Deaf Pets

SpitfireMK5

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forums and I'm not sure if this has been asked before by anyone but I was wondering if anyone has any Deaf Pets?

-John

Welcome!

There are some members here with deaf pets. My parents used to have a deaf dalmatian years ago. They got two dalmatians as puppies (from the same litter). Months later, we learned that one of them was deaf.

This proved to be a big challenge for us. We had a difficult time training both of them. That's when my parents realized next time to get only one dog, not two... unless they already have a trained dog.

Both dogs depended on each other. If we tried to teach the hearing dog commands, he would look up to the deaf dog to watch what he does. If the deaf dog does nothing, he does nothing. If both were sleeping and the deaf saw noticed how the hearing dog lifted his right ear, he would think that the hearing dog heard something outside. So, the deaf dog would start barking. The hearing dog would see the deaf dog barking and think that he saw something, so he will bark too. Both will be barking at the door for a few minutes until they realize they're barking for no reason... and finally stop to sleep again. :roll:

Good question. I wish can I have dog is deaf. But I did meet old dog are deaf. My friend is foster for her... My friend say nothing that I sign language with old dog. :)
you can check out this: deafdogs.org
My one dumbo rat is hearing loss cause infection destory it. I rescue him. Now he is passing away long time ago.

I would love to have a deaf pet some day, whether if it's a cat or dog. There was a website where there was a listing of deaf dogs across US but I can't seem to find the link! does anyone know one?

I used to have a deaf ferret when my children were younger. He was a great pet.

I met a deaf Lab when I was a Veterinary Photographer at Purdue University. Such an adorable dog but with a terminal tumor. They wanted to report the findings in a veterinary journal and I took pictures. Boy, I had a hard time getting the dog to pay attention. He did NOT like being handled! I completely understood the dog's feelings. No one would like that either..... I just waited for a good shot or two and sent the dog on his way. I was so heartbroken when I heard he was not alive anymore.

I used to have deaf cat...Romeo..I miss him SOOOO MUCH! I wouldn't mind to have another deaf cat. :) Someday in the future.

When my present dogs die, I would like to rescue one from the Deaf Dog Action site.

Welcome!

There are some members here with deaf pets. My parents used to have a deaf dalmatian years ago. They got two dalmatians as puppies (from the same litter). Months later, we learned that one of them was deaf.

This proved to be a big challenge for us. We had a difficult time training both of them. That's when my parents realized next time to get only one dog, not two... unless they already have a trained dog.

Both dogs depended on each other. If we tried to teach the hearing dog commands, he would look up to the deaf dog to watch what he does. If the deaf dog does nothing, he does nothing. If both were sleeping and the deaf saw noticed how the hearing dog lifted his right ear, he would think that the hearing dog heard something outside. So, the deaf dog would start barking. The hearing dog would see the deaf dog barking and think that he saw something, so he will bark too. Both will be barking at the door for a few minutes until they realize they're barking for no reason... and finally stop to sleep again. :roll:

:laugh2:

Hi everyone..I have a deaf dog. Brandi is a Lhasa Apso cross, that I rescued from the shelter 5 years ago. She is an older 'lady' and her hearing loss is due to age. She can hear when you clap your hands sharply, but has no idea where the sound is. She turns in circles looking everywhere until she can see the source of the sound.
She follows hand signals I have taught her beautifully. Its amazing how she's adapted and learned to watch for me and look for signals. My other dog, who is hearing, is dumb as a door knob with the hand signals.
The only disadvantage to Brandi's being deaf is that I can no longer allow her to run free. We would often go to lake or beach and she's be able to run ahead. Too dangerous now, she can't hear me call her back if she is at risk.

I started to notice my 22 years old Sussi, cat is HOH at few days ago. Her hearing loss due age...

I started to notice my 22 years old Sussi, cat is HOH at few days ago. Her hearing loss due age...

22 years old?! :shock: You have done great job of nuturing and taking care of her. *thumb up* :)

I have a Deaf cat and he is seven years old. :) He is soooooo adorable and very friendly to my friends who visit me. :)

Yes he got blue creamy eyes and white hair. :)

I have a deaf dog golden retriever who is deaf I did not know it I my self am deaf so when we took her to the vet my interpreter was translating for me she was saying that my dog was deaf ohh well I have another dog who has hearing and helps me. I trained the one dog who has hearing. He is like my best friend because he is my ears and now that I have a deaf dog he takes care of her too I did not train her to do that. I never seen that before life It pretty cool. Has any body heard of that

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forums and I'm not sure if this has been asked before by anyone but I was wondering if anyone has any Deaf Pets?

-John
Yes I used to have a deaf cat and she was my best friend .She knew that I am deaf too.I really miss her a lots . Her name was Puffy. She was all white little kitty and soft.I had her about almost 9 years when she died in 1992.

Back