Deaf culture - do's and don'ts, etc. Let's make a list!

. . . I told her that there are many deaf people who dont wear anything and they are perfectly normal . . .

:Owned: Gotcha, , shel! :D The deaf people I have seen an briefly know appear normal, too, even when they're dressed! ;)

Im all for the goose theory! I just hope I dont get shot down along the migration route! :lol:

I concur, but, at the same time, how can I fly with the geese when I hang around with turkeys? :P

Maybe Im the ugly gosling of the turkey flock?? I always felt my gobble sounded rather honkey. :lol:

I am the crab who will continue kicking the other crabs until I am free from the bucket. LOL!

How about using those big pincers to pinch others in their bum until they jumped out of the bucket??? :)

I am the crab who will continue kicking the other crabs until I am free from the bucket. LOL!

Or put it on the stove and boil them. They are tasty with melted butter! :giggle:

Of course, the cardiologist might not like it! :giggle:

Adding another DONT to the list:

dont spray me with water if I dont hear you whistling at me from behind. Yes this actually happened today at work during spray down. I was doing my job of unclogging the drains whilst the others were spraying down and sanitizing the lines. Then as I was bent over to get a breast fillet out of the drain gaurd, I was shot in the back with a high pressure water hose. It didnt hurt but it definitely scared the shit out of me and I wanted to beat the hispanic guy that did it with my shovel so badly. But as usual one of the main bosses was right there so there was little I could do except cut the guy a mean look and shared some 'kind' ASL terms with him.

I probably should have reported it, but this is a non-union company so Im not sure about going through the process of filing a complaint against another worker, and the fact too much shit goes on that shouldnt even happen.

Maybe I need to give these folks a crash course in respect, if you can't get the persons attention in a noisy environment then find someone whos closer that can try without having to resort to whistling and squirting. I swear some of the people I work with lack common decency.

Dixie, that would make my jaw drop in disbelief IF I hadn't been the victim of a plethora of junk thrown at me and past me because some idiot hearie (never a deafie) was too lazy to walk a few feet or yards to tap me. Some people!

My recent brush with the unthinking was at church. A lady bubbled up to me after Mass. After several tries to calm her, saying I was trying to read her lips, I got that she thought it would be a wonderful thing if I could sign the songs and homily for everyone during Mass, like on TV.

I just stared a moment, trying to review if I'd missed something. Finally, I said I couldn't hear.

She just smiled and wagged a finger at me (the "where" sign, and I remembered thinking "Where is your brain?"). She chided, "Well, others can't hear, either, and you should think of them."

I'm sure she's going around saying how that deaf man only thinks of himself.

. . . My recent brush with the unthinking was at church. A lady bubbled up to me after Mass. After several tries to calm her, saying I was trying to read her lips, I got that she thought it would be a wonderful thing if I could sign the songs and homily for everyone during Mass, like on TV.

I just stared a moment, trying to review if I'd missed something. Finally, I said I couldn't hear.

She just smiled and wagged a finger at me (the "where" sign, and I remembered thinking "Where is your brain?"). She chided, "Well, others can't hear, either, and you should think of them."

Chase,

I had to read this two times, as I thought what you said wasn't what I thought you said. Well, hell, I guess all of us deafies are selfish and think only of ourselves, huh? ;) "Others can't hear, either, and you should think of them." :roll: Duh. I honestly can't believe some people are let out of their homes to attend church! :eek:

I agree with everyone who has different response about the Do's and Don'ts. For me is I hate it when someone throws a piece of ice or get up all close to my face and say LISTEN TO ME. I'm like I can read ur lips, and you don't need to get up this CLOSER TO SCREAM while u talking. LOL

What might be a good idea is to do what they do back. For example, if they start to talk louder, talk louder back or etc. They should get the message after that. If they don't, something is wrong with them!

Dixie, that would make my jaw drop in disbelief IF I hadn't been the victim of a plethora of junk thrown at me and past me because some idiot hearie (never a deafie) was too lazy to walk a few feet or yards to tap me. Some people!

My recent brush with the unthinking was at church. A lady bubbled up to me after Mass. After several tries to calm her, saying I was trying to read her lips, I got that she thought it would be a wonderful thing if I could sign the songs and homily for everyone during Mass, like on TV.

:eek3: That lady lost her marbles that's for sure!

Chase,

I had to read this two times, as I thought what you said wasn't what I thought you said. Well, hell, I guess all of us deafies are selfish and think only of ourselves, huh? ;) "Others can't hear, either, and you should think of them." :roll: Duh. I honestly can't believe some people are let out of their homes to attend church! :eek:

I see what you mean, Pete. I was implicit rather than explicit. The lady at Mass isn't the first to suggest that I interpret. I guess it's hard for some people to connect the dots and realize an interpreter has to hear as well as sign.

Off the subject somewhat, but even if I could hear I don't think I could sign songs, because I think they are more performers than interpreters--just my opinion.

Yup it is more performance than interpreting. You can memorize the song, but you however cannot memorize the sermon!

I do enjoy ASL very much but Im more than just a signing monkey up there on the stage, and sadly some people dont realize that.

Yup it is more performance than interpreting. You can memorize the song, but you however cannot memorize the sermon!

I do enjoy ASL very much but Im more than just a signing monkey up there on the stage, and sadly some people dont realize that.

:hug: You're not a signing monkey to me or any of us . . . don't feel bad about yourself, okay?

Hey, group hug everyone for Dixie . . . :grouphug:

Whoops, meant to PM someone, ignore this.

Last edited:
It's "I have always wanted to learn sign language."

I was like "Huh? Why tell me? Just go and do it." (Of course I did not tell them that, I just nod and ignore that comment afterward.)

They have not realized that I have heard that comment so many time before...it's annoying since 80-90% of them are not being serious about it. They say it but it does not mean they will do it.

I also find that comment weird since so many Americans have never met deaf person, and yet they acted like they always wanted to learn sign language like it's something they wanted to learn their whole life.

I was guilty of that recently in a way. I had apologized to the deaf customer I was helping and told him I have been interested in learning, but time and money have previously not made it possible. While the statement was honestly true, I can see how that can come off as patronizing as well. I felt so bad for making that excuse, at least I know I wasn't too far off base with how annoying that might be.

- I really hate it when I'm at the dinner table and everyone is chatting amongst themselves, but they only speak clearly when they have something to say to me, specifically. so I'm just THERE... after a while people start to notice that I haven't been involved in the conversation and will say "so kim, how was your day?" A bit of small talk will ensue but then eventually they'll go back to talking over each other, quickly & unclearly. providing that I'm there, in the room, unless it's something they really don't want me to hear (in which case they usually whisper, anyway), I just kind of wish they'd make the extra effort to articulate properly. it's generally proper etiquette to just speak clearly, anyway.

- It sort of bugs me (but I can deal with it) when people assume you need some kind of assistance even though you haven't told them that it's necessary. (ie. person finds out you're deaf and starts signing even though you're a skilled lipreader, or something along those lines.)

On the first thing, I think when it comes to any language it is really annoying when one language is used to talk to some but not to others. My co-workers do this crap to me all the time when some of them start speaking in Spanish, but only tell me a few things directly to me in English. While there different languages and different settings, that concept can indeed be understood by many.

I've often wonder if I do that when I get deaf customers in my photo lab, but in hindsight, I try to assist everyone the same way by going above and beyond what I need to do to make every customer experience easier in the store.

My maternal grandmother would call my hearing aids, "ear phones." When I corrected her by saying that they're called 'hearing aids,' she'd swat at me. Old people like that, which were part of the "old school," thankfully died in 1983. She was so mean that she'd make the devil look like a Sunday School teacher! Truth be told!

To an atheist, one would think the two aren't exactly that different to begin with. ;)

I have to say this after reading the Do's and Don't in hear, but I was under the impression throwing anything at anyone is rude in any culture, especially sharp things. I don't think I could ever fathom throwing something at someone to get their attention its rude in general regardless of culture.

By the way, I've learned a lot from this topic, hope to see more in here. Every bit brings me on step closer into this culture.

Seems as though because people are Deaf it's okay to throw pencils, pens, blunt or sharp knives, pieces of raw chicken, probably including compost, stamp their feet, mess with hearing aids of cochlear implants, SHOUT REALLY LOUDLY, and O--VER---EM-PHA-SI---ZE THE WO----RDS WHEN THEY ARE TA--LKING TO--- YOU---.

Seems as though because people are Deaf it's okay to throw pencils, pens, blunt or sharp knives, pieces of raw chicken, probably including compost, stamp their feet, mess with hearing aids of cochlear implants, SHOUT REALLY LOUDLY, and O--VER---EM-PHA-SI---ZE THE WO----RDS WHEN THEY ARE TA--LKING TO--- YOU---.

They know it's not right. They are just too lazy to do right thing.

Back