree before I could move out of Alabama.

It will take less as one year.

Thank you for helping. :ty:

We are using english here, because we at present dont have an agreed upon symbol set to write asl. But that is changing
Look up si5s.
And no way you slice and dice it. English is an aural language. And is from the hearies world..thats a fact...

Yes... But how was ASL set up? From using English words. ASL are connected to the English. Same concept for how JSL are connected to Japanese, and so on. If you don't know what the sign is, you ask someone or look it up and they basically give you an English word. You do sign from an English word?. You don't sign from a sign. If you see an English word and you don't know the sign for it... What do you do? Look it up on the dictionary, or look it up on the Internet to find the sign and so on.

Si5s is an interesting concept but it's only going to make the deaf people communicating with the hearing people harder if we focused on si5s and didn't focus on learning English, so I don't see this happening, to be honest. We are already going off-topic talking about grammars.

What did you expect from a group called deaf thought police?
At least they came by it naturally

:laugh2:...Joined a lot of groups when I went back to FB...curiosity got the best of me, I'm guessing....of course, it didn't take very long to get kicked out or either disengage from certain groups!....It's diversity...curiosity....how other people think....feel...speak, etc.....An interesting experience!

Was kicked out of Deaf Thought Police and several other groups....:giggle:....disagree with one of the Admin.?....then ur azz is out....I thought it funny....That's why I stay with AD and now with FB....

Don't feel "Zeo" is doing any slandering...and if in fact, Mr. Charlton did commit a felony. then he should be upfront about it....:hmm:

And beginning to get mixed feelings about this Protest....Am hoping if it does transpire, it will be successful and violence-free...making a huge "dent" among employers to consider hiring more deafies....

Same here, I got permanent ban from Deaf Thought Police for arguing with admin and he is very cocky.

I don't think Zeo is saying go back to tying deaf kid hands behind back and blabber jabber (your words not mine) but there does need to be something in the education system where signing and learning how to communicate in English (by written form at least) can co-exist. THAT is what Zeo is saying.

Most people who grow up with ASL will generally 'think in ASL' and also write in ASL format. Before anyone jumps down my throat, Yes I know there are many Deafies who are pure ASL but have wonderful, excellent English skills and can get their point across in written form.

Wouldn't surprise me in the past that English skills learning suffers in favor of other things (like speech therapy :P- I always missed math and social studies because of that).

Being a felon and his English skills (or lack thereof) are not the biggest points (and I don't care about that- felons still can be hired- it's just more difficult). Seems to me the bigger issues is that organizing this protest has a lot to be desired. I haven't heard much of anything at all in the last 3 weeks about this protest. He also is not addressing what people are saying or asking on his FB page or elsewhere- a good leader would at least comment or leave the comments there. There's nothing wrong with having both positive and negative views- Charlton wants an all positive glow.

Why a protest NOW? Didn't he try other avenues first? Go talk to representative? Write them? Discussion or other means ought to be tried first... protest should really be a last resort in general (and that's just my opinion)

Fair enough. And to be clear. I think this protest is useless..and even harmfull.
But ive stated my opinion on that
To each their own

Yes... But how was ASL set up? From using English words. ASL are connected to the English. Same concept for how JSL are connected to Japanese, and so on. If you don't know what the sign is, you ask someone or look it up and they basically give you an English word. You do sign from an English word?. You don't sign from a sign. If you see an English word and you don't know the sign for it... What do you do? Look it up on the dictionary, or look it up on the Internet to find the sign and so on.

Si5s is an interesting concept but it's only going to make the deaf people communicating with the hearing people harder if we focused on si5s and didn't focus on learning English, so I don't see this happening, to be honest. We are already going off-topic talking about grammars.

Asl is NOT related to english, nor is ASL set up by using english words. Japnse sign language is closely connected to japanese but that has no bearing on asl, or where asl comes from, or hqs been influenced from. Asl has a few streams that hwve historicly influenced it. Old french sign language, marthas vinyard sign language, homw signs in american Deaf homes prior to the founding of american assylum of Deaf..ect
English is not a stream that hws influenced it. The languges are veey different actually.
Signs are not english words they are signs. Just bwcause dictionaries are organjzed, some not all in that if you want to kbow a sign for an engkish word you look it up, wct, means nothing. Thats just dictionary structures. Any languge dictionary do that for any language. If you know italian and want to know the english word for what ever, then you look it up. It doesnt mean italian is based on english.

Si5s is for us. For Deaf. For us Deaf to use amingat us..
It has no issue with english.
Its for u Deaf. For asl or other sign..
It wont make it harder for hearies and us to communicate. actually si5s will help in Deaf litericy..its about us..
Hearies can get lost...

There's one source of him committing a felony. Here you go.

http://mugshots.com/US-Counties/Florida/St-Johns-County-FL/Charlton-Edward-Lachase.819039.html

I find it funny that one guy tried to say I was doing lot of slandering toward him because the things I mentioned in a previous post does happen and I pointed out some of his flaws too. Charlton and few of his followers expect everyone to follow him like a dog, and if you question his motives... even if you're being really civil about it, he'll go and block you from commenting some more, he can't take some criticisms like I stated in my last post.

It's so easy to pull out a slander card at anything if someone see you talking about a certain person they liked/love; by pointing out the flaws and speaking the truth. In fact, pointing out his flaws are not a slander. Slander mean you'd talk about someone and giving out fake informations related to that 'someone' that would ruin their reputation.

But yeah, I don't mind the protest but they should be doing it in a civil way instead of expecting everything to be handed to you on the platter and if they don't, start a riot!! THAT IS NOT A WAY TO GO FOR THE PROTEST.

Oh wow, is he convicted of all charges? In some cases, the judge or prosecutor probably negotiate with plea bargaining to get lesser charge (such as probation) or dropping stalking charge due to lacking of evidence. The felony conviction will shown on background check.

I don't think that Gallaudet would accept him to be admitted if he has felony on record.

Of course, I noticed that his English is broke but it is common for deaf people, also I believe that Spanish may be his first language.

Asl is NOT related to english, nor is ASL set up by using english words. Japnse sign language is closely connected to japanese but that has no bearing on asl, or where asl comes from, or hqs been influenced from. Asl has a few streams that hwve historicly influenced it. Old french sign language, marthas vinyard sign language, homw signs in american Deaf homes prior to the founding of american assylum of Deaf..ect
English is not a stream that hws influenced it. The languges are veey different actually.
Signs are not english words they are signs. Just bwcause dictionaries are organjzed, some not all in that if you want to kbow a sign for an engkish word you look it up, wct, means nothing. Thats just dictionary structures. Any languge dictionary do that for any language. If you know italian and want to know the english word for what ever, then you look it up. It doesnt mean italian is based on english.

Si5s is for us. For Deaf. For us Deaf to use amingat us..
It has no issue with english.
Its for u Deaf. For asl or other sign..
It wont make it harder for hearies and us to communicate. actually si5s will help in Deaf litericy..its about us..
Hearies can get lost...

Well, I am not exactly sure what was your beef with the hearing people but the world consist of at least 95% hearing people, so you kinda have to cooperate with some of them. You do have to realize not all the hearing people are bad though.

Anyway, ASL are still connected with English in a way. I know ASL was first from French long time ago and it got changed a bit. For example, you sign cat, it does mean cat in English. And the ASL alphabet followed the exactly same procedure as the English alphabet in term of alphabet.

Well, I am not exactly sure what was your beef with the hearing people but the world consist of at least 95% hearing people, so you kinda have to cooperate with some of them. You do have to realize not all the hearing people are bad though.

Anyway, ASL are still connected with English in a way. I know ASL was first from French long time ago and it got changed a bit. For example, you sign cat, it does mean cat in English. And the ASL alphabet followed the exactly same procedure as the English alphabet in term of alphabet.

Look man. Asl is NOT related to english. We sign cat for cat, and english uses the word cat for it..so? Every language will have their own word or sign for a cat.
Our manual alphabet folows.the roman model, which engkish follows and uses. Our manual alphabet asl one comes via old french, there was a number of manual alphqbets floating around...bsl uses an enterily different one.
But the manual allphabet doesnt come via english.

I know full well the numbers re hearie and us. Im not concerned with them. Im concerned with Deaf. Hearie can shove it...Or what ever.meh

I have few friends are ex-convict felons and I don't dislike them, anyway and they learned the lesson about crime in the past, of course, they made bad choice.

Back