Celiac/Deaf Connection?

Celiac AND Deaf?

• Yes, I have celiac disease and am deaf myself.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Yes, there is celiac disease in my family, and I am deaf myself.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, there is deafness in my family and I have celiac disease myself. (I am a hearing person.)

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I am deaf. There is no celiac disease connection.

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters
My mom used to blame herself for our deafness. She say, "maybe I left the window open too long" or "I should have made sure I did this and that"

None of it is your fault, it just happen.

I think you're right, SallyLou. I think I'm just dealing with a little bit of survivor's guilt and trying to absolve myself of that guilt a little bit. I should have never started this thread. I wish I could take it all back now. I hope the mods will close this thread or better yet, remove it entirely. (Please, Mods?)

:lol: If you only want to post things where everyone will agree with you, :hmm: not possible.

CMV - I had to look it up, I didn't know what it is. My daughter DID have mononucleosis as a teenager, in her senior year of high school. Perhaps this could be the cause of her progressive hearing loss? I had no idea of this connection. I'm glad you mentioned it.

No, the mono didn't cause it. With CMV, the exposure would have had to be through you when you were pregnant. At approx. the 5th month gestation. The way it works is that the pregnant woman is exposed to CMV, develops antibodies, and the antibodies reach the fetus through the blood supply. Those antibodies interrupt the development of the 8th cranial (auditory) nerve.

I do have RH- and I was told that would attack the baby if not properly treated.

You were told correctly. But for many years, they have been giving Rh- mothers a shot of Rhogam if they give birth to an Rh+ baby. There is no danger to the first baby, but any susequent babies are in danger because the mother's blood builds up antibodies against the Rh factor when the maternal and fetal blood are exchanged during birth. Then when the second pregnancy occurs, the mother;s antibodies recognizes the baby's Rh+ blood as a foreign body.

yes, this is why they give RHogam in the middle of pregnancy and at the end rather if the baby is RH- or RH positive. You need it if you miscarried too.

Back