CI--Deaf or Hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, Grendel, CSign ... you guys need to back off, seriously.

MY personal experience:

I went to a Deaf institute, my mom was an interpreter, everyone in my family signed, i had deaf people sleep over at my house, i slept over at theirs, etc etc etc... Even had a Deaf girlfriend in high school.

Had a Deaf daughter, with a Deaf girlfriend at the time, dated CAPTIAL Deaf girlfriends afterwards....

I never FOUND the "Deaf" in me till i was about 27
, after all the things I listed above.

You can't decide for the child their identity they choose.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and pull a GrendelQ here.

Hell, you can't even determine your child's sexual preferences at 5. You really can't go out and say ... "my kid's straight because s/he is flirting members of the opposite sex at her age." Then all of a sudden at 13 your kid goes out and tell you "Hey, I am not straight."

HOW COOL that your mom was an interpreter! You are very lucky :)

I cant help but giggle about the sexual prefrence thing because I guess thats a good comparison. I didnt know what "gay" was until I was almost 14 years old :Oops: :roll:

Too late. I already provided it several posts back.:laugh2: Now people can click on either one, as see (no pun intended) what you actually said. Got pretty nasty, as I recall, and got locked. Sound familiar?:laugh2:

Yes, they will see that I clearly supported the use of ASL and SEE. They will also see that I chose to use SEE with my son in his early years for a very specific purpose. Fancy that- it fulfilled it's purpose.

It did not get locked, I just stopped posting on that thread because I was getting tired of being called an audist and having to defend myself. It did get nasty- it sure didn't come from me though.

Now, why don't we get this thread back on track instead of making libelous claims against me. This isn't a thread about me, remember?

CI- Deaf or hearing? I say d/Deaf

Yes, they will see that I clearly supported the use of ASL and SEE. They will also see that I chose to use SEE with my son in his early years for a very specific purpose. Fancy that- it fulfilled it's purpose.

It did not get locked, I just stopped posting on that thread because I was getting tired of being called an audist and having to defend myself. It did get nasty- it sure didn't come from me though.

Now, why don't we get this thread back on track instead of making libelous claims against me. This isn't a thread about me, remember?

CI- Deaf or hearing? I say d/Deaf

Yeah, why don't we? You are the one that took it off topic with your need to jumo in and get into a discussion that did not concern you. You really need to get rid of your need to get involved in anything that you think is negative toward me. The internet is really no place to play out your silly little personal grudges. You just end up looking petty and ignorant.

Nice :D So you got involved in Deaf culture and such when your son was younger?

Yes. From the time he was diagnosed. When he was less than a year old, I went to a local Deaf club, walked and and said, "I need your help. I have a deaf son, and I don't know what it is to be a deaf child. I'm hoping you will teach me." And it is all history from there.

Before entering the Deaf club, I had already started using sign with my son, because what the oralists were telling me just did not make sense to me.

Yes. From the time he was diagnosed. When he was less than a year old, I went to a local Deaf club, walked and and said, "I need your help. I have a deaf son, and I don't know what it is to be a deaf child. I'm hoping you will teach me." And it is all history from there.

Before entering the Deaf club, I had already started using sign with my son, because what the oralists were telling me just did not make sense to me.

That's of interest to me. For most hearing, it makes sense to them. What was it about oralism that didn't make sense to you?

For me oralism doesn't make sense because I am deaf so trying to do as the hearing do is not possible for me.

That's of interest to me. For most hearing, it makes sense to them. What was it about oralism that didn't make sense to you?

For me oralism doesn't make sense because I am deaf so trying to do as the hearing do is not possible for me.

Trying to make a child that can't hear use their hearing for understanding and communication. Forcing a child to use their weakest sense to make sense of their world when they could more easily use their strongest sense just did not jive for me. Maybe it was because I already had a strong background in psychology.

I mean, they would telll me, 'But he has to learn to live in a hearing world." and my reply always was, "He has to learn what his deaf world is first."

Trying to make a child that can't hear use their hearing for understanding and communication. Forcing a child to use their weakest sense to make sense of their world when they could more easily use their strongest sense just did not jive for me. Maybe it was because I already had a strong background in psychology.

:ty: I wish more people thought as you do.

I think it's because hearing people don't really understand the concept of deafness.

I think it's because hearing people don't really understand the concept of deafness.

You are so right. It took me a lot of trial and error to be able to switch perspectives accurately. A lot of forehead smacking and self correction was involved.:lol:

You are so right. It took me a lot of trial and error to be able to switch perspectives accurately. A lot of forehead smacking and self correction was involved.:lol:

I can imagine!

What a good Parent :applause:

I wish I had parents like you... my parents thought it was best for me to try and be hearing... to hide my deafness... :ty: for being who you are... i'm sure your son appreciates it.

I wish I had parents like you... my parents thought it was best for me to try and be hearing... to hide my deafness... :ty: for being who you are... i'm sure your son appreciates it.

Well, after he got older and realized how some other deaf kids were raised, he appreciated it.:giggle:

But seriously, I'm sure your parents did what they thought was best. It is just really unfortunate that the oralists are the first to get ahold of parents. Parents are confused and frightened, and they listen to what these so called experts tell them because they don't know what else to do. That is why I speak out so strongly against oral philosophies and audist perpsectives here. The parents of newly diagnosed children need to know that there is another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back