Deaf culture - do's and don'ts, etc. Let's make a list!

If you are tired of hearies just wanting to learn profanity signs, an solution is to for example show them the sign for a word that does not mean what you tell them it means. For example "eat" for "a**hole". It's many possiblilites here, and I do not want to come up with some examples that have pissed off hearies, though they cracked me up. Use your imagination :)

I should of had a note book and pen with me today. I had to get a cab this morning to go home,well the driver was having a hard time understanding me.after i had to repeat myself for the 15th time he knew where i needed to go.So i told him i was very hard of hearing and that was why i talk the way i do,(he began to understand me a little bit better)and he said "that is o.k. i am use to wacky people." :rl:

I should of had a note book and pen with me today. I had to get a cab this morning to go home,well the driver was having a hard time understanding me.after i had to repeat myself for the 15th time he knew where i needed to go.So i told him i was very hard of hearing and that was why i talk the way i do,(he began to understand me a little bit better)and he said "that is o.k. i am use to wacky people." :rl:

I wonder why he is used to wacky people since he is one!!

Oh geeez! Tell him "I am deaf but you are the wacky one! " LOL!

Oh geeez! Tell him "I am deaf but you are the wacky one! " LOL!

Yes, i should have said that. From my son meeting on monday till today i had a bad week. it just one of those times Janine vs. the hearing world again.

Another thing that I got from one of the older ladies in church last night.

"Can you tell me about that hand language you use??"

"Don't you mean Sign Language?"

"Ah, yes signal language."

"Well its the language used and accepted by the deaf and hard of hearing."

"Oh wow, I thought they used signals in baseball only, I had no idea they were using an entire language."

Not that anything was really insulting at least not to me, I just wanted to smack my head against a brick wall.

Another thing was as nice as the candle light service was - I could not tell which carols they were singing unless I had to look up and speech read off of Jamie (which for some reason he is the best person to speech read IMHO- his words mouthed are articulate!)

I just wish they could have at least put the name of the song up on the power point screen.

At least it wasnt too terribly long of a service. And it was finished very nicely by the lighting of candles to the tune of 'Silent Night'.

"Oh wow, I thought they used signals in baseball only, I had no idea they were using an entire language."

Not that anything was really insulting at least not to me, I just wanted to smack my head against a brick wall.

Another thing was as nice as the candle light service was - I could not tell which carols they were singing unless I had to look up and speech read off of Jamie (which for some reason he is the best person to speech read IMHO- his words mouthed are articulate!)

I just wish they could have at least put the name of the song up on the power point screen.

At least it wasnt too terribly long of a service. And it was finished very nicely by the lighting of candles to the tune of 'Silent Night'.

Hand signals? Used only for baseball? Oh me. :shock: This is an new one.

Do not judge us on the way that we hear or can`t and do not judge us on the way we speak. There was a commercial about a year or two ago i don`t know the name of it,the line went like this "people judge you on the way you speak fair or not" and every time i saw that i wanted to pull out my hair. :rl:

Dixie said:

Hehehe... sounds like she's either got hearing problems of her own, or she's going senile. :D However, I suppose in a way it's a good thing she's interested (and I don't think she'll be asking you for swearwords!) - in the church I go to a Deaf lady appears occasionally (normally only for large events---but I've never got to chat fully with her since I met her before I knew BSL (except hello and stuff)) and she seems to spend it a little bit isolated.

And possibly somewhat...uneducated? Maybe she's never seen it in all her days. Hmmm.

Yes. Like this -

semaphore.gif

Many times I have people say "hand language" or "signals". Signals seem like the flags above or secret spy language so keep the secret!

:laugh2:

Oo, I would so have jumped in there with the story of William "Dummy" Hoy. :D

*Chuckle* If I ever encounter a lady like that one, I'll have to bring him up and some imp inside me wants to claim that he invented the signal language. :devil:

Opps, He did invent it. This is coming from the person who used to think O.J Simpson was a basket ball player. :P

Last edited:
Hehehe... sounds like she's either got hearing problems of her own, or she's going senile. :D However, I suppose in a way it's a good thing she's interested (and I don't think she'll be asking you for swearwords!) - in the church I go to a Deaf lady appears occasionally (normally only for large events---but I've never got to chat fully with her since I met her before I knew BSL (except hello and stuff)) and she seems to spend it a little bit isolated.

And possibly somewhat...uneducated? Maybe she's never seen it in all her days. Hmmm.

I wondered if she has some sort of hearing problem and that's she's uneducated when I saw Dixie's post.

A big "Don't" to me in conversation - Please don't always say "I read that deaf reading level is at the 4th grade level" or something like this. So many hearing people say this and then want me to.........I don't know really, maybe defend deaf? Say I am sorry? I don't know what they think I should say. :iobarf:

On Christmas - merry Christmas! :roll: - I met someone and she says this to me - just a few minutes after we meet!

:squint: <-- I love this smilie.

As Bill Engvall would say " Here's your sign":giggle:

A big "Don't" to me in conversation - Please don't always say "I read that deaf reading level is at the 4th grade level" or something like this. So many hearing people say this and then want me to.........I don't know really, maybe defend deaf? Say I am sorry? I don't know what they think I should say. :iobarf:

On Christmas - merry Christmas! :roll: - I met someone and she says this to me - just a few minutes after we meet!

:squint: <-- I love this smilie.

You probably could say.. yea we have to ready to understand 4th grade level so I could understand your 3rd grade level. :giggle::giggle:

My hubby and I visited his grandmother in PA a few days ago and I got to meet a few of his cousins for the first time. Oh wow...one of them is hard of hearing and has been since birth. Anyways, his grandmother was telling me about the old hearing aids he used and she went on and on how hearing aids make deaf people more like normal people. I was like :eek3:. I told her that there are many deaf people who dont wear anything and they are perfectly normal and she was like "how can they be if they cant hear or talk? They are probably mentally retarded or something, then." My husband jumped in and said "Grandma..u dont know what you are talking about..pls change the subject before we have problems. "

Dont assume that just because a deaf person doesnt want to wear hearing aides, that person is not normal!

Back