Deaf People & Jobs

Management of Information Systems (MIS, sometime called us as Mission Impossible: Systems) for large private corporate. Been working with IT for 30 years.

Management of Information Systems (MIS, sometime called us as Mission Impossible: Systems) for large private corporate. Been working with IT for 30 years.

OT But . . . now your screen name makes sense! At one time I frequently saw the term "sneaker net" used for transferring files where there were several computers that were not networked. Thus, they would be put on a disk (usually floppy) and personally carried between machines. Thus the sneakers!

OT But . . . now your screen name makes sense! At one time I frequently saw the term "sneaker net" used for transferring files where there were several computers that were not networked. Thus, they would be put on a disk (usually floppy) and personally carried between machines. Thus the sneakers!

Yes, that is how they gave me a nick name long time ago. I was computer technician and support and they always saw me running around the office to help someone with computer issues. Back in those days, I can't use phone and e-mail doesn't exist. They use what called terminal message and they sent me a message that they need help. Then I took off faster than the speed of token ring network. So, I wear sneakers all the time. So, they come up with the name "sneakernet"

SneakerNet, my husband also works in IT, has done a lot of programming, network admin. and security and client support and development currently. He has an engineering background though his degree is in MIS also.
He happens to have Congenital Rubella Syndrome

SneakerNet, my husband also works in IT, has done a lot of programming, network admin. and security and client support and development currently. He has an engineering background though his degree is in MIS also.
He happens to have Congenital Rubella Syndrome

Cool, yeah I been all kinds over the years and now becoming a top management, there are many works I have done in the past been long forgotten. Like Fortran IV, PCL1 and PCL2, Assembly programmer for IBM 360/370, PDP-11, ISDN, ATM, Novell Netware 2.12 through 5, blah... Now I'm mostly focus on Network Engineering and Security desgin, overseeing network infractures, and we do military and police contracts with software and hardware design.

:wave:you and him could have a good discussion
I'm sitting here in the office looking over at all his books- C, Novell, Pic Robotics, Windows, Linux, "DOS Technical Reference" etc....

:wave:you and him could have a good discussion
I'm sitting here in the office looking over at all his books- C, Novell, Pic Robotics, Windows, Linux, "DOS Technical Reference" etc....

Like those books? <grin>

Attachments

• bible1.jpg
    bible1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 10
  • bible2.jpg
    bible2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 11
There is a thread on what job people have. Check it out. It's a good idea of what jobs deaf people currently hold.

Yep, the computer reduces the need for oral communication and I hope it stays that way. What do you want to do in the computer world?

There are endless types of jobs!

I would like to work for Comcast as an internet client rep. I would not have to use the phone at all. Clients would log onto the comcast website to ask a question about service problems and other things as well. I've used it myself because I prefer not to use the phone. I looked up the jobs at comcast but cannot find that particular one or even how to get into it.

It'd be perfect. Its just like being in a chat room...its a dream job for a Deafie like me that's for sure. I do wonder though what the pay is?

I support a really unique man who is dually diagnosed in my home, allows me to be an at-home Mom, and pays enough to be financially independent. I used to manage group homes prior to becoming a other.

:lol:SneakerNet, those shelves of your look very familiar!

Moon-child, I worked in a group home for a while when I was a Case Manger working with adults with cognitive disabilities

There is a thread on what job people have. Check it out. It's a good idea of what jobs deaf people currently hold.

I was looking for one and I found this one. It's been a great deal of help. How do I locate the other one?

I was looking for one and I found this one. It's been a great deal of help. How do I locate the other one?

I don't know what happened to the other thread I cannot find it. But there are few true limitations as to what jobs a deaf person can do. The only limitations we have in life are the limitations we place on ourselves.

I am an IT customer service lead for a fortune 50 company.

Just from my pool of deaf friends:

Hair dresser/stylist
Network administrator
CIA (something...)
NSA (something with high security clearance) It's all hush hush
FBI - don't know exactly what they do, something with imaging...
Project manager
Teacher (one teaches deaf one teaches hearing)
Counselor for deaf patients with mental illnesses (includes court appearances and detailed documentation)
I know a couple that own their own businesses (I used to as well)
Programmer

As you can see, the field is wide open. Recent rule changes now allow deaf to be commercial truck drivers.

Jobs that deaf are usually not hired for:
Telephone receptionist (though some HOH seem to do this job just fine)
Astronaut
Fighter pilot (ok, all military positions basically - but civilian jobs are open)
*what else???*

I don't know what happened to the other thread I cannot find it. But there are few true limitations as to what jobs a deaf person can do. The only limitations we have in life are the limitations we place on ourselves.

Hair dresser/stylist
Network administrator
CIA (something...)
Project manager
Counselor for deaf patients with mental illnesses (includes court appearances and detailed documentation)
Programmer

As you can see, the field is wide open. Recent rule changes now allow deaf to be commercial truck drivers.

Astronaut
Fighter pilot (ok, all military positions basically - but civilian jobs are open)
*what else???*

Right on! I am soo happy to see that there are quite a bit of jobs available, but the one field that I don't see is in the medical field.

Hair dresser/stylist
Network administrator
CIA (something...)
Project manager
Programmer

Astronaut
*what else???*

Yeah, I know few deaf people who work in NSA, CIA (I know one deaf person work in GEOSpacial dept) and EPA. I know that there is large number of deaf employee work in NSA. There also large number of deaf people work in USGS and many in SSA.

Most deaf people can work in blue collar job like machinist operator, and such.

and as far where deaf people can't work...mmmm spy <grin>

and as far where deaf people can't work...mmmm spy <grin>

I thought about spy... but I would think a deaf spy might be able to do more in the background that might be challenging for a regular hearing person. Just blending in the background allows a spy to sit/observe with less risk. But I could be wrong, this is clearly not my area of expertise. (unless I really am a spy and this is just my cover??? he he he)

I'm a full-time graphic designer working for a regional division of a media corporation.

That's is really awesome, and makes me feel hopeful.... I just finished my Bachelors in Graphic Design. I have be hard of hearing (manageable with hearing aids) since I was about 23, the doctors told me one day I could wake up and be deaf, well that day happened about a month ago (it didn't happen over night, i spend two day with a extremely loud ringing in my ears). I have started taking ASL classes, but I have been pretty discouraged career wise. It is good to see it can be done.. Thanks for the motivations, do you have any advice that might help me in the job market... I graduated at the top of my class I am a great designer but there seems to be more concern on the fact face to face meeting with customers are going to be difficult if not impossible. How do you get around that situation?

I thought about spy... but I would think a deaf spy might be able to do more in the background that might be challenging for a regular hearing person. Just blending in the background allows a spy to sit/observe with less risk. But I could be wrong, this is clearly not my area of expertise. (unless I really am a spy and this is just my cover??? he he he)

You have to be perfect for those jobs: perfect eye sight, perfect hearing - God knows why. No one is made perfect. I tried to move into that type of work when I went back to federal service - no dice.

Laura

That would be a calling center, average pay isn't as great as you think, around 9 dollars an hour.

Pay rate increases with skills on technical complication.

I would like to work for Comcast as an internet client rep. I would not have to use the phone at all. Clients would log onto the comcast website to ask a question about service problems and other things as well. I've used it myself because I prefer not to use the phone. I looked up the jobs at comcast but cannot find that particular one or even how to get into it.

It'd be perfect. Its just like being in a chat room...its a dream job for a Deafie like me that's for sure. I do wonder though what the pay is?

That's cool man, I always thought I'd be a doctor, but life had other plans for me!! I hope the medical field is cool!! I'm lovin' it!! Hope you enjoying McDonalds!!

Kashveera

Its McDonald's, you can't enjoy that :giggle:

Back