Childs behavior

Yes, it would have, wouldn't it? It's a shame... If only FJ behaved herself and didn't say we look like a bunch of donkeys for making those suggestions (In case you are wondering, The Mod removed those posts)

:hmm: I didn't see the donkey posts. This forum has such a fixation with animals.

Yes, you do have valid advice in regards to what it is like being a deaf person and raising a deaf child. I also have experience raising a child with a CI. Your experience is different than mine, but we both have advice to give.

The difference is: you saying NOTHING of these things I've seen still is in practice... which they are in practice... I was just correcting you.

No need to get all defensive.

Yes, it would have, wouldn't it? It's a shame... If only FJ behaved herself and didn't say we look like a bunch of donkeys for making those suggestions (In case you are wondering, The Mod removed those posts)

That's not what happened.

Everyone jumped down the parent's throat for NOT signing, and the OP came back and said she did.

It would have been a valid suggestion, but you were all too busy arguing that oral skills rather than English should be the focus to make it.

Pls do not point fingers at us. We all participated in the argument. Thank you

The difference is: you saying NOTHING of these things I've seen still is in practice... which they are in practice... I was just correcting you.

No need to get all defensive.

I'm talking about the therapy that is used with CI users. As I said before, we have worked with dozens of therapists across three states, and I am speaking from those experiences.

I'm talking about the therapy that is used with CI users. As I said before, we have worked with dozens of therapists across three states, and I am speaking from those experiences.

And I'm talking about first hand witnessing... and wouldnt you know it, the kid had CI too..

Actually faire joure, those of us who are hoh or functionally hoh (and there are QUITE a few of us here!) had the exact same spoken language therapy that Li -Li and Miss Kat are currently having. Yes, it's not like the old skool therapy where little kids would only know vocabulary, or the "blow out a candle" mirrors and hand on throat approach. It's NOT old old school oral deaf methodology. But spoken language therapy for dhh kids is NOT NEW....I had it 28 years ago, and I doubt it has changed. It was NOT "mechanics of speech" (sounds and articualtion, pitch volumne etc)
Heck, I had the mechanics of speech up til my senior year of high school (and I dropped the spoken language therapy by the time I was in kindergarten)
We know what you're saying.....You can understand English vocab but still write and say things like Are you feel better or " How many spiders have legs for "how many legs do spiders have?" Ever seen English written by someone who approaches it as a second language?

Because methods in use 20, 30, 40 years ago with children who had little or no amplification are not the same as those in use today with children who have CIs. She's not saying it didn't happen.

But more important, she's saying that language should be the focus, not oral skills. Several others here are saying that oral skills must be the focus for this 3YO who signs and has CIs. With which do you agree?

Bold statement and also in my imagination, I am playing the violin or viola as it is the same old thing for many years even today. Over and over and you think that CI work wonder for the deaf where there is listening and spoken language. It had been like that in the old days thinking that hearing aids will make deaf kids be like every hearing person in the world. Today, you say that CI will make deaf kids be like hearing person also, just like the same old story. Playing the violin. :roll:

What the OP should do is to listen (meaning paying attention, not with hearing but see her visually in her child) and see if there is a way for the child to learn language whether in ASL or something that will make the child more understandable without so much struggle. Trying to make the child with force to speak or sign is not working out but there is something that will make the child less frustrated and will let her mother know what it is she want her to communicate with. It is an suggestion and hopefully my advice to the OP. :hmm:

Amplification for deaf children goes back further than we realize. The technologies wasn't portable though. they used some kind of headphone.. Remember, AGBell developed telephone hoping it would help the deaf ( a form of amplification)

Because methods in use 20, 30, 40 years ago with children who had little or no amplification are not the same as those in use today with children who have CIs.
Grendel, on the other hand there were still kids (with severe-profound losses) who benifited somewhat from amplification either through hearing aids or even CI. Remember there have ALWAYS been audilogically deaf kids who are functionally hoh with hearing aids or CIs.
And I mean, most kids back then WERE amplfied. They got varying benifit yes.....
but the Deaf Schools/programs weren't some Voice Off radical Deafie Utopia.
The mistake that the experts are making are assuming that hoh or functionally hoh kids (which quite a few implanted kids are) are "almost hearing" and will gravitate towards Hearing culture with some HLAA style support thrown in for good measure.
There are some "almost hearing" audilogically hoh kids yes. BUT, as always an audiogram doesn't really tell the whole story. Every kid is different. There are a lot of "almost Deaf" audilogically hoh kids too!

Grendel, on the other hand there were still kids (with severe-profound losses) who benifited somewhat from amplification either through hearing aids or even CI. Remember there have ALWAYS been audilogically deaf kids who are functionally hoh with hearing aids or CIs.
And I mean, most kids back then WERE amplfied. They got varying benifit yes.....
but the Deaf Schools/programs weren't some Voice Off radical Deafie Utopia.
The mistake that the experts are making are assuming that hoh or functionally hoh kids (which quite a few implanted kids are) are "almost hearing" and will gravitate towards Hearing culture with some HLAA style support thrown in for good measure.
There are some "almost hearing" audilogically hoh kids yes. BUT, as always an audiogram doesn't really tell the whole story. Every kid is different. There are a lot of "almost Deaf" audilogically hoh kids too!

But what about the people who claim that we are lying and that it is impossible for deaf kids with CI's to understand any spoken language? Don't you feel like they are easily much further from reality than Grendel is?

Having HAs and CIs, it has been mentioned many times on this forum that they do not give a realistic grasp of sound. CIs are just a glorified version of HAs but still no where near perfect hearing so it has been said. I wore hearings for a total of 4 years from the time I was first diagnosed until I finally gave up on them. During which time I was receiving speech therapy and I still had and have the difficulties when I have previous described on my other posts. So having access to sounds for the deaf still does not meet what is necessary to achieve spoken language in a way that meets the expectations of the hearing.
How old were you when you were diagnosed?

But what about the people who claim that we are lying and that it is impossible for deaf kids with CI's to understand any spoken language? Don't you feel like they are easily much further from reality than Grendel is?

We pat their heads and leave them in their hospital rooms.

Back