Deaf Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck

Reaction score
Are any of you Christian? Which denomination do you belong to? Presbyterian? Baptist? Pentecostal? Non denominational? Lastly. Which Bible edition/translation do you use? NKJV? NIV?

By the way. I dont want this thread to turn into a debate. The reason Im asking is because Im considering becoming a Pastor to the Deaf and I want to know some common ground and which Bible deafies found easier to understand.

I am not sure I can answer your questions as I don't know you. You have post over 200 posts so how was I suppose to know you? I have been here on AD too since 2006.

You don't need to know who are Christian or not Christian as we all have tried being and having good character. No one is perfect.

You did not have enough information in your profile (private message). All you mentioned that you are from California. Beside, we are not suppose to talk about religion here on AD forum. It is against the rule of the AD forum.

That is good that you want to become a Deaf pastor. Go for it but leave us out of this question of religion. Thank you. :wave:

If you dont want to answer the question then dont. But I dont think you speak for everyone here. Im asking questions. I dont think Christians are better than anyone and Im not turning this into a debate. Leave me in peace. Thanks.

If you dont want to answer the question then dont. But I dont think you speak for everyone here. Im asking questions. I dont think Christians are better than anyone and Im not turning this into a debate. Leave me in peace. Thanks.

You are asking for trouble, mister. :nono:

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Chuck said:
Are any of you Christian? Which denomination do you belong to? Presbyterian? Baptist? Pentecostal? Non denominational? Lastly. Which Bible edition/translation do you use? NKJV? NIV?

By the way. I dont want this thread to turn into a debate. The reason Im asking is because Im considering becoming a Pastor to the Deaf and I want to know some common ground and which Bible deafies found easier to understand.

I'm a former Seminary student.

The version of the bible used in many cases will depend on the denomination you are involved in. RCC, Anglican, Episcopalian, Luthern etc all have specific versions which are used.

Other groups (especially non-denominational and "mega churches") are more free form when it comes to versions of scripture used in their worship.

The seminary you attend will teach you about this.

The version of the bible used in many cases will depend on the denomination you are involved in. RCC, Anglican, Episcopalian, Luthern etc all have specific versions which are used.

Other groups (especially non-denominational and "mega churches") are more free form when it comes to versions of scripture used in their worship.

I understand. I am going to seminary sometime soon. 6 months or so and I notice none of the seminaries have any information of ministering to the deaf. So Im doing some research and asking most deaf Christians I personally know which bible they use but more input from others is always appreciated. Thank you for answering.

Anij, Good question for this (Bold). Chuck, you never mentioned what religion are you from. So why are you asking if you don't provide your information on who you are. Are you a Lutheran or Baptist or Methodist or Presbyterian or Pentecostal or what? Do you go to the seminary to learn to become a pastor? Do the seminary provide sign language interpreters so that you can understand what is gong on in the classroom?

Edit: I am very blunt with you about this.

Chuck said:

I understand. I am going to seminary sometime soon. 6 months or so and I notice none of the seminaries have any information of ministering to the deaf. So Im doing some research and asking most deaf Christians I personally know which bible they use but more input from others is always appreciated. Thank you for answering.

Keep in mind that Seminaries are denomination specific - so the denomination you are will dictate what seminary you attend and what you learn. Once you graduate you work from within that denomination.

Also keep in mind that for most seminaries you need many letters of recommendation from your clergy members etc as well as stating how you are currently involved in ministry and what you're end goals are etc - all as part of your application.

There are also many assessments along the way to evaluate if you are truly called to ordained ministry as well as if you are physically, and emotionally/psychologically fit for that type of service.

There are also extensive
criminal and child abuse registry checks and assessments to make sure you don't have any tendencies which could be dangerous to the congregants etc.

It's a long and complicated process - with no guarantee that you'll end up ordained or even permitted to lead in lay-leadership roles in the end.

Thank you for the information. I truly appreciate it.

I am not familiar all of this. Gallaudet have some organzation but its my old time. if they are available there so they might answer you what you are looking for. here in this ad as you already know that there are not much of discussion about the religious. So what interest you to become this after something that has happen to you in your life?

i remember you last year or so.

Chuck said:
Thank you for the information. I truly appreciate it.

You're welcome.

I'd suggest talking to your ordained leadership about the process. It's significantly more involved than applying for typically college or university classes. In many cases you may need both the recommendation f your ordain leadership as well as the bishop etc to attend Seminary.

*NB this does very from denomination to denomination ... And you haven't provided any details about your own denomination/affiliations which makes it difficult to offer more help.

Im in a non denominational fellowship so Im certain I am to stick with non denominational seminaries. The ones I am considering are definitely non d. My Pastor knows I am considering seminary but has not sat down with me over it. I am already in ministery in the Church and know my Pastor holds me in high regard so I believe he trusts my decisions.

Hi Chuck,

I am a hearing Christian (Non-Demonination) and ASL student. I'm not sure "which Bible deafies find easier to understand" but I will be praying for you that God will make it clear as to your calling. Whether Pastor or laymen, God will use you in a mighty way - that is for sure.

Blessings,
Monica

I am not familiar all of this. Gallaudet have some organzation but its my old time. if they are available there so they might answer you what you are looking for. here in this ad as you already know that there are not much of discussion about the religious. So what interest you to become this after something that has happen to you in your life?

i remember you last year or so.

I remember your name as well. Thanks. I will contact Gallaudet. I remember when the administrator banned religious talk because people were disrespectful to each other and the arguing was like kids arguing. I dont think I am breaking the rules because Im asking questions about which Christian church people belong to and which bible they read because I want more information about which is the most effective way to Pastor the deaf. I am not trying to change peoples beliefs or arguing why they are wrong. I respect ad's rules.

Hi Chuck,

I am a hearing Christian (Non-Demonination) and ASL student. I'm not sure "which Bible deafies find easier to understand" but I will be praying for you that God will make it clear as to your calling. Whether Pastor or laymen, God will use you in a mighty way - that is for sure.

Blessings,
Monica

Thank you. Im HoH and this has been placed in my heart for a long time so I need to stsrt acting on it.

Im in a non denominational fellowship so Im certain I am to stick with non denominational seminaries. The ones I am considering are definitely non d. My Pastor knows I am considering seminary but has not sat down with me over it.
I'm really surprised that you haven't sat down to discuss this with your pastor. If he is someone you respect, it seems that he is the first one you would go to with your questions, and for recommendations.

I am already in ministery in the Church and know my Pastor holds me in high regard so I believe he trusts my decisions.
It seems like your roles are reversed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back