Cued Speech: your opinion?

:rofl: yeah me too. Sometimes I write stuff down and go back only to discover that I had no clue what I was writing or for what reason. That piece of paper ends up in the circular file.

Thanks for clarifying, RD. I was a bit confused, too. I know what you mean....I will run across notes I have scribbled to myself, only to think, "What does this say and why the hell did I write it down?" LOL.

Chase, your encounter with the librarian is too funny!

Don't throw rotten tomatoes at me for my opinion ;). My humble opinion is that there needs to be more research on this modality. Also I think there is a huge misconception about what cue speech is. Some who are in the oral group seems to feel that cueing has too much gesturing and sign-like movements that it can't be truly "oral"; those who are in the signing group feel that cueing is too oral-like (with the phonical focus on spoken English). I learned cue speech in case I met someone who use cueing exclusively - I wanted to be able to communicate with that person. But in reality, cueing is supposed to be (in my opinion, again) used as a tool for teaching literacy (such as spelling, sounding out words for reading, etc.). I don't think it was meant to be used teach speech or to be used as a communcation modality. An example of a reading program (intended for deaf and hard of hearing students) that could be used with cue speech is the Stevenson Reading Program. I would seriously consider using cueing with this reading program to see if it would benefiit my students...but only as a tool for teaching decoding skills.

Don't throw rotten tomatoes at me for my opinion ;). My humble opinion is that there needs to be more research on this modality. Also I think there is a huge misconception about what cue speech is. Some who are in the oral group seems to feel that cueing has too much gesturing and sign-like movements that it can't be truly "oral"; those who are in the signing group feel that cueing is too oral-like (with the phonical focus on spoken English). I learned cue speech in case I met someone who use cueing exclusively - I wanted to be able to communicate with that person. But in reality, cueing is supposed to be (in my opinion, again) used as a tool for teaching literacy (such as spelling, sounding out words for reading, etc.). I don't think it was meant to be used teach speech or to be used as a communcation modality. An example of a reading program (intended for deaf and hard of hearing students) that could be used with cue speech is the Stevenson Reading Program. I would seriously consider using cueing with this reading program to see if it would benefiit my students...but only as a tool for teaching decoding skills.

Before I joined AD, I always thought people saw and used CS as a teaching tool. When I read several threads about it being used for language development, I was shocked. It makes me nervous taking that risk because I believe that pure models of languages should be used during the language development stages. That's just my belief.

.....But in reality, cueing is supposed to be (in my opinion, again) used as a tool for teaching literacy (such as spelling, sounding out words for reading, etc.). I don't think it was meant to be used teach speech or to be used as a communcation modality. An example of a reading program (intended for deaf and hard of hearing students) that could be used with cue speech is the Stevenson Reading Program. I would seriously consider using cueing with this reading program to see if it would benefiit my students...but only as a tool for teaching decoding skills.

deafbajagal - Well said. Using CS for literacy, can make CS a communication modality: a communication system in language of the family.

In my area it is used in conjunction with the Edmark program, Laurette and the Early Reading Intervention program. We also use it for communication, and as a method to aide with some hearing children who have stuttering issues, as they can learn to slow down their speech. We have found that it is successful with some children who have Autism and Down Syndrome, sometimes with PECS or not, depending on the needs of the child.

The sky is the limit!

:)

deafbajagal - Well said. Using CS for literacy, can make CS a communication modality: a communication system in language of the family.

In my area it is used in conjunction with the Edmark program, Laurette and the Early Reading Intervention program. We also use it for communication, and as a method to aide with some hearing children who have stuttering issues, as they can learn to slow down their speech. We have found that it is successful with some children who have Autism and Down Syndrome, sometimes with PECS or not, depending on the needs of the child.

The sky is the limit!

My school just started using the Edmark program since Fall..oh WOW! It is so exciting!

The sky is the limit!

I believe she said as a teaching tool for literacy, not as a communication mode. Do you have anything other than anecdote to indicate CS's effectiveness with Downs Syndrome and Autisic children? I agree with deafbajagal...there needs to be empirical evidence via valid research. And with shel, in that a whole language approach has been supported empirically.

Ha, ha, I fourth that.

Make that five!

I see it as a good literary tool, but I don't see how it can promote language aquisition in the deaf child. Wouldn't you need a strong foundation in a language first before you can effectively use cued speech? By my logic, that answer would be yes!

Wouldn't you need a strong foundation in a language first before you can effectively use cued speech?

Oceanbreeze - No, why do you think that? Can you expand on your logic for me please. :)

For example, spoken English, consists of consonants (phonemes) and vowels (phonemes)strung together. When a child is cued to, he/she is basically "seeing the sound of the spoken language" (for simplification purposes). Cueing is done simultaneously with lip movement(please note that this does not have to actually be voiced) and the hand shapes(for consonants) along with the hand placements (for vowels - of which in English the mouth makes 3 distinct shapes), teaches the child English through the system of Cued Speech.

I am not versed in what processes occur in the brain to explain to you exactly how this happens. What I can share with you is my experiences. :)

Thankcue.

My school just started using the Edmark program since Fall..oh WOW! It is so exciting!

shel90 - It has been a succesful system here. I also like the computer versions of Edmark and the Laurette program.

Oceanbreeze - No, why do you think that? Can you expand on your logic for me please. :)

For example, spoken English, consists of consonants (phonemes) and vowels (phonemes)strung together. When a child is cued to, he/she is basically "seeing the sound of the spoken language" (for simplification purposes). Cueing is done simultaneously with lip movement(please note that this does not have to actually be voiced) and the hand shapes(for consonants) along with the hand placements (for vowels - of which in English the mouth makes 3 distinct shapes), teaches the child English through the system of Cued Speech.

I am not versed in what processes occur in the brain to explain to you exactly how this happens. What I can share with you is my experiences. :)

Thankcue.

What you are advocating, though, is a visual model of English. What if the child has no language at all? I fail to see how you can teach them cueing when they don't have a grasp of a language; any language. In my mind, you'd first have to teach them a language, and then, expand upon that by teaching them cueing.

shel90 - It has been a succesful system here. I also like the computer versions of Edmark and the Laurette program.

Already in 3 classes (the younger elementary years), all of the kids' reading levels have been brought up to their age appropriate levels. One boy is now reading at one grade level above..it is great and exciting! Yes, I agree with u that it is successful with our program and I cant wait to see what happens in the future with it. :)

What you are advocating, though, is a visual model of English. What if the child has no language at all? I fail to see how you can teach them cueing when they don't have a grasp of a language; any language. In my mind, you'd first have to teach them a language, and then, expand upon that by teaching them cueing.

Oceanbreeze - Cued Speech is a visual representaion of the sounds of the language. A child does not need to have language first prior to experiencing and learning/acquiring language through cueing. The sounds are provided rythmically, as in regular speech (conversational) patterns.

You are building phoneme with phoneme, which is how hearing children learn/acquire language. They do not know English prior to hearing it and yet they learn/acquire the English language.

Cueing can/is used for second language learners, hearing or deaf.

Already in 3 classes (the younger elementary years), all of the kids' reading levels have been brought up to their age appropriate levels. One boy is now reading at one grade level above..it is great and exciting! Yes, I agree with u that it is successful with our program and I cant wait to see what happens in the future with it. :)

shel90 - That is very exciting! :)

Just goes to show that a good methodology combined with a bilingual delivery can work wonders.

This thread is about cued speech not about which methodology works better than another.

loml, While I value your teaching of cued speech, I got one problem regarding about cued speech, for deaf people for example, Even good lip readers or not, deaf people don't like anything in front of the mouth while trying to lip-read and with handshapes near the mouth can interfere the lip reading skills. How can you fix that problem? :)

This thread is about cued speech not about which methodology works better than another.

loml, While I value your teaching of cued speech, I got one problem regarding about cued speech, for deaf people for example, Even good lip readers or not, deaf people don't like anything in front of the mouth while trying to lip-read and with handshapes near the mouth can interfere the lip reading skills. How can you fix that problem? :)

I believe the originator of the thread is the one that first mentioned specific methodologies. That is whatthe computerized reading programs are....teaching methodologies.

Cheri - Cheri I am trying to visualise what you are meaning here. I have not met any cuer (deaf or hearing) where their hand blocks the view of the lips. Is this what you are describing?

Thanks.

Cheri - Cheri I am trying to visualise what you are meaning here. I have not met any cuer (deaf or hearing) where their hand blocks the view of the lips. Is this what you are describing?

Thanks.

Not exactly blocking the lips, the hand is kinda in the way of the mouth moment when doing chin hand position and side hand position.

Oceanbreeze - Cued Speech is a visual representaion of the sounds of the language. A child does not need to have language first prior to experiencing and learning/acquiring language through cueing. The sounds are provided rythmically, as in regular speech (conversational) patterns.

You are building phoneme with phoneme, which is how hearing children learn/acquire language. They do not know English prior to hearing it and yet they learn/acquire the English language.

Cueing can/is used for second language learners, hearing or deaf.

And what happens if the sounds has little meaning to the child? How will cued speech have any meaning if they don't know what the cues stand for?

Spoken English is very accessiable to the hearing. I'm afraid that even with the best hearing aids and implants, spoken English is only partially accessible to the deaf in many cases. I notice that even many deaf with good English skills are not as idiomatic (myself included) as the hearing. The reason being that it's harder to pick up on spoken English and that's where you learn slang and idioms.

And what happens if the sounds has little meaning to the child? How will cued speech have any meaning if they don't know what the cues stand for?

Spoken English is very accessiable to the hearing. I'm afraid that even with the best hearing aids and implants, spoken English is only partially accessible to the deaf in many cases. I notice that even many deaf with good English skills are not as idiomatic (myself included) as the hearing. The reason being that it's harder to pick up on spoken English and that's where you learn slang and idioms.

Exactly! Language is much more than phonemes and morphemes.

Back