Deaf Drivers in the World

You cannot be air traffic controllers if your deaf, you're right

not to mention deafies can be distracted by texting and signing in car with friends i had to make them stop talking to me while im focused on my driving i have been driving for 25 years accident free

not to mention deafies can be distracted by texting and signing in car with friends i had to make them stop talking to me while im focused on my driving i have been driving for 25 years accident free

texting? as if deaf people are the Only one?

btw, my husband get distracted with me when he is driving. he often turn his head to talk to me LOL and he is hearing. But he never got in an accident as he make it clear that this isn't the right time to talk (in a busy road) when it is necessary. but hearing people need to focus and not talk while they are driving in a very busy street. Rather they are on the cellphone or talking to the person next to them.

India is another country that doesn't allow deaf drivers. However, NAD recently made a motion to allow the deaf to drive. I read an article stating that India does not allow the deaf to drive there because of "lack of gadgets on cars that make driving unsafe for the deaf." There is no mention of which gadget they're referring to. At any rate, a decision is supposed to be made next month to allow the deaf to drive.

last time I was there in India, the traffic was so crazy and so FAST... the structure of the traffic was not clean or organized. Often buses or cabs would zoom around each other, honking at each other. Now that said, I think they may perhaps try to develop something to warn others of deaf drivers or something such as a flasher to warn incoming cars...

we have no texting law recently passed and went in effect oct 1 in cuyahoga county (thats cleveland,oh area) we are not allowed to text and drive

Where I live, cellphones are banned. If you been caught talking on a cellphone while driving, you'll be fined for it.

Since when do drivers have to watch the roads with their ears? Statistics shows that deaf people are better drivers. Yep you heard right, Why? deaf people rely totally on their vision when they drive. The only restriction on my license is that the vehicle I drive must have right and left side mirrors for when a police or ambulance comes by.

I am deaf, and I started driving at 16 (17 now). I look in the rearview mirror every 4-6 seconds to somewhat make up for the deafness. M y hearing aids let me hear a lot though.

anyone having high auto insurance premiums cuz you are deaf?

no but then again, I don't have a doctor written note to prove I am deaf so I can get a special plate (so cops won't hold it against me if I didn't hear)

But I always managed fine without the special plate.

So as far as my insurance is concern, they treat me as hearing. They don't know anything about my deafness.

deaf_keep_honking_i_am_deaf_bumper_sticker-p128017126482912553tmn6_125.jpg

My last car accident was when I was hearing. Since deaf, no accidents. hmph. I remove ha to drive. Better.

Several years ago (when I was still thinking of myself as Hearing) I used to go shopping sometimes or out to eat with a Deaf friend of mine. She would often drive because their young twin boys would go with us.
My mother was concerned about me riding with a Deaf driver. HONESTLY! Now that I am Deaf, I am wondering if she worries about ME driving! I usually SEE (the flashing lights of) emergency vehicles before I hear them. One day, I heard a siren, but I could NOT tell from which direction it was coming. So, I don't think it makes a lot of difference, except that maybe I am more visually alert. Maybe I drive better now!

Several years ago (when I was still thinking of myself as Hearing) I used to go shopping sometimes or out to eat with a Deaf friend of mine. She would often drive because their young twin boys would go with us.
My mother was concerned about me riding with a Deaf driver. HONESTLY! Now that I am Deaf, I am wondering if she worries about ME driving! I usually SEE (the flashing lights of) emergency vehicles before I hear them. One day, I heard a siren, but I could NOT tell from which direction it was coming. So, I don't think it makes a lot of difference, except that maybe I am more visually alert. Maybe I drive better now!
Deaf people are better drivers as they are visually aware, and not distracted by these road noises, eh

it blows me away that some people think that the deaf shouldnt be able to drive.

Does having the ability to hear allow you to back up and change lanes without looking?

I never get to drive. I've never driven all my life and it's been a hard life. My father, who is hearing, won't let me drive. My entire family shares the same view that I don't drive. My grandfather says that I can't drive due to "Inner ear imbalance". whatever does being deaf has to do with inner ear imbalance. I've never been told I had that by any doctor.

Its been a life in hell not having a car, now I'm over 30, and spent my whole life walking, riding the bus, bumming rides, bike-riding, and running. For 6 years, I ran 20,000 miles to get home from the dojo, a 10 mile run home everyday. that was bootcamp hell that would never stop.

it sucks hell. I cant get a good job because it's so far to go and get one, the logistics of travel without a car where I live, makes working very difficult. I have to work in entry level places that are nearby, than to travel far to places that are career oriented.

it is hell on earth. I miss out on going to cool parties and nightclubs and events due to no ride. I spend so much money on taxi to get anywhere that is expensive.

How can I look cool to girls without a car? Most girls judge guys based on their cars.

I never get to drive. I've never driven all my life and it's been a hard life. My father, who is hearing, won't let me drive. My entire family shares the same view that I don't drive. My grandfather says that I can't drive due to "Inner ear imbalance". whatever does being deaf has to do with inner ear imbalance. I've never been told I had that by any doctor.

Its been a life in hell not having a car, now I'm over 30, and spent my whole life walking, riding the bus, bumming rides, bike-riding, and running. For 6 years, I ran 20,000 miles to get home from the dojo, a 10 mile run home everyday. that was bootcamp hell that would never stop.

it sucks hell. I cant get a good job because it's so far to go and get one, the logistics of travel without a car where I live, makes working very difficult. I have to work in entry level places that are nearby, than to travel far to places that are career oriented.

it is hell on earth. I miss out on going to cool parties and nightclubs and events due to no ride. I spend so much money on taxi to get anywhere that is expensive.

How can I look cool to girls without a car? Most girls judge guys based on their cars.
What's stopping you?

Back