CI--Deaf or Hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got to agree with Jillio here. At 5 years old, I'm in Kindergarten. I'm concerned about whether my dress looks cute among my playmates. I'm concerned about where the glue is for pasting my cut-out dolls onto paper. I'm concerned about finding the yellow paper I want to use as a background for my "pretty" drawing. I'm not concerned about whether my shoes are tied. I'm not concerned about whether I'm signing correctly. Heck, at 5, I'm signing the best I can, right? I'm not concerned about crying if my classmate won't share his scissors or ride his/her bike with me. Am I concerned about how Deaf I am at this point? Not really. I've been there and done that.

Like I said, identity development is a process that happens over time. And yes, 5 year olds can and do have a sense of identity.

Identity Development - Aspects of Identity - Adolescents, Adolescence, Self, Career, Exploration, and Explore

No, five year olds do not have a sense of independent identity. And particularly not of a cultural identity different from that of their caretakers. You can keep your link. I have the information at my disposal regarding identity development, developmental tasks, and completion of developmental tasks, as well as cognitive development. I am way beyond some link you Googled. Maybe you should try educating yourself instead of relying on Google links that you obviously don't even understand.:roll:

If the word "gnostic" confused anyone -means secret knowledge. Goes back about 2000 years around the time of the beginning of Christianity. Apparently there are "deaf values'secrets" known ONLY to "certain members". How all of this ties into that "secret group" call "deaf militants"- not privy yet.

To date as a bilateral deaf person no knowledge of these "gnostic deaf secrets".

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

They aren't secret. They are available to anyone that chooses to learn about them. You made the choice not to. That simply means you are ignorant of that about which you attempt to speak. Not that there is anything secret about it.
Trust me, the words you choose do not confuse anyone. We all know the meaning, and it is terribly superior of you to assume that your knowledge of language is above anyone else's here. What is confusing is your phrasing. It happens when people try to appear to be more intelligent than they really are.

Of course 5 year olds aren't stupid. Same we can't say the same about some of the adults around here.:roll:

A 5 year old has not even begun to develop an identity yet. You really need to educate yourself before making these nonsensical statements you make. You have shown yourself to be ignorant regarding linquisitics, regsrding Deaf Culture, and regarding placement decisions and legal options. Maybe you need to come back under another screen name, because under this one, no one is interested in anything you have to say. You have shown your ignorance, and we all know that trying to educate the ignorant that think they already know it all is a lost cause.

Jillio- does it make you feel good to put people down? Do you get a rush out of it, and your cyber "friends" liking your posts? Every other post by you is an attack on someone who doesn't think exactly like you. It speaks volumes to a persons character when all they have to spew is venom and negativity.

I am not the kind of person to "come back under another screen name" nor
am I ignorant. I am an educated person, and successful at that. I'm happy, and don't feel the need to talk sh*t to people because they chose to go east when I went west. We are all individuals, with individual choices to make that are appropriate for the individual. I guess the difference is that I respect the individual right to choose.

Example: I personally am against abortion for myself, but I support the right to choose. Moreover, I respect the individuals choice that was right for them, regardless of what they decide to do.

I'm not opening up a discussion on abortion, just giving an example.

No, five year olds do not have a sense of independent identity. And particularly not of a cultural identity different from that of their caretakers. You can keep your link. I have the information at my disposal regarding identity development, developmental tasks, and completion of developmental tasks, as well as cognitive development. I am way beyond some link you Googled. Maybe you should try educating yourself instead of relying on Google links that you obviously don't even understand.:roll:

Ha! This coming from the person who told me google was my friend. Ok.

Unless the parents are members of Deaf Culture and are living the values and the traditions of Deaf Culture age does matter. A child of 5 is incapable, developmentally, of discerning the differences between deaf and Deaf. It requires the ability to think on higher levels, and until she has a greater ability to do so, as her brain and ability to think fluidly increases, it simply is not possible for a 5 year old child to understand and identify with a concept such as Deaf. A 5 year old is just beginning to understand the difference between people who hear and people who don't hear. Cultural concepts are much more complicated. When she becomes a teen, and her developmental task is to form an identity of her own, she will begin to sort these things out for herself. Until then, it is only possible for her parent to decide whether she is Deaf or not. Since that is a self appointed identity, entered into by choice, it just is not possible for a hearing parent to identify her child as Deaf.

Ah, I Understand, sorry I was not catching this!

You are right BUT I do not think we should shun or try to push away hearing parents of Deaf children who WANT to give their children the benifit of the Deaf culture in the long run--opposed to sheltering the child and not even acknowlage Deafness or HOH

Everyone--Instead of identity I think we should be applauding the hearing parents who CHOOSE to raise their Deaf or HOH child in such a way he/she can later devolop a Deaf identity and understanding of the culture and lanuage.

Jillio- does it make you feel good to put people down? Do you get a rush out of it, and your cyber "friends" liking your posts? Every other post by you is an attack on someone who doesn't think exactly like you. It speaks volumes to a persons character when all they have to spew is venom and negativity.

I am not the kind of person to "come back under another screen name" nor
am I ignorant. I am an educated person, and successful at that. I'm happy, and don't feel the need to talk sh*t to people because they chose to go east when I went west. We are all individuals, with individual choices to make that are appropriate for the individual. I guess the difference is that I respect the individual right to choose.

Example: I personally am against abortion for myself, but I support the right to choose. Moreover, I respect the individuals choice that was right for them, regardless of what they decide to do.

I'm not opening up a discussion on abortion, just giving an example.

From the woman who claims that SEE is superior to ASL as a first language. Need I say more?:laugh2:

Everyone--Instead of identity I think we should be applauding the hearing parents who CHOOSE to raise their Deaf or HOH child in such a way he/she can later devolop a Deaf identity and understanding of the culture and lanuage.

I have no problem with that whatsoever. I am only saying that doing that does not mean that a 5 year old child can self identify as Deaf. That comes much, much later. My own son was raised in a bi-bi atmosphere, both at school and at home. He understood, early on, that simply using sign did not mean one was deaf, or one was hearing. Same with speech, since he also has speech skills. He understood he was deaf, most certainly, because he wore an HA, and non-deaf people do not use an HA. However, the cultural implications, the choice of values, the decision to adhere to the values of a specific culture was not something he decided to embrace until he began to work on the developmental task of forming his own identity, independent of that of his family. He identifies as Deaf today. That is not something I ever decided for him, or something I ever identified him as. That was his choice, and he made it when he was capable of making that decision and choosing to live the type of life that goes with being Deaf.

I have NEVER said SEE was superior to ASL. Stop making up lies.

The thread can be pulled up. You made it, and you argued for pages and pages that SEE was the form of signed English that should be used with all deaf children from the beginning in order to foster their understanding of English, and you also supported using it as a communication mode. You also stated that ASL created confusion in the child when it came to understanding English concepts.

http://www.alldeaf.com/sign-language-oralism/85690-see-language-its-english.html

Here is the link to ignorance in all it's glory.

You have a wretched memory.

"I don't view ASL or SEE as one being superior to another. They are equally valid and both serve a purpose.
Many different factors play into what mode of communication will be used with a DHH child. If the child comes from a family of two Deaf parents, it makes sense that the Childs
first language is ASL whether they are hearing or not. If the child comes from a family
of two hearing parents, it makes sense to use SEE in the beginning. Many things come
into play when determining a mode of communication, including long term goals."

That's a snippet from the thread. Everything you're saying I said is incorrect, and yes the thread can be pulled if others want to view it.

You have a wretched memory.

"I don't view ASL or SEE as one being superior to another. They are equally valid and both serve a purpose.
Many different factors play into what mode of communication will be used with a DHH child. If the child comes from a family of two Deaf parents, it makes sense that the Childs
first language is ASL whether they are hearing or not. If the child comes from a family
of two hearing parents, it makes sense to use SEE in the beginning. Many things come
into play when determining a mode of communication, including long term goals."

That's a snippet from the thread. Everything you're saying I said is incorrect, and yes the thread can be pulled if others want to view it.

A snippet hardly tells the whole story. The fact that you even called SEE a language is evidence of the ignorance you spout.

First of all, Grendel, CSign ... you guys need to back off, seriously.

MY personal experience:

I went to a Deaf institute, my mom was an interpreter, everyone in my family signed, i had deaf people sleep over at my house, i slept over at theirs, etc etc etc... Even had a Deaf girlfriend in high school.

Had a Deaf daughter, with a Deaf girlfriend at the time, dated CAPTIAL Deaf girlfriends afterwards....

Before I had my daughter, I joined a Deaf softball team, went across the nation playing tournaments with other Deaf teams. This still continues to this day.

I never FOUND the "Deaf" in me till i was about 26-27
, after all the things I listed above. (I am 29 now.)

You can't decide for the child their identity they choose.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and pull a GrendelQ here.

Hell, you can't even determine your child's sexual preferences at 5. You really can't go out and say ... "my kid's straight because s/he is flirting members of the opposite sex at her age." Then all of a sudden at 13 your kid goes out and tell you "Hey, I am not straight."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back