Childs behavior

I don't ever remember hearing without my hearing aids.. I can see how one just know how long they been deaf.

I believe I was diagnosed the same time my older sister was. I was just a baby. I don't think I was fitted with a hearing aid until I was 2 or 3 years old. but whatever age, it was before I enter preschool and I remember my preschool days very well.

I was fitted with hearing aids right away at 9 months old. My brother's deafness was diagnosed at birth so he was fitted with hearing aids at like 3 months old but neded up never wearing them.

I was fitted with hearing aids right away at 9 months old. My brother's deafness was diagnosed at birth so he was fitted with hearing aids at like 3 months old but neded up never wearing them.

As for me, I didn't get my first HA till I was 2 and a half years old. I'm told that I didn't speak till I was 3.

But what about the people who claim that we are lying and that it is impossible for deaf kids with CI's to understand any spoken language?
What about them? That attitude is dying off I can remember years ago, when everyone in a Deaf forum was anti CI.Now Deaf people are actually getting them!!!! Were you aware that back when hearing aids were first introduced a lot of Deafies were against them? :shock:
There ARE some kids who can't reach hoh listening levels with them, but overall kids with CIs are functionally hoh. You know.....I think a lot of the gloom and doom about Deaf Schools entering their death spiral is precipitated on the hypothesis that Deaf Schools and programs are only for voice off unamp'd Deafies. Not quite. There ARE hoh kids in Dhh programs and even in Deaf Schools! Years ago, you would never see hoh kids in schools for the Deaf. Now there are hoh kids in Deaf schools....many of them are becoming more hoh friendly! Matter of fact, someone on another list told me that her friend's son is failing history b/c he's unaided and unimplanted He goes to a Deaf School, but everyone in his class is hoh functioning, and the teacher doesn't know Sign!
It's also based on the hypothesis that hearing schools will be able to accomondate every kid, and that they can provide a suburban level of education. Not all hearing schools are great...And I mean I think there will still be a lot of Deaf Schools, especially in areas where special ed isn't great in the mainstream.

As for me, I didn't get my first HA till I was 2 and a half years old. I'm told that I didn't speak till I was 3.

I started speaking when I was a year old so I guess you can say that I hit all the "spoken English" milestones and *gasp*...alll without a CI!!! How did I do that? :lol:

What about them? That attitude is dying off I can remember years ago, when everyone in a Deaf forum was anti CI.Now Deaf people are actually getting them!!!! Were you aware that back when hearing aids were first introduced a lot of Deafies were against them? :shock:
There ARE some kids who can't reach hoh listening levels with them, but overall kids with CIs are functionally hoh. You know.....I think a lot of the gloom and doom about Deaf Schools entering their death spiral is precipitated on the hypothesis that Deaf Schools and programs are only for voice off unamp'd Deafies. Not quite. There ARE hoh kids in Dhh programs and even in Deaf Schools! Years ago, you would never see hoh kids in schools for the Deaf. Now there are hoh kids in Deaf schools....many of them are becoming more hoh friendly! Matter of fact, someone on another list told me that her friend's son is failing history b/c he's unaided and unimplanted He goes to a Deaf School, but everyone in his class is hoh functioning, and the teacher doesn't know Sign!
It's also based on the hypothesis that hearing schools will be able to accomondate every kid, and that they can provide a suburban level of education. Not all hearing schools are great...And I mean I think there will still be a lot of Deaf Schools, especially in areas where special ed isn't great in the mainstream.

Where I work, we have some classes that are totally "ASL" off. Meaning pure oralism. As long as all the kids are understanding everything and still have ASL, then I am all for it. :)

I started speaking when I was a year old so I guess you can say that I hit all the "spoken English" milestones and *gasp*...alll without a CI!!! How did I do that? :lol:

:lol: Let the pro CI oralists try to explain that one.

Magic!!! :)

They didn't find out that I was deaf until I was 18 months old. All I said (coherently) was "Papa" at that point. I started speech therapy when I was 2-3 years old. Dunno if I hit the spoken English "milestones" at the right time...?

Magic!!! :)

They didn't find out that I was deaf until I was 18 months old. All I said (coherently) was "Papa" at that point. I started speech therapy when I was 2-3 years old. Dunno if I hit the spoken English "milestones" at the right time...?

My best friend whom I met at that program when we were 18 months old did the same too. We were labeled the brightest of that program. However, we both suffered serious self-esteem issues in high school. Which would have been better to have? Hard one there.

It is fine with me but the problem was being placed mainstreamed full time. That was the BIG f****** problem.

I have to agree there. I have not forgotten how I strugged to keep up with everything in the mainstream.

I have to agree there. I have not forgotten how I strugged to keep up with everything in the mainstream.

I am happy to be able to have "spoken English" skills (because oral skills seems to offend some) but NOT happy to haven never have ASL and Deaf culture. That is what PISSES me off!

I am happy to be able to have "spoken English" skills (because oral skills seems to offend some) but NOT happy to have ASL and Deaf culture. That is what PISSES me off!

I have spoken skills too!! Some people disagree that what I speak is actually English.

But, this all adds up to the point that I am not an oral failure! :P

I have spoken skills too!! Some people disagree that what I speak is actually English.

But, this all adds up to the point that I am not an oral failure! :P

:lol:

Sorry for laughing...my brother is considered a big time oral or spoken English failure.

Where I work, we have some classes that are totally "ASL" off. Meaning pure oralism.
Exactly! I do think that could be a good way to handle the ASL/ spoken English debate, and to still be "bi bi" Meaning bilingal in the sense that two languages would be used....not bi bi as in voice off methodology.
I also think that an awesome idea would be to offer early intervention/childhood programming in an enviroment, where 1.2 the classroom time is devoted to speech and the other 1.2 is devoted to Sign.

I am happy to be able to have "spoken English" skills (because oral skills seems to offend some) but NOT happy to haven never have ASL and Deaf culture. That is what PISSES me off!

You know, I read this as not happy to have ASL and deaf culture. So that confused me big time. :laugh2:

Exactly! I do think that could be a good way to handle the ASL/ spoken English debate, and to still be "bi bi" Meaning bilingal in the sense that two languages would be used....not bi bi as in voice off methodology.
I also think that an awesome idea would be to offer early intervention/childhood programming in an enviroment, where 1.2 the classroom time is devoted to speech and the other 1.2 is devoted to Sign.

I know what the program and many other bibi programs do but people tell me that I am lying. whatever. I dont care.

Yes, I have some concerns about that for my own selfish reasons but I cant indulge in them.

Back