Childs behavior

There is someone who constantly posts things like that, and has on this very thread.

we know... and we don't fall into that trap. I dont read that person's certain posts... toooooo long winded.

How old were you when you were diagnosed?

If you had paid any attention to many of my posts I would not need to answer that question. :P I was born severely-deaf, diagnosed with HAs at 11 Gave up on HAs at 15 due to multiple problems with them. Now I don't wear any apparatus.

If you had paid any attention to many of my posts I would not need to answer that question. :P I was born severely-deaf, diagnosed with HAs at 11 Gave up on HAs at 15 due to multiple problems with them. Now I don't wear any apparatus.

If diagnosed at 11, how did they know your status was severe at birth?

A lot happens in 11 years.

I was diagnosed at 7, but since my mother kept meticulous notes and had me see the doctor for every little things, there were extensive records.Now, I wasn't at a severe level until my teenage years, but still. I did have the diagnosis of the calcium at birth, not the hearing loss until I was 7. But, based on my mother's notes and all of the medical records, they have determined that I had a hearing loss at birth. There's always the possibility that her family did the same I guess.

Could be that she meant she was fitted with HAs at 11, not diagnosed.

Even if she were, I could still understand that. I wasn't diagnosed until 15 months, but my parents have always maintained they knew practically from day one. I didn't respond correctly to sounds, etc. It took them 15 months of convincing a pediatrician to listen to their concerns. That was typical back then, I gather.

Even if she were, I could still understand that. I wasn't diagnosed until 15 months, but my parents have always maintained they knew practically from day one. I didn't respond correctly to sounds, etc. It took them 15 months of convincing a pediatrician to listen to their concerns. That was typical back then, I gather.

so, I guess I was rare for those times by getting diagnosed at 7 months old.

Not necessarily. Mom used to tell me the frustration with my pediatrician. You may have had a great one! :)

I understand that. It was known of me too, and expected due to deafness in family.

If fitted later, I could understand, just very odd to go from birth to 11 if the loss was there.

I understand that. It was known of me too, and expected due to deafness in family.

If fitted later, I could understand, just very odd to go from birth to 11 if the loss was there.

Good point. We'll have to wait for her to come back and tell us ..

I don't think it was rare. Many years ago they knew something was wrong but couldn't do anything.

(and no I am not implying Alley Cat was that old.) I didn't have hearing aids until I think three as I had a lot worse problems than deafness. :lol:

I don't think it was rare. Many years ago they knew something was wrong but couldn't do anything.

(and no I am not implying Alley Cat was that old.) I didn't have hearing aids until I think three as I had a lot worse problems than deafness. :lol:

AlleyCat is only a few years older than me.

It was my mom who recognized that something was wrong.

AlleyCat is only a few years older than me.

It was my mom who recognized that something was wrong.

I said I was not implying she was old. I thought she was younger than you. :)

I was dx'd as deaf when I was 7 months old in 1967. However, I must note both of my parents have a medical background. According to my dad, he says I didn't react to loud noises so they thought something was wrong with my hearing.

I was born 7 and 1/2 weeks premature. My status has always been the same, then up until now. It is just my parents put it down to 'cute baby talk', I had a profound lisp which speech-therapy at 11 painstakingly ironed most of it out, only an Audi and kids pick it up now. Adults usually put it down to 'accent'. We were in Thailand until I was 5 and came to Australia when I was 7. The school nurse was the one who drew my parents attention to it.

I was dx'd as deaf when I was 7 months old in 1967. However, I must note both of my parents have a medical background. According to my dad, he says I didn't react to loud noises so they thought something was wrong with my hearing.

That does make sense. My mom was an 18 year old child at the time. My dad was a high school dropout. My mom was obviously very very bright because she ignored the doctor's suggestions not to bother reading to me when I was an infant/toddler due to my deafness. Thanks to her, I love reading and that was what really helped me survive being oral-only and mainstreamed (academically-wise).

That was smart of your mother to read to you. I don't remember my parents reading to me but they must have read to me. I do remember my brother reading to me.

My father read to me and with me, and worked on calligraphy. Practically anything that would increase my interest in language.

My parents did a great job with that.

I noticed my stepmother signs a great deal more with me now , and the other night at a party, one of my kids pointed out it is because my stepmother is getting old age hearing loss and it makes it easier for her! I thought it was even cuter when that was pointed out to me.

I don't ever remember hearing without my hearing aids.. I can see how one just know how long they been deaf.

I believe I was diagnosed the same time my older sister was. I was just a baby. I don't think I was fitted with a hearing aid until I was 2 or 3 years old. but whatever age, it was before I enter preschool and I remember my preschool days very well.

Back