CI--Deaf or Hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did sign in SEE in my eariler childhood. I was forced to speak and sign in SEE at the same time. It didnt work out for me either.

There was an early attempt to teach me SEE. It was so tedious and I kept slipping back into ASL that they quickly gave up. I still know SEE and cringe every time my girlfriend uses it. It slips in to casual conversation as she used SEE for many many years and did not learn ASL until recently. I have a lot of work ahead of me!!! LOL!

Give me a conceptual language any day of the week!!!

No, it's Microsoft, but it is called "Sticky Notes". I have OneNote, too, and tried it for keeping some research organized, but I really didn't think it was that useful. Guess it's just a matter of preference.

I just might share your preference as I have tried OneNote and really don't like it much. I will try Sticky Notes. Thanks for the tip! :)

I just might share your preference as I have tried OneNote and really don't like it much. I will try Sticky Notes. Thanks for the tip! :)

NP. I hope you find it useful. I was the queen of post its until I discovered it! The forests thank me.:giggle:

OTher thread is locked and google is banned. what a great day on the heat wave! :thumb:

I learned SEE first as well. Since we didn't always properly capitalize our words in prose, she had us sign the beginning of every sentence in a circle so we'd remember how to capitalize the start of every sentence. :P

Ohh How can I forget about capitalize words. I hated that but that was a short time, like first see then total communication before I went to gallaudet I found my comfortable ASL! :roll:

Thanks, Bott! :bowdown::D

Now, I wonder what do you call "fixing to" as in "I'm fixing to go to the store"? :hmm::lol:

Wirelessly posted

ash345 said:
Wirelessly posted

usually dinner. Plus we always do our family nights and church lessons in ASL. We also use it to teach some new concepts or reteach vocabulary that she knew in ASL but doesn't know in English.

so in otherwords, your deaf child has very little voice off time... and she must fit herself into your schedule, and into your life... you are the parents, you should give yourself into her needs. you Said you use it to teach vocabulary that she knows in ASL, but not english... so you still only want her to really know english... thats how its sounding to me... and using ASL as only a krutch... ASL is her natural language... NOT english... just admit... you are an audist... there is NOTHING you can say that will convince the majority of us that you aren't.

no, i'm not an audist or i wouldn't be raising my child bilingually with ASL and english.

so, according to you, a bilingual child is not allowed to use their second language at school, or at home, or with their families and if they need a concept explained in their first language they are not naturally acquiring the second....hmmm, i wonder how kids possible ever learn that second language if they are never exposed to it and never allowed to iuse it.

Wirelessly posted

Jiro said:
i don't know SEE. Never have, never will.

if you're signing ASL in English - that's SEE.

as i said, i am using ASL and english seperately. There are times that are ASL and times that are english.

i also said that if she is struggling with a concept in english, we can use ASL to explain it and we have used ASL that she already knew to teach her things in English.

Wirelessly posted

Shoshana said:
Parents, speaking for yourselves, what made you decide to have your child oral or to use sign?

we started very "tc" with my daughter. We would sign and talk at the same time. By age three it was very clear that she understood ASL better than english word order so we went voice off.

my daughter got very little spoken language benefit from her hearing aids but wore them for enviromental sounds and things like calling her name.

at age 5 her loss progressed to the level of severe and we got her an implant. The change was immediate. She began asking us for the spoken names of objects the very same day.

after almost a year of struggling with her ASL school to provide listening and spoken language services (we had the therapist refuse to not sim com during private speech and told us that she "doesn't teach language") (and we did not ask for AVT, AVT has very specific rules and we do not follow them) we as a family decided to move her to a spoken language, deaf program. My daughter was 6 at the time and was asking to learn more spoken language.

we believe she will use both languages to be successful.

Wirelessly posted

we started very "tc" with my daughter. We would sign and talk at the same time. By age three it was very clear that she understood ASL better than english word order so we went voice off.

my daughter got very little spoken language benefit from her hearing aids but wore them for enviromental sounds and things like calling her name.

at age 5 her loss progressed to the level of severe and we got her an implant. The change was immediate. She began asking us for the spoken names of objects the very same day.

after almost a year of struggling with her ASL school to provide listening and spoken language services (we had the therapist refuse to not sim com during private speech and told us that she "doesn't teach language") (and we did not ask for AVT, AVT has very specific rules and we do not follow them) we as a family decided to move her to a spoken language, deaf program. My daughter was 6 at the time and was asking to learn more spoken language.

It sounds like you are taking into consideration the changes your daughter is going through and adjusting your techniques/methods to match her. This is encouraging, I have seen too many parents stick to one thing because that is what the "professional" told them to use. Having been a particularly difficult child to educate, I can certainly understand how parents can get frustrated with the whole communication challenges. Kudos to you for sticking it through! You may never know if you made the right choices, but you are making choices you think are best for your child, I don't think we can ask anything more from a parent.

Wirelessly posted

Cheetah said:
Wirelessly posted

It sounds like you are taking into consideration the changes your daughter is going through and adjusting your techniques/methods to match her. This is encouraging, I have seen too many parents stick to one thing because that is what the "professional" told them to use. Having been a particularly difficult child to educate, I can certainly understand how parents can get frustrated with the whole communication challenges. Kudos to you for sticking it through! You may never know if you made the right choices, but you are making choices you think are best for your child, I don't think we can ask anything more from a parent.

thank you very much. Every decision we have made has been long struggled with and prayed about (except ASL, that was easy! We just started and she took off!) and often tears were shed because change, while often neccesary, is not easy. I have often said that things were so clear when she was in the bi-bi school and had no spoken language! She had a clear path and it was one that many had been down, so we knew we had guides. Now, her path is truely only her own!

I learned SEE first as well. Since we didn't always properly capitalize our words in prose, she had us sign the beginning of every sentence in a circle so we'd remember how to capitalize the start of every sentence. :P

I actually groaned out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back