Deaf/HoH Famous People

Weirdo said:
And me! Just kidding.

There's a new deaf actor, I forgot his name. He's going to come out a new movie or a show. Ill check it out again. He looks young and handsome.

GOOD there aren't many handsome younger guys for me to stare at on TV right now :)

You know what the sad thing is? There aren’t any really famous Deaf people. If you went out on the street like Jay Leno does in his ‘Jaywalking’ routine and asked random people to name a famous deaf person, very few people would be able to name any. A few people might know who Marlee Matlin or Christy Smith are, but that’s about it.

Chris smith (deaf doctor) yet he's famous because he's in many different shows and giving alot of interviews about his carrer.

Levonian said:
You know what the sad thing is? There aren’t any really famous Deaf people. If you went out on the street like Jay Leno does in his ‘Jaywalking’ routine and asked random people to name a famous deaf person, very few people would be able to name any. A few people might know who Marlee Matlin or Christy Smith are, but that’s about it.
that's very true.. but back in late 80's.. alot people know who marlee matlin is.. cuz of her award....

Nancy said:
Richard Thomas ("The Waltons" on TV)
Lou Ferrigno of "The Incredible Hulk" on TV

I always thought Richard Thomas been Hearing? :|

Well maybe in a few years when I become the Micheal Moore of Universal Health Care, that will change..... ;)

RedWolf said:
I thought he was a famous deaf actor?
He is.

I have seen him in:

"Mr. Holland's Opus"

TV programs

educational videos

If you went out on the street like Jay Leno does in his ‘Jaywalking’ routine and asked random people to name a famous deaf person, very few people would be able to name any.
Or they'd name famous blind people, like Stevie Wonder or Ray Charles....people are such idoits!

You know what else is ironic? When Survivor 6 was airing, more people probably knew who Christy Smith was than knew who Marlee Matlin was. So at one point in time, a 25 year old camp counselor from a little ski town in Colorado was probably the second most famous deaf celebrity in the world, after Beethoven. :roll:

what about deafblind people? I add Helen Keller here on list.. myself since I was only youngest deafblind person to run for any public office in the nation few times (I am not running this time)

racheleggert said:
what about deafblind people? I add Helen Keller here on list.. myself since I was only youngest deafblind person to run for any public office in the nation few times (I am not running this time)
hmm? ur really blind? :shock: never actually knew that.

Safari said:
I always thought Richard Thomas been Hearing? :|

From here: Better Hearing Institute - Celebrities with Hearing Loss

Richard Thomas - Actor

Veteran actor Richard Thomas best known for his role as John Boy in The Waltons and as the host of Pax TV's It's a Miracle and Just Cause has helped promote better hearing for the BHI for more than 15 years; he has also served as the BHI National Chairman. In his public service announcements for BHI Richard stated, "What would you do if you couldn't see well? Probably have your eyes checked, get a pair of glasses, right? But if you couldn't understand an ordinary conversation, what would you do? The smart thing would be to get a hearing check-up as I did. I got tired of asking people to repeat themselves. For me, hearing instruments were the answer. Why are so many still suffering? False pride…lack of information. If someone you love doesn't hear well, arrange for a hearing test today. You should HEAR what you're missing."

Back