Cued Speech: your opinion?

To remove the ambiguity from speech reading is the function for which it was designed. However, there are those deaf who will tell you they actually find it distracting and it interferes with their ability to speech read.
Huh? Who told you that?

Huh? Who told you that?

I can name two people on this board that have told me that, for starters. However, it is not my place to do so. They can speak for themselves, or their posts can be found.

I don't mean CS while speaking. What I mean is that CS aided in the ablilty to speechread.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that CS also aids in speechreading.

rockdrummer - Yes it does, certainly not Dr. Cornetts' orginal intent, but a beneficial bonus!

If you wish I can provide you with detail about this. :)

My mother and I had gone down to Hersheypark for "Deaf Day" a while back. Out of the blue, this lady - full of energy and giddiness - started talking to us with Cued Speech.

My mother and I looked at each other with blank expressions. We'd tried to talk back to her and, when that didn't work, we spoke clearly and slowly . . .

We felt as much fools as we'd thought she did.

It was a very short exchange and we didn't get anywhere - even when it was "sign language" in both respects.

Huh? Who told you that?

I'm very distracted by cued speech when trying to speech-read. What I'm finally able to do is focus so hard on the lips that the cued speech, as well as the benefits of speech-reading, go away and I concentrate only on the lips. Of course, I sometimes have to do this with some people.

I don't mean CS while speaking. What I mean is that CS aided in the ablilty to speechread.

My turn to "huh?" I'm probably reading this wrong, but if the person speaking doesn't CS while speaking, then how is the speech-reader supposed to be aided (which so far I'm not)? Maybe my problem with CS is the samples I saw of speech-reading were not done correctly.

I'm very distracted by cued speech when trying to speech-read. What I'm finally able to do is focus so hard on the lips that the cued speech, as well as the benefits of speech-reading, go away and I concentrate only on the lips. Of course, I sometimes have to do this with some people.

My turn to "huh?" I'm probably reading this wrong, but if the person speaking doesn't CS while speaking, then how is the speech-reader supposed to be aided (which so far I'm not)? Maybe my problem with CS is the samples I saw of speech-reading were not done correctly.

I had the same question. How does CS aid in speechreading if one is not speaking?

It was developed to enable hearing parents to communicate with their deaf children in their native spoken language. Cued Speech removes the guesswork from speechreading and makes any spoken language accessible through vision alone.

RIT - NTID - Tipsheet: Cued Speech

But it only works in conjunction with spoken language. In my experience the parents who "cue" believe that it is a bridge to spoken language. They believe that some day they will be able to stop using CS and have the children function using only listening and speechreading.

But it only works in conjunction with spoken language. In my experience the parents who "cue" believe that it is a bridge to spoken language. They believe that some day they will be able to stop using CS and have the children function using only listening and speechreading.

Exactly. It is a tool to promote oralism. It could be used as a tool in teaching English for literacy, although there is no evidence that it actually increases literacy rates. It could also be used in conjunction with ASL, as loml as pointed out. But could be and is are two different situations. The fact of the matter is, CS is not used along with ASL in the academic or the social setting. It is used instead of. Just as oral language only is used instead of ASL and English as in a bi-bi atmposphere.

One of the teachers used to work for a CS program..she said that so many of the parents eventually stopped cueing with their children due to their children not developing oral skills like they expected.

One of the teachers used to work for a CS program..she said that so many of the parents eventually stopped cueing with their children due to their children not developing oral skills like they expected.

I guess that's one of the reasons, that after a 40 year history of CS, we are still not seeing evidence of success other than in a few anecdotal reports.

I'm hh/d and use ASL(&PSE) as well as spoken&written English, and remember a little French from my school days.

(I was born with SSD & chronic ear infections on my H side - I later started losing my hearing on the "hearing side" - as a result I was able to mostly understand speech most of the time during my language acquisition years, making it easier for me to learn most of the sounds of English, although I still have issues with the language, thank heaven's for computer spell check !!)

I'm currently debating learning CS - not to replace anything, but to facilitate learning Latin and Hebrew which will likely be required for my M.Div.

The issue here is - I use ASL/English interpreters in class - however if words and sentences are being spoken in Hebrew, how do we communicate what they sound/or even spell like to me so I can repeat them back ?

ok.. I am not good at making myself clear sometimes. What I am trying to say is that I think once a person becomes proficient at CS they understand mouth movements and the phonetics associated with them thus allowing for ease of lipreading. I hope that makes sense

Interesting, I only remembered I got distracted when I had to understand the 8 handshapes at the begin it was hard because it takes time and practice to understand the 8 handshapes with cued speech. It's like get ur hands away from ur mouth, I can't read your lips. :giggle:

What I am trying to say is that I think once a person becomes proficient at CS they understand mouth movements and the phonetics associated with them thus allowing for ease of lipreading.

Drummer, I figured you must mean something like that. Ha ha ha, I'm always writing something that makes perfect sense at the time, but when I go back I'm always: "What was I thinking?" Sometimes there's no clue.

Cued speech: Recently I was trying to follow the speech of a librarian who kept touching a finger, sometimes two or three, to at the corner of his mouth. I finally asked, "Are you cueing?" He thought I said "chewing," and admitted he was adjusting nicotine gum to stop smoking. It was hilarious untangling and explaining misconceptions.

It's like get ur hands away from ur mouth, I can't read your lips. :giggle:

Me, too, Cheri. Did you stick with the cueing or have to give it up?

Me, too, Cheri. Did you stick with the cueing or have to give it up?

My dad took us out because it wasn't working for us, so he put us in oral program, that wasn't easy either, because the some teachers intend to talk to the board, it's like "Hello?" :giggle:

My dad took us out because it wasn't working for us, so he put us in oral program, that wasn't easy either, because the some teachers intend to talk to the board, it's like "Hello?" :giggle:
Lol! One of my uni teachers does that. I told her "Don't move around too much, because though I'm not deaf, I do have to lipread. Especially you, because you're like, the quietest teacher ever."

So she tries for half an hour, then whizzes around the room after that (and dances!). So I didn't continue going to her lessons, because let's face it; why go to not understand what's being said? I'm glad I did exact same lesson last year, otherwise I'd be so stressed with it!

Drummer, I figured you must mean something like that. Ha ha ha, I'm always writing something that makes perfect sense at the time, but when I go back I'm always: "What was I thinking?" Sometimes there's no clue.
:rofl: yeah me too. Sometimes I write stuff down and go back only to discover that I had no clue what I was writing or for what reason. That piece of paper ends up in the circular file.

Back