Cash for clunkers

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
As many of you heard, "Cash for clunkers" program to trade in old cars to a new one... here's the true story what would happen to your old car...

Description Below:

This is a video document showing how to seize an engine under the Cash for Clunkers program...After draining the engine oil the vehicle is filled with approximately two-three quarts of salt/water/silica mix. The vehicle is then started and ran till the engine seizes. Enjoy!

[yt]X0IcIxhd8ks[/yt]

Description below:

cash for clunkers chevy tahoe - lasted about 2 1/2 minutes to seize (0:40-3:21)

[yt]qHIBekLKyUU[/yt]

Some customers traded in a late model (late 90's to few years old with low mileage) for a fuel efficient cars. It seems to be a waste of those useful parts though. A lot of people are saying this program is full of b.s. and waste of taxpayers money. On a positive note, it helps environment... yes, but with many middle class citizens may not afford this and comes to exploding debts in this program with loans for example...

Last edited:
Aha... it may be put on hold. The governments and dealers got overwhelmed.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The federal government may suspend its $1 billion Cash for Clunkers program after less than a week over concerns that the plan may have already burned through its funds, according to congressional sources.

A White House official said the Obama administration is assessing the situation, but added that "auto dealers and consumers should have confidence that all valid ... transactions that have taken place to-date will be honored."

The Department of Transportation, which runs the program, wants to sort out how much of the plan's funds it has already committed.

Cash for Clunkers officially launched less than a week ago.

It is set to end on Nov. 1, or whenever its $1 billion budget has been depleted.

Under the plan, vehicles purchased after July 1 will be eligible for refund vouchers worth $3,500 to $4,500 on traded-in gas guzzlers. The trade-in vehicle has to get combined city and highway fuel economy ratings of 18 miles per gallon or less.

The program, created by Congress to spur sales and help the struggling auto industry, is intended to take low-mileage cars off the road and spur new car sales for U.S. automakers.

"With this program, we are giving the auto industry a shot in the arm and struggling consumers can get rid of their gas-guzzlers and buy a more reliable, fuel-efficient vehicle," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in a statement Monday.

As of Wednesday, nearly 30,000 Clunker transactions had been submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the agency said, requesting a total of almost $96 million in disbursements.

Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., issued a statement Thursday evening calling on the administration and Congress to appropriate more money for the program, which she said has provided an important boost to the economy and resulted in 200,000 car sales.

"I am delighted to hear dealers say that all of their salespeople are busy and they are selling more cars in a day than they had been selling in a month," Stabenow said.

Cash for Clunkers may go on hold until DOT sorts things out

Also, pure idiocy what this program trying to do is a microcosm of the Obama administration. Ineptitude.

Not only that, the Obama is refusing to be transparent about this clunker deal.

The Obama administration is refusing to release government records on its “cash-for-clunkers” rebate program that would substantiate—or undercut—White House claims of the program’s success, even as the president presses the Senate for a quick vote for $2 billion to boost car sales.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said Sunday the government would release electronic records about the program, and President Barack Obama has pledged greater transparency for his administration. But the Transportation Department, which has collected details about 157,000 rebate requests, won’t release sales data that dealers provided showing how much U.S. car manufacturers are benefiting from the $1 billion initially pumped into the program.

The Associated Press has sought release of the data since last week. But the public and Senate Republicans demanding more information will have to wait for details because federal officials running the program don’t have time to turn over data delivered by car dealers, said Rae Tyson, spokesman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Obama administration withholds data on program

The problem is this. They are claiming "success" for this clunker program. Yet they are stonewalling the Associated Press, known to be friendly with the Obama administration?And at the same time Obama wants billions of dollars more in taxpayer subsidies for clunkers. Don't we taxpayers have a right to know how much of this money got spent in that program? It is a fact that this data belongs to the public! And certainly people should review this before Obama spends billions of dollars more on it. Isn't that what transparency is all about?

But if Obama continues to stonewall on how money gets spent on "Cash for Clunkers," imagine Obama's reaction to demands for the records on ObamaCare.

Bob and weave. The master on obfuscation

I read about that two days ago from Autoblog and I forget to post here.

Poor fuel efficient cars must die!

:wave: I, for one, know that my HEMI that loves sipping arab oil 4 x 4 3/4 ton quad cab Heavy Duty pick up truck, my boat and Cub Cadet garden lawn tractor engines are loveable and they are NOT going to die, as long as I am alive! They will be around a lot longer than nobama will be president of Illinoise. :giggle:

Anybody notice, that the new 2010 ford taurus has a new production facilty in downtown Chicago and that the Taurus is a full sized vehicle according to Ford. How long will it last? :laugh2:

Although, I am very happy for the Ford workers. :ty:

Last edited:
That's all you think of easy job to repair? I know RWD is easy than FWD for remove a engine or a transmission. :D

FWD is perfect safe for drive over the mattress. :laugh2:

Right, I like RWDs but sometime newer vehicles make me frustrates like hard to reach the O2 sensors in tight spaces.
Hey you think FWD is safe than RWD? I see oil sumps or pans damaged by hit
the objects on the road or parking curb. I saw a big hole in aluminum oil pan of a VW Jetta,cracked oil pick up tube. I had replaced aluminum oil pans on Euro cars few times.

Right, I like RWDs but sometime newer vehicles make me frustrates like hard to reach the O2 sensors in tight spaces.
Hey you think FWD is safe than RWD? I see oil sumps or pans damaged by hit
the objects on the road or parking curb. I saw a big hole in aluminum oil pan of a VW Jetta,cracked oil pick up tube. I had replaced aluminum oil pans on Euro cars few times.

Relax, I was joke about mattress thing. I dislike RWD and FWD. Don't worry about that.

Senate set to vote on 'Cash for Clunkers' extension

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A Senate vote on an extension of the popular Cash for Clunkers program is expected Thursday as lawmakers rush to finish business before their August recess.

The House voted to add $2 billion to the program before it adjourned for the summer on Friday. Now the Senate must agree for the additional money to become available right away.

Debate on the bill is expected to begin after the Senate's confirmation vote on the U.S. Supreme Court nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor.

Democratic and Republican leaders in the Senate said this week they expected the chamber to approve the extension.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada told journalists Tuesday that "we'll pass Cash for Clunkers ... before we leave here" for the August break.

Sen. John Thune of South Dakota opposes the program, but he said he expects all Senate Democrats and several Republicans to vote for additional funding.

"In the end, we know where the numbers are," Thune said.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky said the Senate would vote on the measure before going on holiday, but wouldn't wager a guess on the outcome.

The program under President Obama's economic stimulus package pays people up to $4,500 for trading an older-model vehicle with low fuel efficiency for new vehicles that get better miles per gallon.

It was intended to run until the fall, but higher-than-expected participation caused the government to warn last week the program would run out of money without an infusion from Congress. The extension, if approved, would keep the program going through Labor Day.

On Monday, two key senators who opposed more money for the program announced they had changed their minds and now supported the extension.

The announcement by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California, and Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, boosted Democratic efforts to secure enough votes to pass the measure this week.

While the Democrats have a filibuster-proof 60 Senate seats in their caucus, it remains unclear if they have enough votes to overcome strong Republican-led opposition to the legislation.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said Monday that the program will have to be suspended without Senate approval this week.

Senate set to vote on 'Cash for Clunkers' extension

Senate reaches deal on extending ‘clunkers’

WASHINGTON - The Senate reached a deal late Wednesday on saving the dwindling "cash for clunkers" program, agreeing to vote on a plan that would add $2 billion to the popular rebate program and give car shoppers until Labor Day to trade in their gas-guzzlers for a new ride.

Following lengthy negotiations, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Democrats and Republicans had agreed to vote on the plan Thursday, along with a series of potential changes to the bill, which was passed by the House last week. Reid has said Democrats have enough votes to approve the measure and reject any changes that would cause an interruption in the rebates of up to $4,500.

Reid said the agreement "accomplishes what we need to accomplish." The vote was not expected to happen until after 7 p.m. ET.

Late Wednesday, it was not clear that any of the proposed amendments stood a chance of passing. Some of them included placing an income limit on those benefiting from the vouchers and requiring the government to sell off its stakes in General Motors Co. and Chrysler Group LLC.

Any Senate changes to the bill would require another vote in the House, something that couldn't take place until the House returns in September from a monthlong recess.

August recess starts Friday

The government said Wednesday that more than $775 million of the $1 billion fund had been spent, accounting for nearly 185,000 new vehicles sold. President Barack Obama has said the program would go broke by Friday if not replenished by Congress.

That's the same day the Senate was to follow the House into the August recess, a looming break that Senate leaders often use to prod their colleagues past standoffs.

"We all acknowledge there's a significant majority that want to move forward with this legislation," Reid, D-Nev., said earlier in the day, adding that he has the votes to approve the House-passed version as is.

His Republican counterpart, Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, concurred that the matter would be settled soon. And objectors conceded they do not have the votes to force all of the changes they want, or to block the House version of the bill.

"My guess is, at the end of the day, it will pass," said Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., who called it an example of "Congress choosing winners and losers among industries."

The program offers car buyers rebates of between $3,500 and $4,500 for trading in their gas-guzzlers for new, higher-mileage models.

Cost of program to triple

The new funding would triple the cost of $1 billion rebate program and give as many as a half-million more Americans the chance to grab the new car incentives through September.

Car companies have credited the clunkers program with driving up sales in late July. Most consumers are buying smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles under the program, according to a list of the top-10 selling cars released Wednesday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Among manufacturers, General Motors Co. had the largest share, accounting for 18.7 percent of new sales, followed by Toyota Motor Corp. with 17.9 percent. Ford Motor Co. was third with 16 percent of the sales. Detroit automakers represented 45.3 percent of the total sales while Japan's Toyota, Honda Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co. accounted for 36.5 percent.

The Toyota Corolla is the top-selling vehicle on the list, followed by the Ford Focus, Honda Civic, Toyota Prius and the Toyota Camry. There is one SUV on the list, the Ford Escape, which also comes in a hybrid model that can get up to 32 miles per gallon. Six of the top-10 selling vehicles are built by foreign manufacturers, but most are built in North America.

Among states, Michigan has taken most advantage of the program, requesting more than $44 million in vehicle vouchers. California dealers had requested nearly $40 million in vouchers, and Ohio had sought nearly $38 million.

Senate passage would send the legislation to the White House for Obama's signature and assure consumers there will be no interruption in the program that has led to packed car dealerships nationwide.

The deals are aimed at boosting auto sales, which have been at their lowest levels in two decades.

Senate reaches deal on extending ‘clunkers’

It seem likely it will pass...

Sheesh, I wonder what plenty of Sugar mixed with gas would do to the engine? :giggle:

This reminded me of Slick 50 oil/lubricant commerical that guy pour in Slick 50 and drives car around for 4 or 5 hours then drained engine and remove oil pan and valve cover then fired up the engine and poured sand on top of engine and it still runs for 4 hours without oil. I thought it was sooo funny and I nearly planned to attempt it on my old Postal Jeep with fenders and hood removed so anyone can see valve tapping and crankshaft spins under it without valve cover and oil pan. :rofl:

Did anyone remember that Slick 50 commerical back in late 1980's and early 1990's

Catty

(sigh) Cant you figure it out? It's AWD. :D

LOL, good question. I cant think of AWD, I dunno. AWD is not my type but if I move to Big Island then I wld buy an used Subaru AWD. I have to adjust my taste on AWD. The highest percent of the vehicle passed the state emission
inspection (in Calif) is AWD cuz they cant test on the dynometer. RWD MBZs with traction control switches, cant test on the dyno also. The emission measurements on AWD or disengage traction control vehicles is HC and CO not NOX.

This only helps large businesses.

small used car businesses are not benefiting from this.

What ever happened to the promise of helping small businesses and the poor?

Something is not right about this!

And they are looking to have this extended!

LOL, good question. I cant think of AWD, I dunno. AWD is not my type but if I move to Big Island then I wld buy an used Subaru AWD. I have to adjust my taste on AWD. The highest percent of the vehicle passed the state emission
inspection (in Calif) is AWD cuz they cant test on the dynometer. RWD MBZs with traction control switches, cant test on the dyno also. The emission measurements on AWD or disengage traction control vehicles is HC and CO not NOX.

Are you kidding? My old coworker just take his Subaru Sti 2003 to dynamometer and he showed me the report. (He made 420hp from 300hp on his car after mod) What you mean AWD can't test?

Check it out.

AWD Dyno. 4WD Chassis Dynos dynamometer for sale

You can turn traction control off by button or fuse or relay. There is other way to do that. I can disable ABS by fuse for race because ABS suck!

I thought after 1996 vehicle do not need take DYNS for test emission. Just use use OBD-II to take test and passed. I went to emission place for test my car before and only take under 5 minutes to done. I see 90's car do not have OBD then use DYNO test and take more than 15 minutes or something. That's happen in 6 years ago from Chicago.

Are you kidding? My old coworker just take his Subaru Sti 2003 to dynamometer and he showed me the report. (He made 420hp from 300hp on his car after mod) What you mean AWD can't test?

Check it out.

AWD Dyno. 4WD Chassis Dynos dynamometer for sale

You can turn traction control off by button or fuse or relay. There is other way to do that. I can disable ABS by fuse for race because ABS suck!

I thought after 1996 vehicle do not need take DYNS for test emission. Just use use OBD-II to take test and passed. I went to emission place for test my car before and only take under 5 minutes to done. I see 90's car do not have OBD then use DYNO test and take more than 15 minutes or something. That's happen in 6 years ago from Chicago.
Most smog inspection stations in statewide ( in Calif), have single dyno and impossible to test on AWD vehicles. Only TSI (TWO SPEED IDLE) procedures are applying to the AWDs or RWDs (most MBZs) w/ traction control systems.
I think some place have dual dynos for measure speed or HP or TQ ? TSI procedure is the engine runs at 2,500 RPM for 30 sec then reduce to idle for another 30 sec with PARK or NEUTRAL in tranny. If you scan DMV paper or VIN label on the MBZ or AWD then the smog computer will tell u to perform TSI. One thing bother me is those AWDs or MBZs will emit more pollutes than TSI test when they hit on the roads. One example the non AWD vehicle
passed the dyno test as clean emission but will emit more pollutes, when driving on the road. Sounds stupid. Dont tell BAR my name. chuckle

Most smog inspection stations in statewide ( in Calif), have single dyno and impossible to test on AWD vehicles. Only TSI (TWO SPEED IDLE) procedures are applying to the AWDs or RWDs (most MBZs) w/ traction control systems.
I think some place have dual dynos for measure speed or HP or TQ ? TSI procedure is the engine runs at 2,500 RPM for 30 sec then reduce to idle for another 30 sec with PARK or NEUTRAL in tranny. If you scan DMV paper or VIN label on the MBZ or AWD then the smog computer will tell u to perform TSI. One thing bother me is those AWDs or MBZs will emit more pollutes than TSI test when they hit on the roads. One example the non AWD vehicle
passed the dyno test as clean emission but will emit more pollutes, when driving on the road. Sounds stupid. Dont tell BAR my name. chuckle

Interesting.. I just learned how to use emission analyzer few months ago and test on manual transmission (neutral) and rev at 2500 for 30 seconds.

Auto transmission (N at 2,500 rpm and D at idle with hold the brake) for 30 seconds. I noticed auto transmission is little more info than manual.

Cash for Clunkers Delorean to be destroyed

[yt]I8LkmUN8qYU[/yt]

I was at a car lot Saturday and came across this in the back. A mint 1983 Delorean that will be crushed because some lady traded it in for a new Corolla in the cash for clunkers program. I couldn't buy it, the salesman that took it in on trade tried to buy it, either she hated her husband that much or she justy doesnt care about the car...either way its going to get crushed, engine will die this week. If they call me when it gets picked up Im going follow it to the recycling plant to film it's destruction.

Oh crap! this is insane! :jaw:

Back