Deaf culture - do's and don'ts, etc. Let's make a list!

Sadly it happens way too often... by the time they apologize it is too late....in most cases..first impression is what counts.

Yea...but I guess I stopped caring a loooonnnggg time ago. I cant make everyone happy. I am deaf and if they dont like it, too bad for them! :giggle:

:laugh2::iolol:
Yes. Like this -

semaphore.gif

Many times I have people say "hand language" or "signals". Signals seem like the flags above or secret spy language so keep the secret!

:laugh2:

:iolol: OMG I shoulda just grabbed some men's hankies and started flapping them around like "you mean like this signal language???" :lol:

I honestly think this woman has never enountered a deaf person her entire life. I doubt she has never been far from this area, and theres not much of a deaf community around here.

:lol: At Jillio & Reba.

Reba. Didn't you wish you had sneakers on while chasing someone or frantically getting to next appointment on time? Hehe

Not many people'd chase after me. But sometimes Mum'd have to run after me in the mall even today and she'd go 'didn't you hear me?' And I'd go 'umm, no, how could I? It's noisy in here'.

Jillio > I tried that method on my nephew and explained to him 'could he tap his cousin on the shoulder?' I even demonstrated it but he looked at me and goes.....:confused:

*sigh* I swear my nephews has selective hearing when I called out to them.

Maybe I should scream in their ears next time, whaddya think?

Practice the "crab theory" since that is popular in the Deaf culture.

Hmmmmm. Let's see . . .

You mean theory where you run sideways to catch people?

Or do you mean pinch them when you catch them?

Does this theory involve the remnants of a supernova in the constellation Taurus?

Or is this the popular theory about deafies being too crabby so we just get ignored?

Hmmmmm. Let's see . . .

Does this theory involve the remnants of a supernova in the constellation Taurus?

Or is this the popular theory about deafies being too crabby so we just get ignored?

Good questions. I was wondering what the "crab theory" was, as well. I'm hoping it doesn't have anything to do with running sideways....I have enough trouble running in a straight line. Now, the pinching idea...........depending upon whom I was chasing, that might be feasable. LOL.

Hmmmmm. Let's see . . .

I should start running sideways...it is good for the inner and outer thighs..:giggle:

I was wondering what that was so I googled it. It was interesting to read about crab theory.

Last edited:
Lol, Chase but, seriously, have you come across the term much? it's ugly cuz it's from within the culture.

Lol, Chase but, seriously, have you come across the term much? it's ugly cuz it's from within the culture.

Yes, I was familiar with the term. I just didn't see how it related to the subject being discussed at that point in time, which was how to get the attention of a deaf person who was a ways down a hall way or across a parking lot. And since its such a negative stereotype, I would rather diffuse it with humor. Chase did a pretty good job of that, don't you think?:giggle:Oops..sorry for jumping that question! I should have read a bit more carefully!

But, but, the neat thing with running sideways is that you can ASL to me, panting just a step or two behind you! :giggle:

Probably signing that we should stop this running sideways before we both have a heart attack! :giggle:

Probably signing that we should stop this running sideways before we both have a heart attack! :giggle:

That would take a lot of skills to do all that at once!

No, Tousi, never heard the term and would very much like to cure more of my seemingly limitless ignorance about the deaf culture. Thanks. I've learned so much here.

No, Tousi, never heard the term and would very much like to cure more of my seemingly limitless ignorance about the deaf culture. Thanks. I've learned so much here.

Basically, the crab theory is based on crabs in a bucket. If a crab tries to leave the bucket, the other crabs will pull the crab back into the bucket.

Now... apply that theory from a deaf perspective. You get the idea.

Back