Caves

ChelEler

Reaction score
Hey have you been to any natural caves (not mines nor man-made underground)? If so, where? What is/are your favorite cave(s)?

I have been to almost all caves in South Dakota (in BlackHill area) and one in Missouri (can't remember the name, but it has something to do with Jesse James's hiding place). I don't have any favorite caves yet, because I love them all! My family and I are going into caves again this weekend. :mrgreen:

Yes, I went huge cave in Carlsbad, New Mexico 10 years ago. Whoa very huge and pretty cold inside.

Done went another cave near Austin, Texas. Pretty cold and show something so strange like fossil there.

First time, I went tiny cave (non-tourist service) somewhere in Austin, TX. But not safe cuz of some bats inside. My friend and I went inside. i see my friend's breath like white and very coldy. then come back so quickly.

Like to come inside the cave during summer. Whoa feel chill. My fave cave is Carlsbad, NM.

ive been in caves but dont remmy much abt them -- i was a kid around 5 or so thereabouts and i dont remmy WHERE they were located when i was with my family on the USA road trip camping and etc

id DEFINATELY go explore caves -- theres 1 in the Blue Ridge Mountains in VA

There's Howe Cavern..I am not exactly sure the specific location but I remember it was in New York when I was on my way to Canada. Caverns gives me the creeps :-\

Originally posted by sweetgal154
There's Howe Cavern..I am not exactly sure the specific location but I remember it was in New York when I was on my way to Canada. Caverns gives me the creeps :-\

Interesting. Why do they give you the creeps?

*caves

Yes, I've been in one...I hide most of my gold there...ain't tellin' any of you guys where me gold are. :p

Originally posted by SilenceGold
*caves

Yes, I've been in one...I hide most of my gold there...ain't tellin' any of you guys where me gold are. :p

:roll: Oh :bsflag: Heh. I'm sure it's in Arkansas, somewhere. ;)

yep i had been in caves in many different areas... but i havent tried caves climbing yet. my friend has a lot of experiences with caves climbing. i ll ask him if i can join him to explore in the caves in lookout mtns in georgia.

i did diving in a cave underwater at crystal river. man, it was the coldest ever i been in water even i wore a 3mm wetsuit.

Last edited:
New Zealand has heaps of caves here. Been in few.... love the "sandwich" and "corkscrew" moves. I love caving!!!

Originally posted by ChelEler
Hey have you been to any natural caves (not mines nor man-made underground)? If so, where? What is/are your favorite cave(s)?

I have been to almost all caves in South Dakota (in BlackHill area) and one in Missouri (can't remember the name, but it has something to do with Jesse James's hiding place). I don't have any favorite caves yet, because I love them all! My family and I are going into caves again this weekend. :mrgreen:

Yeah, been to one at the Buchan Caves, out past Lakes Entrance in the Gippsland area of Victoria, Australia. Very LOVELY!! I went into the Fairy Caves, there were 3 of them. Fairy Caves was the shortest -- 1 hour underground tour. As I am sort of claustophobic of closed areas...so I braved the caves. *gulps* Gorgeous, yes, but I got scared crapless when the lights went out and it was pitch dark and I couldn't even see my HANDS in front of my face...*shuddering*
Fairy Cave was discovered by Frank Moon in 1907 and opened to the public later that same year.
Anyway, the Fairy and Royal Caves have those staglicimites (spelling, crap!) and stalicites...fascinating and beautiful! I took some photos...will try to find them and scan some and put them up here. :)
For the time being, here's a link to some pictures I've found on the web.... http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-an22966287

Goldie

Yep been to serveral caves above sea level and below sea level.

above sea level been to caves in SD badlands i think.
And one on Wyoming.

Under Sea Level caves in lake michigan near green bay. and key west in fla. beautiful caves!

Originally posted by DeafSCUBA98

Under Sea Level caves in lake michigan near green bay. and key west in fla. beautiful caves!

where is a cave at key west ? i go to there annually and i have no clue idea about the cave at there. i would appreicate if u give me the information and i may be interested to go to cave.

thanks deafscuba

I went to Crystal Cave in Kutztown, PA. It is very beautiful colorful reflect. It is very cold inside. I feel like that I visit Superman's crystal cave home. :D

~ Sabrina

My family and I went to Jewel Cave in South Dakota last Saturday, and it was a blast! This time we had an interpreter with us and it was very very helpful! WHOO! We learned quite more than before because of the interpreter. We enjoyed the cave way more than before... because we understood most things the guide said. :thumb: One time, the interpreter said that the light will go completely off, and I expected it to happen anyway because I have been there twice before (without an interpreter) and when it happened, my baby boy cried hard! (I had my hands on him to make sure that he's okay, but nope.) He bawled and bawled loudly... the light only went off short time. My oldest son was like "COOL!!" :lol: Good boy. (My baby boy was sitting in the backpack style carrier, which my husband's wearing. Poor my husband for carry that heavy son of ours. Heh.) My oldest son walked all the way from the beginning to the end. Wow, he did well!! :thumb:

Back