Deaf Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer yours and Frisky Feline's questions. I was raised Catholic up until I was about 17 yrs old. I stopped going to the Catholic Church and about 10 years later, Im 30 yrs old as of last month. now I am Protestant. I belong to a non denominational Church now and Ive noticed not alot of deaf people in my area believe in God, if they do, they really dont follow Christ. I love people and I feel God has placed this in my heart to be a Pastor. Since there really isnt a huge deaf population. Im not sure if I should be a pastor for both hearing people and deaf. Because I speak well. Or move to a city with a large deaf population.

To answer yours and Frisky Feline's questions. I was raised Catholic up until I was about 17 yrs old. I stopped going to the Catholic Church and about 10 years later, Im 30 yrs old as of last month. now I am Protestant. I belong to a non denominational Church now and Ive noticed not alot of deaf people in my area believe in God, if they do, they really dont follow Christ. I love people and I feel God has placed this in my heart to be a Pastor. Since there really isnt a huge deaf population. Im not sure if I should be a pastor for both hearing people and deaf. Because I speak well. Or move to a city with a large deaf population.

We are in the end days so hence, there are a lot of people who don't believe in God.

Know what's funny? The word 'Catholic' does not appear in the Bible even once!

That's precisely the reason why I told Chuck that he was opening a can of worms!!

I don't see any worms squirming around.

And the word "Catholic" means universal, but of course you already knew that.:roll: Universal meaning it has all the original books in it, including the ones taken out by King James and Martin Luther.

Chuck's not opening a can of worms. He's asking a simple question. It's everyone else throwing their OPINIONS in that are opening that can. Don't blame Chuck if you aren't able to answer a simple question without throwing in your religious beliefs.

I don't see any worms squirming around.

And the word "Catholic" means universal, but of course you already knew that.:roll: Universal meaning it has all the original books in it, including the ones taken out by King James and Martin Luther.

You need to adjust your focus, Mimsy! There are figurative worms squirming around. :giggle:

I know, but since it is not in the Bible, hence, one cannot call himself/herself a Catholic, you know.

I am not familiar all of this. Gallaudet have some organzation but its my old time. if they are available there so they might answer you what you are looking for. here in this ad as you already know that there are not much of discussion about the religious. So what interest you to become this after something that has happen to you in your life?

i remember you last year or so.

Gallaudet has an organization called Campus Crusade for Christ.

Home

Are any of you Christian? Which denomination do you belong to? Presbyterian? Baptist? Pentecostal? Non denominational? Lastly. Which Bible edition/translation do you use? NKJV? NIV?

By the way. I dont want this thread to turn into a debate. The reason Im asking is because Im considering becoming a Pastor to the Deaf and I want to know some common ground and which Bible deafies found easier to understand.

Chuck,

I was raised a Baptist in a very strict religious household. My father is an ordained minister - no longer practicing. He went to the Baptist Bible College in Springfield, Missouri. He was a pastor of a Church in Florida, so I was basically raised in the Church.

I rebelled against everything I was taught - as it had been forced on me growing up. I was never really given any "freedom" to make my own choices regarding my own spirituality. That came many years later, and I was an atheist for many years. I just did not "feel" God in my life, and the Bible never made any sense to me.

It wasn't until I realized, many years later, that I had been indoctrinated into my parent's translation - or, rather, their "version" of what they thought the Bible was saying. When I read it, the KJV, I got a different meaning out of it - and it started to make sense.

I actually read as many translations as I can, not just one. I even look up terminology from Ancient Hebrew to make sure that the semantics match. Only then, does scripture actually start to sink in, and I can see the full truth revealed.

I still "think" like a Baptist in many aspects, because of my upbringing, but, I also disagree with a lot of what I was taught after having found my own answers.

I have read so many Philosophers discussing the Teleological argument, some agnostic, some atheist, some Christians - that I am certain I could pinpoint someone's actual beliefs after a brief conversation. I am able to identify those who believe based on what they have experienced, and those who believe based on faith alone.

Comparative Religion really opened up my eyes too ... the whole story of Christ's death and resurrection can be found in Ancient Mayan symbols carved in stone, only not "our" version ... so it led me to understand that everyone had access to this story ... in their own way of understanding things.

It was quite the epiphany. There are no language barriers when it involves divine intervention.

I also read alot of translations. I personally use the ESV as my main bible.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Since people have used and misused the word multiple times - to clarify there are two different meanings of the word "C/catholic"

Catholic - capitalized, is short for Roman Catholic aka RCC.

catholic - lowercase means "universal".

BTW - Yoda, you made the point that "catholic" doesn't appear in the bible. Apparently applying heavy significance to that. The word "Christian" doesn't appear in the bible either ... so what's THAT mean to you???

Also - it's worth noting that only about 5% of the sacred texts in common use in the early church are actually retained in the bible. Some of the other 90-95% where left out because they were unpopular, some because they were only used by a small group, some because they were inconsistent with the image the church wanted to portray regarding Jesus (the bible also never mentions the Trinity). Some simply because they were found or written "too late" for inclusion - regardless of their value.
We've reclaimed a small portion of these lost texts now from the Dead Sea Scrolls however massive amounts of scared texts that would be biblical are simply lost ... though their echo is seen in many of the canonical texts (which mention specific sacred texts to be important).

Last edited:

Since people have used and misused the word multiple times - to clarify there are two different meanings of the word "C/catholic"

And was first used in the 2nd century to describe the universal aspect of the early Christian church.

Thank you for your time to share about your interest. I think hearing and deaf people would be great by you as a pastor. Interpreters will be included.

It doesn't really matter if the first letter is capitalized or not. The word itself cannot be found in the Bible period.

And was first used in the 2nd century to describe the universal aspect of the early Christian church.

There's no real universal aspect of the early Christian Church where a man had the power to use the name 'Catholic.' If one upon on closer examination can see that the Catholic church was founded by a group of people that defected from the church that Jesus established and died for. This is evident in their beliefs that violate the teachings of the Bible itself.

Here's a burning question: Why is there the need for a pope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back