Deaf/hearing relationships won't last

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern

Reaction score
I have seen this mentioned on AD before. Well today i was in IHOP and i had just walked in and saw this older couple paying for their food before leaving. They had to be in their mid to late 70's. She was signing and didn't have a HA and did not use her voice. She signed to her husband and he spoke to the cashier. he was hearing, she was Deaf. I don't want to assume anything but they have had to have been together for a long time. At that age you just don't pick up stuff that easy. So Armymech think of them when some one says it can't last!!
i didn't speak though. I have read in AD that that can be annoying when a hearing just walks up and starts signing to "show off" what they have learned. I have never done that, too nervous i stutter with my signs as it is. I would completely freeze up. I am only comfortable with my Deaf friends. =)

I have seen this mentioned on AD before. Well today i was in IHOP and i had just walked in and saw this older couple paying for their food before leaving. They had to be in their mid to late 70's. She was signing and didn't have a HA and did not use her voice. She signed to her husband and he spoke to the cashier. he was hearing, she was Deaf. I don't want to assume anything but they have had to have been together for a long time. At that age you just don't pick up stuff that easy. So Armymech think of them when some one says it can't last!!
i didn't speak though. I have read in AD that that can be annoying when a hearing just walks up and starts signing to "show off" what they have learned. I have never done that, too nervous i stutter with my signs as it is. I would completely freeze up. I am only comfortable with my Deaf friends. =)

I know and we plan on getting to that point. Also, I tell her after every 10 years, get upgrades done on her. I was thinking enlarging the frount end 1st, and maybed a lift kit. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

LOL you are a mess and how appropriate you are the first to post on this!

Southern - the only way to stop freezing is to practice. I used to be scared to sign to people I didnt know. But now I do all the time, but at the same time, I know them now. Whenever they come into where I work they say hi.

I to have seen older deaf hearing couples around here. He was deaf she was hearing

I think the relationship would depend on communication between the two.

Yes, I admit that I've seen a lot of deaf/hearing relationships end quickly. I even witnessed a deaf/hearing marriage end up with a divorce.

I know of one deaf/hearing relationship but I must note that wife was CODA.

I do practice daily. Practicing signs and actually holding a conversation are completely different though. My receptive skills are much better than my signing is. I am like that period though. If i don't know some one i am very very shy. If i am friends with them i am very outgoing. In fact most of my friends think i am lying when i say i am shy because of that. Once i get to know some one i calm down and down have that feeling.

I do practice daily. Practicing signs and actually holding a conversation are completely different though. My receptive skills are much better than my signing is. I am like that period though. If i don't know some one i am very very shy. If i am friends with them i am very outgoing. In fact most of my friends think i am lying when i say i am shy because of that. Once i get to know some one i calm down and down have that feeling.

Don't worry, a lot of my friends don't believe me that I am shy too. If I am out and about, I will walk up to people and talk sometimes, other times, I stay to myself. All in all, I am a very quite person. Not reallt that talkative.

Don't worry, a lot of my friends don't believe me that I am shy too. If I am out and about, I will walk up to people and talk sometimes, other times, I stay to myself. All in all, I am a very quite person. Not reallt that talkative.

I am very very talkative perosn. I wish my husband is talkative but he is very quiet man! I know sometimes, he talkative with me but not all the time.... I love to chat on AIM, MSN or Yahoo messenger... My husband (armymechdad) knows I love to talkative...

off topic

BabyHornyBrat4, your english is good . Are you late deafened ? I wondered .

on topic

Good relationships are based on succesful communication .

off topic

BabyHornyBrat4, your english is good . Are you late deafened ? I wondered .

on topic

Good relationships are based on succesful communication .

:topic: She grow-up deaf, but when I met her, her grammer was very bad. I had to help her with a lot of grammer. She was writing as if grammer was based off of ASL.

That is the reason why I think deaf schools should teach in English and focus more on grammer. But also teach them ASL in High School Grades

She grow-up deaf, but when I met her, her grammer was very bad. I had to help her with a lot of grammer. She was writing as if grammer was based off of ASL.

That is the reason why I think deaf schools should teach in English and focus more on grammer. But also teach them ASL in High School Grades

Well I think since kids can learn multiple languages at once while they are young, I think they should learn asl first at home and meet other deaf kids like themselves to help build self esteem, then learn english in school and sign a english to their hearing friends that know sign and sign ASL with their deaf friends. That way they are using both languages at a young age. Learning english is just as important as it would be for any foreigner that comes to the US to live as this is the main language spoken hear but there is nothing wrong with preserving their culture and ASL is a big part of it. And hearing parents please learn sign with your kids so you both can have a real meaningful and truly close relationship. This will go a long way in helping your kids have self confidence and succeed in the hearing world and deaf world.

When i met the girl i have been with for a long time who is HH i had never met a deaf or hh person in my life. I am now an interpreter and we are still as much in love as the day we met. So that is sterotypical to say thay dont last!

When i met the girl i have been with for a long time who is HH i had never met a deaf or hh person in my life. I am now an interpreter and we are still as much in love as the day we met. So that is sterotypical to say thay dont last!

My point exactly

:topic: She grow-up deaf, but when I met her, her grammer was very bad. I had to help her with a lot of grammer. She was writing as if grammer was based off of ASL.

Very TRUE! I learned everything from my handsome smiley husband. No one else teach me. He taught me how to drive, he taught me grammar, he taught me how to be patient, he taught me how to cook a little bit that I never seen that before, he taught me how to save money (I havent spend too much like I used to) which is good and everything. He is soo sweet. I am so glad I found him in my life and I thankful him for everything what he had done to me... I am looking forward to learn more something new from him when I move to Germany and to be with him! :ty: Handsome Smiley...

Very TRUE! I learned everything from my handsome smiley husband. No one else teach me. He taught me how to drive, he taught me grammar, he taught me how to be patient, he taught me how to cook a little bit that I never seen that before, he taught me how to save money (I havent spend too much like I used to) which is good and everything. He is soo sweet. I am so glad I found him in my life and I thankful him for everything what he had done to me... I am looking forward to learn more something new from him when I move to Germany and to be with him! :ty: Handsome Smiley...

I agree with you. My husband did teach me how to write and speak properly.
He did taught me many thing. My husband is hearing too and he from England.
It is true in Deaf School is awful education. Not very good education. I went to deaf school in Tucson, Arizona. I really hate it! I grew up in hearing school, then transfer to deaf school when I was 15 yrs old. I really hate it!
I'm same with you!

It is sweet hearing about all of the learing and love from one person to another in a relationship.
As far as the deaf hearing relationship is concerned, I think it si like every other thing in a relationship, including the relationship. You get the relationship that you deserve. If you put little or no effort in a relationship, it shows by the fact that the relationship is troubled and its failure. If you make working on your relationship a priority, the relationship will trhive and be very fuffilling and happy.

I personally know a lovely sweet couple, he is Deaf, and she is hearing. They've been married over 50 years. She is NOT a CODA. They both sign, and are active in the Deaf community.

I agree with you. My husband did teach me how to write and speak properly.
He did taught me many thing. My husband is hearing too and he from England.
It is true in Deaf School is awful education. Not very good education. I went to deaf school in Tucson, Arizona. I really hate it! I grew up in hearing school, then transfer to deaf school when I was 15 yrs old. I really hate it!
I'm same with you!

That soo interesting!!! My wife went to your school too!!! I visited and I have talked to some of the teachers, and some don't like the idea on how they are suppost to teach. They are very strick and won't let the teachers teach what they are suppost to teach. It is sad.

I know one teacher that worked there and she took a break to help raise her kids, but then she went back. She was soo pissed that she couldn't teach the students grammer, she quit after that year. Reason she was told not to teach grammer was very simple and stupid. The reason will put most of the deaf that go through the school behind and lacking the chance to do something they want to do or really smart enough to do some, but can't due to their grammer. The excuss she was told was the ASL is the deaf culture's language and that is the only language that will be given to the students. Don't worry abt grammer cause it will affect their ASL if they know grammer.

To me, that is sad and the school system suppost to challage the students to do better then their best and become anything they want to be. Docs, Lawyers, or anything else they want to be!!! Not pushing them down and taking away a tool they need so they can tell the hearing world what they want and need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back