Deaf culture - do's and don'ts, etc. Let's make a list!

I wish hearies would stop playing speech therapist.This is what happen and in a way it's sort of my fault.I was trying to talk about Oscar De La Hoya, the problem is I can't say Oscar De La Hoya. Well this one guy in front of a bunch of people made a big deal out of it. So he kept trying to teach me to say it right,I was so :o and :pissed: He would not let up.(I was surpise he didn't bring out the peanut butter, that was something I had to do in speech class) Well anyway, that is for the list of do's and don't. Stop playing speech therapist.

Don't go around saying "Deaf Power!" Doing so makes you no different than those KKK members going around saying "White Power!"

I wish hearies would stop playing speech therapist.This is what happen and in a way it's sort of my fault.I was trying to talk about Oscar De La Hoya, the problem is I can't say Oscar De La Hoya. Well this one guy in front of a bunch of people made a big deal out of it. So he kept trying to teach me to say it right,I was so :o and :pissed: He would not let up.(I was surpise he didn't bring out the peanut butter, that was something I had to do in speech class) Well anyway, that is for the list of do's and don't. Stop playing speech therapist.

Good "don't," Pepsi Lover. I've only been totally deaf seven years, but I have lots of trouble with new names. Oregon is full of 'em. I can see by funny looks I've mispronounced a name, and you're right--some self-styled speech therapists takes on the task to teach the dummy. "It's easy! It's the Umpqua Bank in Multnomah Falls. Say it." If I try, it's big laughs for the hearies, and just like you said it goes on and on.

One such character is my girlfriend's in-law once removed, so we set him up. I murdered "Clackamas," another town name. When he wanted to teach me, I said first learn this sign and flashed "Perfect asshole, me." I made him try it again and again until he could sign it perfectly. It took a long time until the punch line. Sometimes revenge is so sweet.

One such character is my girlfriend's in-law once removed, so we set him up. I murdered "Clackamas," another town name. When he wanted to teach me, I said first learn this sign and flashed "Perfect asshole, me." I made him try it again and again until he could sign it perfectly. It took a long time until the punch line. Sometimes revenge is so sweet.

:lol: ... good one, Chase, got him! ... :lol:

This may be a repeat BUT I hate when you've missed a bit of important information and you ask to have it repeated and when they do they roll their eyes like - "If you listened you would have gotten it."

Another thing is when someone takes it upon themselves to be your babysitter because your deaf. I finally told a co-worker point blank - "I dont need a f------ babysitter and I d--- sure don't need it coming from you. Let me make one thing clear right now - I am DEAF not dumb."

Is that legal using peanut butter as a mean of teaching one's speech?

Bet that would have been disallowed today due to allergic kids.

Is that legal using peanut butter as a mean of teaching one's speech?

Bet that would have been disallowed today due to allergic kids.

I don't know how it is today, but when I was a kid in school my speech teacher put peanut butter on the root of my mouth to try to teach me to talk.

I don't know how it is today, but when I was a kid in school my speech teacher put peanut butter on the root of my mouth to try to teach me to talk.

Mine did too. (GRRR.) Over the years, they resorted to shaking my head, holding my jaw tight to try to manipulate it to move, put their hands on my lips (GROSS), put my hand on my throat (as if that ever works, gimme a break, folks...feeling throat vibrations doesn't help), blowing tissues to show the nonplosive and plosive sounds (rolling eyes), making me look at myself in the mirror while imitating lip movements, etc.

One of my pet peeves is when people have the galls to correct a way that I say a word (for example, "peet sa" instead of "pezza" for pizza). Pffft. No matter how hard I try...I will never speak perfect like a hearing person...because I'M NOT A HEARING PERSON!!!!! Peanut butter, anyone? It tastes good and will make you talk like Mr. Ed the horse.

put their hands on my lips (GROSS),
Eww, what if they have clammy sweaty hands? :(

I understand why they used these techniques. Shame they aren't always (some people are better with this type of learning than others I guess) effective though.

How, exactly, does the peanut butter thing work? Hm. I can't imagine how it would be used. I'd've put weight on during the lessons though. ;)

Speaking of speech therapy, I had this speech teacher in middle school who had this horrible breath..she would put her face close to mine and show me how to say some words. All I could think was trying not to puke!!!

I understand why they used these techniques. Shame they aren't always (some people are better with this type of learning than others I guess) effective though.

How, exactly, does the peanut butter thing work? Hm. I can't imagine how it would be used. I'd've put weight on during the lessons though. ;)

It works if you want a horse or a dog to move their mouth so it looks like they are talking on film, but for people? I seriously doubt it!

Speaking of speech therapy, I had this speech teacher in middle school who had this horrible breath..she would put her face close to mine and show me how to say some words. All I could think was trying not to puke!!!

LOL! Can you say, "breath mint"?

Well the way it was done to me was the speech teacher would take a small amount of peanut butter, and stick it behind my front teeth, then I would pratice taking my tongue to say words like love, life,lip,lumber and other words, I do remember leaving the class and going to the water fountain because I would be so thisty.

Well the way it was done to me was the speech teacher would take a small amount of peanut butter, and stick it behind my front teeth, then I would pratice taking my tongue to say words like love, life,lip,lumber and other words, I do remember leaving the class and going to the water fountain because I would be so thisty.
Ohh, for sounds that use your tongue hitting against (the "alveolar ridge" as we learned it in uni)/roof of your mouth (l, t, d, n, etc)?

That must've irritated the buggery out of you. What if you don't like peanut butter? Eck.

Ohh, for sounds that use your tongue hitting against (the "alveolar ridge" as we learned it in uni)/roof of your mouth (l, t, d, n, etc)?

That must've irritated the buggery out of you. What if you don't like peanut butter? Eck.

Yes, you are right and I didn't have a problem with peanut butter,I didn't know any kids that didn't like peanut butter.

Geez! I have never experienced the peanut butter lesson. I can imagine that it would make u so thirsty!

Shel, Do you know if Baltimore City Schools still use peanut butter in the speech classes or are they doing someting different?When I went to school it was early 70s.

Shel, Do you know if Baltimore City Schools still use peanut butter in the speech classes or are they doing someting different?When I went to school it was early 70s.

I think that has been outlawed cuz of issues with peanut butter allergies. I can check into it.

Back