Deaf Pride?

What is Deaf Pride? :) It (other than being deaf) has little to do with where you come from or what your parents are: it comes from within. I've seen people who come from all Deaf families and LACK, and i mean LACK Deaf Pride. On the other hand I see people who come from all hearing families, and they *so* support Deaf Pride/Power. Its all in the head, how you are taught to see the world changes how you look at your own culture and whatnot.

By RIT's "rules" I'm disqualified as well. Myself, I was born hearing till I was 5, then gradually lost my hearing over the years. I wore hearing aids from age 5 to 14, which was when I decided I wanted to embrace my Deafness, as I knew my hearing would someday be totally gone. The first hearing test that showed I was profoundly deaf, was when I was 17. My dad himself is deaf, became so the same was as I. His brother and their father, same thing. Dad's mom became deaf thru spinal menigitist (pardon my spelling), and then theres also my grandpa's 2 other children. My birth mom is hearing, my step mom is deaf. My sister is hearing as well. I speak, so clearly (and I take damn pride in it!)I listen to music, but I enjoy silence sometimes. My ASL needs work, true, but in the last 4 years I've improved SO much. I can battle (not so well, but I do try) with other Deafies in ASL with stories and such. I boast my Deaf culture, I embrace it, and at the same time I acknowledge other people's opinions. We live divided - how unfortunate.

Originally posted by VamPyroX
What's your definition of "Deaf Pride"? Do you think it should exist and that only specific people should be allowed to be labeled as part of "Deaf Pride"?

Here on RIT campus, we have students who believe in "Deaf Pride". However, in order to be part of that... one must meet the following: deaf parents & family, deaf friends, sign only ASL, no cochlear implants, no voice. According to those rules, I don't meet their expectations.

oh please.. they r def wrong! important you are deaf and you are part of deaf life.. that means u got a deaf pride. if you got deaf friends.. thats is good enough.

i am part of deaf family myself. i know what deaf pride is like, but like that oh please. its no such rules like that. umm id use some other stuff like.. gay pride.. do you have to be gay to be part of it?so think about it.

a few years ago I was told to drop Deaf Pride Week as part of the name for Deaf Awareness Week..... as it was too associated with the Gay Community and does not fully represent the overall Deaf Community. Yes in concept as Deafies we understand the definition of Deaf Pride in our levels of our culture. In the Hearing world - the word Pride is beginning to strongly reflex the Gay community and groups are moving away from that term as it does not fully reflect the overall and only just a portion of it.

i

Myself, I was born hearing till I was 5, then gradually lost my hearing over the years. I wore hearing aids from age 5 to 14, which was when I decided I wanted to embrace my Deafness,
Pinkster, I commend you on that! I really do think that most people should learn to live with and adapt to their disabilties and a lot of people who are late-affected never learn how to live with their disabilties (Tom Bertling aka Jake O' Donnell anyone?) but spend too much time and energy wanting to be "normal" or in pursuit of a cure!!!!!
As for the thread subject, I don't think there's any one way to be deaf, just the way there's not any one way to be a feminist or educator or whatever!

Deaf Pride = You like being around in deaf culture.

Opposite is when you avoid deaf culture.

If those deaf people refuses to welcome someone into a deaf culture...they are opposite of deaf pride.

Originally posted by VamPyroX
What's your definition of "Deaf Pride"? Do you think it should exist and that only specific people should be allowed to be labeled as part of "Deaf Pride"?

Here on RIT campus, we have students who believe in "Deaf Pride". However, in order to be part of that... one must meet the following: deaf parents & family, deaf friends, sign only ASL, no cochlear implants, no voice. According to those rules, I don't meet their expectations.

oh u are Hard of hearing? :confused:

All I can say is that I'm proud to be deaf. Yes, I have Deaf Pride. Guess what, I'm the only deaf gal in my family- mainstreamed, graduated only deaf from hs, and only deaf cheerleader growing up in hearing world. Look at that, not everybody have to be qualfied to have deaf family, ASL, blah blah due to be Deaf Pride.... its a matter of each individual how they express their pride in deafness whether they support or not.

Originally posted by Strawberry
All I can say is that I'm proud to be deaf. Yes, I have Deaf Pride. Guess what, I'm the only deaf gal in my family- mainstreamed, graduated only deaf from hs, and only deaf cheerleader growing up in hearing world. Look at that, not everybody have to be qualfied to have deaf family, ASL, blah blah due to be Deaf Pride.... its a matter of each individual how they express their pride in deafness whether they support or not.
:werd: That's exactly how I feel too. I was born hearing but became deaf. Perhaps, it was destiny or fate that led me to become deaf. Perhaps, it wasn't. That's something I will never know. However, I accept myself for who I am.

VamPyroX said:

That "Deaf Pride" you see in RIT, are the extremists. I do not agree with that group's philosophy. By definition pride means:

satisfaction with your (or another's) achievements; "he takes pride in his son's success"

We should take pride in what we've accomplished in this intolerant or unaware society. "Deaf Pride" exists to encourage others to fight for better communication, better life and so on. It is a moral-lifting, yet powerful, statement that we should adhere in achieving goals in our lives. That is why I use it in my own signature below. :deaf: POWER!

Back