Deaf People & Jobs

Awesome stuff, just watched it, amazing the transition from the world of law to the educational world...WOW!!
Trust me on this... It's not that difficult if the attorney job market is oversaturated and Special Education teachers are currently in demand.
That's right, I personally do no advocate sign language, but I understand that it is a way out as well!!
Mind you, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you on this. All I can wish for is that eventually, you'll gain a deeper appreciation and wisdom in using sign language.

Trust me on this... It's not that difficult if the attorney job market is oversaturated and Special Education teachers are currently in demand.Mind you, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you on this. All I can wish for is that eventually, you'll gain a deeper appreciation and wisdom in using sign language.

I wouldn't really know, but in South Africa, currently we have a lack of professionals. Yes, I do know sign language, SASL, although I do not advocate it, therefore I do not speak about it a lot, I have a lot of deaf friends who sign, and I have to sign in order to communicate with them, its a beautiful language, I have to agree with you there...But, oral for me all the way!!

I am sorry if I offended you in any manner.

Kashveera

Just hired for a job last Wednesday:

Teaching ASL to university students!!!

That's great news for me-- to have job experiences! and I can sign to whoever at my jobsite which is great for me! No more intepreters or ignorant people!!!

So I am safe to have a job throughout until next summer while at same time I will broad my job experience by applying next semester at some local community colleges for teaching.

Almost any jobs are AVAILABLE for the deaf community, the major issue is that many employers just refuse to hire disabled people.

I am a janitor contracted with Port of Seattle currently but looking for work so I can get full time and hopefully get benefits, too.

I used to work for Target, Home Depot, Lowe's, Toys R Us, Mojo Musical Supply and Post Options business center.

Hey guys

Just curious to know what job opportunities are available for deaf people? Post your job here, so maybe the rest of us can see what we could do!!

Kashveera

I used worked at Tower Records with my friend but not anymore due focus on education.

I'm currently looking for job but hopefully hire me soon.

My hubby working Contractor building houses... Me stay home mommy!! and study paralegal

Teaching ASL to university students!!!
Forgive me for the bad pun there, but that's so gnarly! ;) Congrats on your newest job. IIRC, you are a college student somewhere in San Diego? If so, that's a nifty move on your part, taking on a job like that to help finance your studies elsewhere.

Almost any jobs are AVAILABLE for the deaf community, the major issue is that many employers just refuse to hire disabled people.

You said it so perfectly!!

I wish that wasn't the case, most of South Africa's deaf are unemployed, furthermore these are official figures, which increases the possibility, that even more deaf people are unemployed!!

Kashveera

Hi everyone. I know it's been awhile since this thread has been visited but I had some questions about the different types of jobs and careers that are available to people in the deaf community.

Lol. Its close enough...Im a custodian. :cool:

yeah...I guess I could be put into that group as well :red faced:. I'm a measly kennel assistant and although I clean cages and restock the hospital I do quite a bit of "cleaning".

It's embarrassing for me but hey...it pays the bills. :iobarf:

I am a janitor contracted with Port of Seattle currently but looking for work so I can get full time and hopefully get benefits, too.

I used to work for Target, Home Depot, Lowe's, Toys R Us, Mojo Musical Supply and Post Options business center.

Very true! I think it's pathetic and sad how some of us here are Janitors some with better titles than others but still...it's janitoral work. We can do more than this if given the chance.

I feel stuck in my job. I cannot afford to work elsewhere I get paid a decent wage. My husband is hearing and has no problems leaving a job to find one else where. It's not the same for me. Once they see that I'm Deaf I never get a call back. They just simply do not want to hire me because I'm Deaf. It's pathetic.

I see there are a lot of Deafs in the computer world. It seems like a viable option for me to get into. :)

I see there are a lot of Deafs in the computer world. It seems like a viable option for me to get into. :)

Yep, the computer reduces the need for oral communication and I hope it stays that way. What do you want to do in the computer world?

There are endless types of jobs!

Yep, the computer reduces the need for oral communication and I hope it stays that way. What do you want to do in the computer world?

There are endless types of jobs!

I used to be a computer programmer. You still have to communicate with others at the job. I go to the person instead of calling.

I used to be a computer programmer. You still have to communicate with others at the job. I go to the person instead of calling.

:( did you like having to go oral?
I was lucky when I worked in computers because email and text was the majority of our work. Even if I didn't fully understand each task, there was an email or text sent of what I needed to do. We were also using IM for awhile except it was hard to IM while on the road, so it was usually in the office instead. I also took over computers remotely, so it was easy to do what I needed to do.

Sometimes, of course I had to communicate in oral because most of the all the corporate clients were hearing. The nicer jobs are where it's spreadsheet work, filing, emailing, etc.

Things have changed the past 2 years when Apple iPhone and Android phones are now available to us. Maybe this will be good for the future? :hmm:

yeah...I guess I could be put into that group as well :red faced:. I'm a measly kennel assistant and although I clean cages and restock the hospital I do quite a bit of "cleaning".

It's embarrassing for me but hey...it pays the bills. :iobarf:

I worked as a kennel assistant for many years too and learned a lot about the behavior in dogs. One of the many jobs I enjoyed. Thanks for sharing :)

:( did you like having to go oral?
I was lucky when I worked in computers because email and text was the majority of our work. Even if I didn't fully understand each task, there was an email or text sent of what I needed to do. We were also using IM for awhile except it was hard to IM while on the road, so it was usually in the office instead. I also took over computers remotely, so it was easy to do what I needed to do.

Sometimes, of course I had to communicate in oral because most of the all the corporate clients were hearing. The nicer jobs are where it's spreadsheet work, filing, emailing, etc.

Things have changed the past 2 years when Apple iPhone and Android phones are now available to us. Maybe this will be good for the future? :hmm:

Sometimes they don't answer the email and I would go to the person if it is time-sensitive. I am okay if it is one to one conversation. The weekly meetings are the problems. The team leader and supervisior toward the end of my job experience are the problems as well.

I had few jobs grewing up; Bus boy at pizza place, RA at group home, kitchen boy/counselor at summer camp, summer jobs at landfill, quality inspector, mechatronic tutor, Lab assistant....

Last year, I was hired as RD engineer with 40 weeks contract. I worked on several concept development projects for international agriculture equipment company. Got job offer, and I am more likely to go back there after I graduate this may.

Back