Cash for clunkers

Whoa didnt the rules say the clunker HAD to be 1984-on? That DeLorean sure aint eligible for C4C because it was made in 1983.

Otherwise its a WASTE of a classic car being traded in for a Corolla. What was that woman thinking because the DeLorean in mint condition is worth more than the 4500 the Government gave for it. If she sold it on ebay she could have gotten 20,000 to 25,000 for it then bought the Toyota with the proceeds from the sale.

I think the Government will reject that sale because of the 1984 cutoff. That's gonna leave the dealer holding the bag for 4,500. If the sale is rejected, the DeLorean will need a new motor to get back on the road, otherwise its bye bye DeLorean :(

Whoa didnt the rules say the clunker HAD to be 1984-on? That DeLorean sure aint eligible for C4C because it was made in 1983.

Otherwise its a WASTE of a classic car being traded in for a Corolla. What was that woman thinking because the DeLorean in mint condition is worth more than the 4500 the Government gave for it. If she sold it on ebay she could have gotten 20,000 to 25,000 for it then bought the Toyota with the proceeds from the sale.

I think the Government will reject that sale because of the 1984 cutoff. That's gonna leave the dealer holding the bag for 4,500. If the sale is rejected, the DeLorean will need a new motor to get back on the road, otherwise its bye bye DeLorean :(

Exactly, either the government will find out about this, they will void that and make the lady pay back $4500 or the dealer will face $15,000 fine for the infraction.

But it is a classic! I wonder if the car will actually get crushed. Or if the dealer will just pay out of their own pocket to keep the car for profit... :hmm:

Especially if they have a cut off date on the cars.

The National Cash for Clunkers is totally fucked up because it wasnt written that well. They should have had followed Texas's old Cash for Clunkers program that existed before the Federal program.

Texas's program was much stricter than the Feds. The program was limited to low-income car owners whose cars failed the smog tests. The Feds didnt include that requirement in their program. However Texas permitted used cars no more than 2 years old to be bought with the vouchers unlike the Feds.

Program to offer cash for clunkers | Austin | Texas News | Texas Cable News | TXCN.com | News for Texas

The rules
The program is also open to owners of newer vehicles that have failed emissions tests. But the bulk of the bill focuses on older vehicles.

Although the rules for the program are still being written, the language in the bill states that it applies to gas-powered vehicles that are at least 10 years old, were registered in a participating county for at least a year and passed a safety and emissions inspection within the last 15 months.

In addition, applicants' net household income cannot exceed $61,950 for a family of four. Individuals are limited to a maximum net income of $30,630.

Participants will receive vouchers of $3,000 that they can use to buy most new vehicles that cost $25,000 or less. If participants opt to buy a hybrid, they can get a $3,500 voucher. They can also use the vouchers on used cars and trucks that are no more than two model years old.

The basic rules are posted at Is your car or truck 10 years old or older? Or has it failed an emissions test? - Texas Commission on Environmental Quality - www.tceq.state.tx.us.

A vehicle-replacement fund was established for the Dallas-Fort Worth area six years ago but offered only $1,000 in assistance and attracted few participants. Last spring, with the Dallas and Houston areas under increasing pressure from the EPA, the Texas Legislature tripled the voucher amounts.

If the Feds had done their homework, we wouldnt see such a classic like the DeLorean being destroyed via the CARS program.

Such a waste of a classic car. :( I doubt it will be eligible since it doesn't average 18 mpg and plus it's not even 1984 model year. They only made them from 80-82, I don't recall a 1983 model year. hmmm

Such a waste of a classic car. :( I doubt it will be eligible since it doesn't average 18 mpg and plus it's not even 1984 model year. They only made them from 80-82, I don't recall a 1983 model year. hmmm

You're close but it stated from 1981-1982... so that car shouldn't be in the program...

DeLorean DMC-12

Unbelievable!

Yea, I figured that there isn't even a 1983 model year. I guess they got the year wrong. Cash for clunkers, FAIL!

Yeah, the Congress is the one that made the ridiculous law... so that fail goes to the Congress.

Well, the Democrats sure didn't bother reading the healthcare bill as well. One senator even complained why in the heck should he read a 1000 page plus bill before voting on it? This cash for clunker thing is just a microcosm of how Congress operates.

But it is a classic! I wonder if the car will actually get crushed. Or if the dealer will just pay out of their own pocket to keep the car for profit... :hmm:

Especially if they have a cut off date on the cars.

That was what I had been thinking since I found out about the DeLorean.

This is just my theory on how the DeLorean could have been rescued from the crusher and sold:

Lady drives the DeLorean to the dealer. She tells the salesman to just crush it for 4,500 and buys the Corolla.

The salesman would have to collude with his sales manager and draw up the fake paperwork to show the lady that it is eligible for C4C. Lady signs on bottom line of the fake paperwork. The trade amount (4,500) is from the dealer's pocket, not the Feds.

Salesman delivers the Corolla to the lady, then takes the DeLorean to the back lot with the other clunkers (and marking the DeLorean as a CARS vehicle to prevent others from trying to buy the car from dealer). Lady drives off happy and the salesman takes the fake paperwork and processes the real paperwork for the Toyota's title. After a couple of weeks, the dealer would have to hide the real DeLorean until it is time to be sold for profit. The dealer would have to find a junk DeLorean and switched it with the real DeLorean, sending the junk one to the crusher.

The dealer would have to sell the DeLorean (with the real paperwork intact) to a foreign buyer and export the car to another country with the stipulation that it never returns to the US.

Just my 2 cents on this.

That was what I had been thinking since I found out about the DeLorean.

This is just my theory on how the DeLorean could have been rescued from the crusher and sold:

Lady drives the DeLorean to the dealer. She tells the salesman to just crush it for 4,500 and buys the Corolla.

The salesman would have to collude with his sales manager and draw up the fake paperwork to show the lady that it is eligible for C4C. Lady signs on bottom line of the fake paperwork. The trade amount (4,500) is from the dealer's pocket, not the Feds.

Salesman delivers the Corolla to the lady, then takes the DeLorean to the back lot with the other clunkers (and marking the DeLorean as a CARS vehicle to prevent others from trying to buy the car from dealer). Lady drives off happy and the salesman takes the fake paperwork and processes the real paperwork for the Toyota's title. After a couple of weeks, the dealer would have to hide the real DeLorean until it is time to be sold for profit. The dealer would have to find a junk DeLorean and switched it with the real DeLorean, sending the junk one to the crusher.

The dealer would have to sell the DeLorean (with the real paperwork intact) to a foreign buyer and export the car to another country with the stipulation that it never returns to the US.

Just my 2 cents on this.

:hmm: good point, if the federal finds out if that is true, the dealer will go bust and probably force them out business.

:hmm: good point, if the federal finds out if that is true, the dealer will go bust and probably force them out business.
If they are using it in the name of "Cash for Clunkers" or abiding by the rules. I am sure a hefty fine will be brought to them and etc.

The government is trying to help jump-start slumping auto sales through the program, giving consumers new vehicle credits of as much as $4,500 for turning in older cars. Sales of cars and light trucks in 2008 totaled 13.2 million, after averaging more than 16 million a year during this decade. Federal inspectors will review dealer records and vehicles for violators of the rules, who would face a $15,000 fine per infraction.

‘Clunkers’ dealers instructed to kill engines

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRpESplaleI&feature=related]YouTube - CLUNKER DEATH RACE[/ame]

Clunker death race...find out which car won the race lol. But otherwise its sad to see em die esp that MINT looking Caddy.

Suppose $10 billion gets dumped into this clunker deal and that the price of a new car is $12,000 which means 800,000 more cars with better gas mileage would be bought, supposedly so, over the course of a few years or so. Problem is that the average length of time car owners hold onto their cars is 10 years. The number of registered passenger cars is over 250,000,000 according to a 2006 DOT study. This means it'll take a few decades or so to see a turnover of cars on the road that are fuel efficient automobiles. The assumption is that this program will help reduce gas/oil consumption but then again the U.S. grows almost 1% a year (3,000,000) which means more cars and more oil/gas to be comsumed in the process even though cars may be more fuel efficient the number adds up quickly when you consider these factors.

I also should mention most of the so-called clunkers being traded in could have made good vehicles for low-income families as long as the vehicles passed both safety and smog inspection. The Government could have allowed the best cars from the program to be either sold or given to low income families that could use transportation.

With that in mind, used car prices will go up on some certain makes and models of vehicles similiar to the ones being traded under the C4C program. That will price the low-income families out of the used car market.

I have watched YT videos of the so-called clunkers. Some are quite legitimate deserving to be called one (beat-up body, spewing smoke, you name it) but most of the cars traded in were so nice-looking they should have deserved a 2nd chance to be on the road, especially if it had low miles on it.

I wouldnt trade my Rodeo thru the C4C because it's still running that damn good, Her gas mileage exceeds the EPA rating by 4 or more mpg combined city and hwy.

As many of you heard, "Cash for clunkers" program to trade in old cars to a new one... here's the true story what would happen to your old car...

...Some customers traded in a late model (late 90's to few years old with low mileage) for a fuel efficient cars. It seems to be a waste of those useful parts though. A lot of people are saying this program is full of b.s. and waste of taxpayers money. On a positive note, it helps environment... yes, but with many middle class citizens may not afford this and comes to exploding debts in this program with loans for example...
Such a waste.

Over the past years, Hubby and I have bought used rebuilt engines and transmissions to keep our otherwise fine vehicles running. I'm sure other people have done that also. Now, people will have to buy new ones (much more expensive) instead.

Also, by destroying the so-called "clunkers", the pool of inexpensive used cars is drying up. Fewer cheap cars available for poorer people.

Sigh, just another program to make life harder for the poor people.

My '95 Jeep Cherokee would classify as a "clunker" for this program but it has many more years of good life left in it. The body is in perfect condition, inside and out. Even with the federal rebate I couldn't afford a new car, so I'm satisfied with my Jeep.

I wonder if this "cash" deal is encouraging some people to buy new cars that they really can't afford. :hmm: Will the Repo Man be stopping at their driveways next year?

Just like the Congressional "help" that put people into houses that they couldn't afford and had to later be foreclosed, will this program put people into cars that they can't afford?

yup ! i remember those ads!

Sheesh, I wonder what plenty of Sugar mixed with gas would do to the engine? :giggle:

This reminded me of Slick 50 oil/lubricant commerical that guy pour in Slick 50 and drives car around for 4 or 5 hours then drained engine and remove oil pan and valve cover then fired up the engine and poured sand on top of engine and it still runs for 4 hours without oil. I thought it was sooo funny and I nearly planned to attempt it on my old Postal Jeep with fenders and hood removed so anyone can see valve tapping and crankshaft spins under it without valve cover and oil pan. :rofl:

Did anyone remember that Slick 50 commerical back in late 1980's and early 1990's

Catty

Back