Celiac/Deaf Connection?

Celiac AND Deaf?

• Yes, I have celiac disease and am deaf myself.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Yes, there is celiac disease in my family, and I am deaf myself.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, there is deafness in my family and I have celiac disease myself. (I am a hearing person.)

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I am deaf. There is no celiac disease connection.

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters

MoniDew

Reaction score
I have the genetic autoimmune disorder celiac/sprue. (an intollerance to grains and dairy products - more than a simple allergy - these foods become deadly toxins in my body. my body's reaction to them destroys my digestive tract, blood cells, brain cells, thyroid gland, causes cancer, etc.)

My daughter grew in my womb and is now becoming deaf.

I have another friend on a celiac message board who was born deaf and is celiac. We are both wondering how high the connection is between celiac disease and deafness.

Anyone else here both celiac and deaf? (or have both in the family, etc.)

I am. But celiac is not uncommon. I have hearing relatives who have it too. I think it is just a coincidence.

Not uncommon among the GENERAL population. Got nothing to do with deafness; it's just how the dices rolled. It's becoming a trend in the food blogosphere to offer gluten-free, dairy-free modification alternatives to their recipes.

I'm deaf, and I have relatives who are deaf too. None of us have this. In fact, our health seem to be on the normal side (that is, if we go to a doctor, we find nothing wrong with us... no diseases whatsoever) .. except maybe asthma and allergies.

I am hereditarily HoH -it is progressive and I will become completely deaf during the course of my life.

Currently my dB loss in right ear is 87 left is 89.

My father is clinically deaf, my sister and her daughter HoH, uncle is deaf and it goes waaaay back in my family.

My mother, older brother and youngest sister are hearing. None of us are celiac.

BACKGROUND: Celiac disease (CD) can be associated with a variety of extraintestinal manifestations, including neurological diseases. A new neurological correlation has been found between CD and sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL). OBJECTIVE: To verify the association between SNHL and CD, and to establish whether the neurological hearing impairment in CD is related to nonorgan-specific and antineuronal antibodies, as well as the presence of autoimmune disorders. METHODS: A sample of 59 consecutive biopsy- and serologically proven CD patients were studied. Among CD patients, 11 were newly diagnosed and 48 were on a gluten-free diet. Hearing function was assessed by audiometric analysis in all CD patients as well as in 59 age- and sex-matched controls. Patients were tested for a panel of immune markers including nonorgan-specific autoantibodies and antineuronal antibodies. RESULTS: SNHL was detected in five CD patients (8.5%) and in two controls (3.4%). In one patient, the SNHL was bilateral, whereas the remaining four had a monolateral impairment. The prevalence of SNHL was not significantly different between CD patients and controls. At least one of the antibodies tested for was positive in two of the five CD patients with SNHL and in 12 of the 54 CD patients without SNHL. Antineuronal antibodies to central nervous system antigens were consistently negative in the five CD patients with SNHL. Only one of the five CD patients with SNHL had Hashimoto thyroiditis. CONCLUSIONS: SNHL and CD occur coincidentally. Hearing function should be assessed only in CD patients with clinical signs of hearing deficiency.
BIOMED

I really caution the OP about comparing CD and hearing loss together because there is just no connection between the two.

CD does not cause deafness & vice versa.

I have couple of hearing friends who have no deafness in their family, not even Hard-of-Hearing, and they have celiac diseases. In fact, their children have it too. So this tend to be more genetic, I think.

well, that is exactly what I'm trying to resolve... is her deafness connected to my celiac disease, or is it not?

I think Mrs Bucket has provided the most objective analysis that it is not. Thank you to all who participated.

How do you know that she become deaf due to your celiac? What if it was caused by something different like CMV???

CMV - I had to look it up, I didn't know what it is. My daughter DID have mononucleosis as a teenager, in her senior year of high school. Perhaps this could be the cause of her progressive hearing loss? I had no idea of this connection. I'm glad you mentioned it.

Unless there is a dominant genetic cause, you may never know the cause of your daughter's hearing loss. A dominant gene will be evident in successive generations (50% chance of inheritance). In the future, perhaps more genetic testing will be available, although I feel uneasy about that. I understand that exploring the reasons is part of the process of accepting the situation. You may not find an answer, though.

Wirelessly posted (Sidekick LX: Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

No I don't have it. I was just born deaf by an unknown cause.

Last edited:
CMV - I had to look it up, I didn't know what it is. My daughter DID have mononucleosis as a teenager, in her senior year of high school. Perhaps this could be the cause of her progressive hearing loss? I had no idea of this connection. I'm glad you mentioned it.

Oh, I thought your daughter is a toddler, my mistake. One becames deaf when the pregnant mother came down with CMV. I don't think one becames deaf when one came down with CMV as an adult.

You had me googling for causes of hearing loss. I found this link which lists 966 causes of hearing loss at: Hearing impairment - WrongDiagnosis.com

I really caution the OP about comparing CD and hearing loss together because there is just no connection between the two.
Well yes, unless the hearing loss was caused by autoimmune factors. A lot of times if you have one autoimmune disorder in a family, there will be a lot of others seen. (eg autism, Alizheimers, celiac etc)

Well yes, unless the hearing loss was caused by autoimmune factors. A lot of times if you have one autoimmune disorder in a family, there will be a lot of others seen. (eg autism, Alizheimers, celiac etc)

Are you saying that Alzheimer's is caused by autoimmune disorder??? I thought it was caused by genes that one inherited.

Are you saying that Alzheimer's is caused by autoimmune disorder??? I thought it was caused by genes that one inherited.

Buffalo,

I would not take Deafdyke's comments seriously. She has been known to make sweeping statements without backing them up with a source.

Alzheimer's is not caused by an autoimmune disorder. source

Alzheimer's disease is a progressive, degenerative disease of the brain, which causes thinking and memory to become seriously impaired. It is the most common form of dementia. (Dementia is a syndrome consisting of a number of symptoms that include loss of memory, judgment and reasoning, and changes in mood, behaviour and communication abilities. source

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.61 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

There is no medical connection whatsoever between Celiac's and Deaf

Buffalo,

I would not take Deafdyke's comments seriously. She has been known to make sweeping statements without backing them up with a source.

Alzheimer's is not caused by an autoimmune disorder. source

Alzheimer's disease is a progressive, degenerative disease of the brain, which causes thinking and memory to become seriously impaired. It is the most common form of dementia. (Dementia is a syndrome consisting of a number of symptoms that include loss of memory, judgment and reasoning, and changes in mood, behaviour and communication abilities. source

Merci...

It's annoying when she dabble in autism, Asperger's and ADD.

I understand that exploring the reasons is part of the process of accepting the situation. You may not find an answer, though.

I think you're right, SallyLou. I think I'm just dealing with a little bit of survivor's guilt and trying to absolve myself of that guilt a little bit. I should have never started this thread. I wish I could take it all back now. I hope the mods will close this thread or better yet, remove it entirely. (Please, Mods?)

Back