Conversations in Threads

This is a bit like going on hiking without looking on the map to go off track and getting lost in somewhere. Makes it harder to find the correct direction.

Now now now... let's not go off topic.

There you go trying to start a conversation in this thread.

I think I'll lock this thread soon.

Is it a possible to make deaf community to be similiar as " hearing " community ? Think that " hearing " people usually don't go off topic like deaf people do ?

Ha ha ha, this thread is turning into "How many ways can we mess up VamPyroX's name?"

I like Vampox. Sounds like a serious disease you need to vaccinate against.

:laugh2:

Is it a possible to make deaf community to be similiar as " hearing " community ? Think that " hearing " people usually don't go off topic like deaf people do ?
It's not about deaf people having a tendency to going off topic more than hearing people, it's a matter of respect.

Yes, hearing people go off-topic too... but that doesn't give us deaf people a valid excuse to do the same.

Going off-topic from time to time is alright, but going off-topic for a very long time is not good.

In person-to-person conversations, topics may change from one thing to another and that's alright. It's just between 2 or 3 people (maybe a few more). However, if it's a public discussion where people discuss one topic, it isn't fair for the creator when people come in and "hijack" a thread by going off-topic and keep going off-topic by having a conversation in someone else's thread. That's like going to class in college and 2 hearing guys talking and laughing with each other for the whole class to hear. That's disrespectful.

It's not about deaf people having a tendency to going off topic more than hearing people, it's a matter of respect.

Yes, hearing people go off-topic too... but that doesn't give us deaf people a valid excuse to do the same.

Going off-topic from time to time is alright, but going off-topic for a very long time is not good.

In person-to-person conversations, topics may change from one thing to another and that's alright. It's just between 2 or 3 people (maybe a few more). However, if it's a public discussion where people discuss one topic, it isn't fair for the creator when people come in and "hijack" a thread by going off-topic and keep going off-topic by having a conversation in someone else's thread. That's like going to class in college and 2 hearing guys talking and laughing with each other for the whole class to hear. That's disrespectful.

Okay, I understand.... if it is about me that involved, please accept my apologizes.

NO I'M NOT WITH YOU! YOU DOMESTIC DISSENT! :mad2:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with dissent. It's our right and (according to The Constitution) our duty to question the powers that be. The least we can do for our country is to prosecute the war criminals in the white house and make sure they and their friends rot in prison for their rest of their lives.

That's ME being a good American. OK? And it's my right to do so.

:lol:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with dissent. It's our right and (according to The Constitution) our duty to question the powers that be. The least we can do for our country is to prosecute the war criminals in the white house and make sure they and their friends rot in prison for their rest of their lives.

Well said.

whoa I think you're going way off the base. This thread was about conversations going off tracked. I didn't care and it's human to digress. If there's someone who is being a fascist to keep it on the line.... that's why I blurted out - "YOU DOMESTIC DISSENT!"

whoa I think you're going way off the base. This thread was about conversations going off tracked. I didn't care and it's human to digress. If there's someone who is being a fascist to keep it on the line.... that's why I blurted out - "YOU DOMESTIC DISSENT!"

:topic: :laugh2:

I've noticed lately that some members have been changing threads into places for them to have conversations or their own fun.

This needs to stop. The more you do it, the more threads that end up getting locked. This is also considered a major off-topic violation.

Thanks.

Hello VamPyrox,

Do you think it would be logical to allow more off topic in General Chat forum and less in other designated forums? That way you can enforce the rules while still giving people a forum area where they can chat.

I guess this happens because some people spend more than ten, fifteen minutes here and instead of leaving couple messages to couple threads they do want to have a conversation (which also happens right now in this very thread). If there can be a forum section people can spend their time and energy, I guess it might be easier to stay on topic in other forums and threads.

Private messages doesnt work that way, because its limited to two people. If you can point a place where light topic (which has a topic to start with but conversation is allowed to evolve) threads can be started without getting locked, it might be helpful to everybody.

Just a suggestion
Hermes

Hello VamPyrox,

Do you think it would be logical to allow more off topic in General Chat forum and less in other designated forums? That way you can enforce the rules while still giving people a forum area where they can chat.

I guess this happens because some people spend more than ten, fifteen minutes here and instead of leaving couple messages to couple threads they do want to have a conversation (which also happens right now in this very thread). If there can be a forum section people can spend their time and energy, I guess it might be easier to stay on topic in other forums and threads.

Private messages doesnt work that way, because its limited to two people. If you can point a place where light topic (which has a topic to start with but conversation is allowed to evolve) threads can be started without getting locked, it might be helpful to everybody.

Just a suggestion
Hermes
I never said Private Messages. I said Visitor Messages... which is public.

Secondly, "General Discussion" is for anything that doesn't fit the other sections. So, if someone wanted to discuss something and couldn't find any other place to put it... he would put it here. Should that give us a right to "hijack" that thread simply because it's under "General Discussions"? That thread should be treated the same as every other thread... with respect.

Yes, people do sorta go off-topic from time to time. That happens in every section. But the bigger issue is going off-topic and staying off-topic throughout the thread.

I never said Private Messages. I said Visitor Messages... which is public.

Secondly, "General Discussion" is for anything that doesn't fit the other sections. So, if someone wanted to discuss something and couldn't find any other place to put it... he would put it here. Should that give us a right to "hijack" that thread simply because it's under "General Discussions"? That thread should be treated the same as every other thread... with respect.

Yes, people do sorta go off-topic from time to time. That happens in every section. But the bigger issue is going off-topic and staying off-topic throughout the thread.

Sorry my mistake with private/visitor messages thing. Visitor messages always seemed to me like a message wall where people leave notes to each others profile.

You are right about hijacking other people's thread. I didnt mean threads under General Discussion should be allowed to be hijacked. I was asking how having a lounge area where following the topic rules are more relaxed would be. Maybe its not a good idea, but it was a suggestion.

I suggested it because I noticed something yesterday. There was a thread going off topic and people were actually staying to talk to each other. Nothing intellectual came out of that thread, but there was a connection although it was in a silly way. Other days I see members on the site but I notice threads are moving too slow. People say couple things on specific topics and then everything stops, everybody waits.

These are my observations. Besides that I will follow the forum rules while I am here.

Thank you
Hermes

well I think I get bored with some threads cuz due to drama and all.. but if you guys want to get attention just go to PM or exchange your aim or yahoo even msn messanger so you guys can chat instead of carrying on a conversation here in thread.. ;)

2nd of all I don't like the idea of having chat room cuz i had experienced chatting in deafchat and chat room on aol it gets old real fast cuz of drama and fights and backstabbing even gossips so I eventually moved on so i prefer use ims ;) it worked good for me so far ;)

well I think I get bored with some threads cuz due to drama and all.. but if you guys want to get attention just go to PM or exchange your aim or yahoo even msn messanger so you guys can chat instead of carrying on a conversation here in thread.. ;)

2nd of all I don't like the idea of having chat room cuz i had experienced chatting in deafchat and chat room on aol it gets old real fast cuz of drama and fights and backstabbing even gossips so I eventually moved on so i prefer use ims ;) it worked good for me so far ;)

I've been in a chat room for five or six years and we've survived. :P

Back