Deaf People & Jobs

I hope you will find something more rewarding and maybe getting out of teaching. Coordinator for sex offenders sounds interesting to me.

No luck so far...

will keep trying. I really like the idea of working as a coordinator. I applied for one at MSSD.

What jobs can a deaf person have

Hey guys

Just curious to know what job opportunities are available for deaf people? Post your job here, so maybe the rest of us can see what we could do!!

Kashveera

Hi I am a support worker for people who have special needs :wave:

You can do anything if you put your mind to it and bust your butt. I work as a Paramedic Full time, and at a hotel part time ( because money is nice =D ) Granted I can hear with H.A's... but I will tell you, EVERYONE told me a deaf paramedic was a no go... that it would never happen... well not only did it happen when I blew them out of the water with my transcripts from college... but on my job training with Sunstar, blew them away there too. I busted my butt and got results. I also work closely with the fire department and they have 2 deaf guys there! =D One has the Cochlear and one has H'A.s So again, do what you want to do! I will say, medical. Medical is where it's at for the deaf... Certain schools even have programs to encourage the deaf to go for medical. =) Know of a few deaf nurses and at least 1 deaf doctor at the hospital near me. =)

I'm a photographer.

I did many internships before I fell into my current job. I tried teaching art. I tried art therapy with drug addiction, rehab, and psych.... I couldn't help as much as I'd like because for SOME patients it was hard to focus on articulating clearly. And those with paranoia wouldn't have done well with an interpreter because there's a very big trust issue. There were other reasons I didn't like it not related to hearing problems.

After another internship with a wedding photographer I went this path. It's hard in general to be a photographer as your primary job because there's a lot of competition. But it works for me because I've become killer with body language and can express that through my own experience to help a model get into a "mood". I email all my clients to prep for a session with attached photographs and solid emails, it works for both of us well. Puppies, underwater photo sessions, newborns? They don't talk anyway haha.

I'm an outdoor instructor, mainly teaching watersports including kayaking! :)

(One of the reasons why I would love the Phonak H2O hearing aids to suit my hearing loss!)

I'm an outdoor instructor, mainly teaching watersports including kayaking! :)

(One of the reasons why I would love the Phonak H2O hearing aids to suit my hearing loss!)

I would love for someone to pay me to have fun like that!! haha
Yesterday I got to work a job at an amusement park - free admission when I was done working :)

I would love for someone to pay me to have fun like that!! haha
Yesterday I got to work a job at an amusement park - free admission when I was done working :)

Ah cool!

I love my job, as you say, I'm being paid to have fun! I've really have had to prove to people that my deafness doesn't stop me from being an outdoor instructor tho.

My current employer has never mentioned my deafness, my deafness never comes in to it. I can do any thing and they don't stop me from doing it. Things I can't do like radio usage to keep in contact with base, we've set up ways to get around it etc. They are great as employers!

Ah cool!

I love my job, as you say, I'm being paid to have fun! I've really have had to prove to people that my deafness doesn't stop me from being an outdoor instructor tho.

My current employer has never mentioned my deafness, my deafness never comes in to it. I can do any thing and they don't stop me from doing it. Things I can't do like radio usage to keep in contact with base, we've set up ways to get around it etc. They are great as employers!

I really had to work hard to convince my last employer that I could do my job, so I relate. I was the photo editor for a REALLY big wedding photographer. They thought there would be a problem with communication during weddings as 2nd shooter but they found that through learning a few signs just out of curiosity after hiring me that it improved how the whole team communicates across a banquet hall or during a ceremony. After a while they'd sign to each other to get people on different tasks.

After a couple failed interviews I actually started typing up a sheet with "if then then that"..... IF there's a client who needs assistance THEN I can email. And I can attach images to clarify their questions. It's better! IF you are concerned about how I will communicate with the team THEN throw me in and if I don't succeed and improve after 30 days then I will stop working for them without complaint. Handed it to them during the first interview. It might have been unnecessary but I guess it worked.

I really had to work hard to convince my last employer that I could do my job, so I relate. I was the photo editor for a REALLY big wedding photographer. They thought there would be a problem with communication during weddings as 2nd shooter but they found that through learning a few signs just out of curiosity after hiring me that it improved how the whole team communicates across a banquet hall or during a ceremony. After a while they'd sign to each other to get people on different tasks.

After a couple failed interviews I actually started typing up a sheet with "if then then that"..... IF there's a client who needs assistance THEN I can email. And I can attach images to clarify their questions. It's better! IF you are concerned about how I will communicate with the team THEN throw me in and if I don't succeed and improve after 30 days then I will stop working for them without complaint. Handed it to them during the first interview. It might have been unnecessary but I guess it worked.

That's what all my last employers have said, that I can't communicate with them, bluh bluh, its unsafe, the list goes on..... Only worked for my pervious employers short term as didn't like their attitude! I'm glad to of found this employer.

What drove me mad, it took 5 years to fight to become an instructor because the governing bodies for the qualifications said I couldn't communicate. I was so angry as they had never met me in person, they just assumed, when they saw 'profoundly deaf'. When I said I can communicate, they didn't believe me but still wouldn't come and meet me in person. There reason for me not being able to communicate is bull b/c I'm friends with a deaf and mute outdoor instructor and he was allowed! When I mentioned about my friend, they point blank refused to talk! In the end with the help of my coach, I got what I wanted and an apology!

I like your idea of handing out the sheets. Might give that a go when I'm looking for future work. In away, I think deaf people can offer more especially when deaf, blind or people in wheelchairs etc come in for whatever service as we understand about not being treated right.

That's what all my last employers have said, that I can't communicate with them, bluh bluh, its unsafe, the list goes on..... Only worked for my pervious employers short term as didn't like their attitude! I'm glad to of found this employer.

What drove me mad, it took 5 years to fight to become an instructor because the governing bodies for the qualifications said I couldn't communicate. I was so angry as they had never met me in person, they just assumed, when they saw 'profoundly deaf'. When I said I can communicate, they didn't believe me but still wouldn't come and meet me in person. There reason for me not being able to communicate is bull b/c I'm friends with a deaf and mute outdoor instructor and he was allowed! When I mentioned about my friend, they point blank refused to talk! In the end with the help of my coach, I got what I wanted and an apology!

My best friend was born with something called Tethered Cord Syndrome. When she was born the spine was wrapped around the spinal cord so when she grew it tethered the spinal cord like a rubber band scraped with a razor blade. It causes nerve damage to one of the legs and she has had 18 surgeries to date to fuze her spine, straighten her curled toes, remove ribs, etc. Many people in her situation are in wheelchairs. She's not. She's an amateur boxer and she "runs" 3 miles on ellipticals.

She's always known she wants to become a physical therapist because she saw physical therapists growing up every single week. In graduate school right before the test to officially award her a doctorate in physical therapy one of her instructors told her that because of her skeletal and neurological differences and adaptations she will not pass the test. After YEARS of school.

She ended up finding another instructor, fighting the system, and she was awarded her degree. She sent sarcastic graduation announcements to every single person who told her she wouldn't walk, couldn't do it, who didn't support her, or who teased her profoundly for her back brace.

Awesome, I just wanted to know what kinds of jobs deaf people do! I am studying to be a chartered accountant, I know I will be one!!

Kashveera

My mum is one she has what looks(if I don't think about it, its not happening attitude) like Ushers type 3(a slow Deafblinding disorder)

So yes D/deaf people can be chartered accountants

Good luck

Well, for me I get paid to hike in the outdoors into the wilderness and non-wilderness areas, drive on miles of dirt and gravel roads, did a lot of mountain biking once on trails, hike to crater view of Mt. St. Helens, hike in the burned and burning areas of the forest, play in the water, get to see the wildlife, and have lunch breaks sitting on a cliff-side enjoying the view and sunshine during the late-Spring into early-Autumn period. Then I get stuck indoors in my office for the next 7 months writing up reports and such.

Well, for me I get paid to hike in the outdoors into the wilderness and non-wilderness areas, drive on miles of dirt and gravel roads, did a lot of mountain biking once on trails, hike to crater view of Mt. St. Helens, hike in the burned and burning areas of the forest, play in the water, get to see the wildlife, and have lunch breaks sitting on a cliff-side enjoying the view and sunshine during the late-Spring into early-Autumn period. Then I get stuck indoors in my office for the next 7 months writing up reports and such.

There's always a downside to your dream job.... haha

I work in global market research for a large company and I love it. The pay is excellent and the work is extremely interesting. Most of the communication is done through emails and the Internet. There is some oral communication involved. I don't always get 100% of what is said but I can manage. The most important skills needed are creativity, maths and analytics, all of which I am very good at.

Well, I was a stay at home mom for most of my adult life, now I want to go back to school since both my kids are grown. I was wondering about online courses with Galludet or RIT as well. :)

Back