Car sick?

jazzy

Reaction score
I have almost 5 month old lab mix get car sick every time we took her to vet for shot. This time I prepared this morning to take her for her first rabies shot at vet then on way back home, she threw up. Now I need to find a way to cure her car sickness otherwise I could not take her to go anywhere with me for walk or hike. Anyone knew a way to cure car sick? grrr.

I have almost 5 month old lab mix get car sick every time we took her to vet for shot. This time I prepared this morning to take her for her first rabies shot at vet then on way back home, she threw up. Now I need to find a way to cure her car sickness otherwise I could not take her to go anywhere with me for walk or hike. Anyone knew a way to cure car sick? grrr.

Oh well... It did happened to me and my pets... I discussed with Vet... they told me not to feed them about 3 hours before taking out for a ride... They do have meds for it... I did not want to give my pets meds unless it is long ride... Just dont feed them about 3 hours... they will be fine... I hope it will work on your dog...

Other idea... get your dog used to car ride.. take her for a ride aound the block then back home... everyday... then increases two blocks.. so forth... they will overcome.. and would love to go for a ride.... they wont get sick.. again...

Do not get angry at your pet for vomiting in your car... just comfort pet and give lots of love.... pet her alot....

i have heard many people give their dogs a half piece of gravol before road trips, it calms them, and heklps them travel better and not get car sick, I would ask your vet if that is a good idea, or research it a bit, but I know it works frmo many people I have talked to. the actual dose may vary, depending on dog size

Put your dog on the front seat would help? Sometimes I am getting motion-sickness from the vehicle, I always sit on the front, and stare at the front window from the car. I know it is hard to make your dog to stare at the front window. Never hurt to ask vet for more info. ;)

My old vet told me to give children benyeral (sp) just 2 teaspoon I think..I don't remember exact though. And other choice is give FLAT Ginger ale soda. Our puppy get car sick too....so I haven't try with Ginger ale. I should buy small bottle just in case if we go somewhere. Tahoe used to get car sick but now she outgrew it. Thank god! I don't like clean up the mess! YUCK!

I did a quick google search to backup my response..

Try a motion potion. Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) -- the same drug people take to ward off car sickness -- also works for pets. Medium to large dogs should be given 25 to 50 milligrams of Dramamine at least an hour before traveling, cats and small dogs should get about 12.5 milligrams. Be sure to check with your vet before giving your pet any medicinal product. We recommend an all natural calming product

taken from here

Car Sick Pet - Pettravel.com Pet regulations, pet friendly domestic and international hotels and pet travel information!

If Snickers hasn't ridden in the van for a few days, every once in awhile she'll get sick. No big deal, as the vomit is only on a bedsheet that I have in the back and I take it out and wash in hot water and put in the dryer, just like regular laundry. I never get mad or yell at her for it, as it can't be helped.

i am sowwy that happened to u.. normal pets get sick car.. my cat love trip when i bring cage and he saw it i say bye bye then he come in cage and look at me.. i say ready go? then i closed cage then go to my suv and he love trip and not mad or not wild or meow too much.. so my cat is fine..

Oh well... It did happened to me and my pets... I discussed with Vet... they told me not to feed them about 3 hours before taking out for a ride... They do have meds for it... I did not want to give my pets meds unless it is long ride... Just dont feed them about 3 hours... they will be fine... I hope it will work on your dog...

Other idea... get your dog used to car ride.. take her for a ride aound the block then back home... everyday... then increases two blocks.. so forth... they will overcome.. and would love to go for a ride.... they wont get sick.. again...

Do not get angry at your pet for vomiting in your car... just comfort pet and give lots of love.... pet her alot....
That's often what leads to vomiting... having them eat right before they do something that makes them sick.

I had a roommate with a dog with a similar problem, but not car-related.

If he takes the dog out for a walk and returns home, the dog will quickly go into the kitchen to eat. Moments later, the dog would vomit.

At first, he thought it was because the dog was eating grass outside... but that wasn't the problem. It was because the dog walked a lot, then ate immediately afterwards.

So, he solved the problem by putting the food bowl on top of the fridge after talking walks... then 30 minutes to 1 hour later, he will put the bowl back down. The dog never vomited again for that. :thumb:

Thank you for the advice, I never thought of wait 3 hours. I hope it will work on our puppy. Yes she does not like ride in car, so we are working on her to feel comfortable in car.

I do not get angry cuz we did not think she would make it to live when we first brought her into our home. She was malnourish and dehydrated. We fell in love with her even thou she is a puppy and dig everywhere and try to sleep on our couch etc... Now she still adores. :)

i have heard many people give their dogs a half piece of gravol before road trips, it calms them, and heklps them travel better and not get car sick, I would ask your vet if that is a good idea, or research it a bit, but I know it works frmo many people I have talked to. the actual dose may vary, depending on dog size

what is gravol? Never heard of them before.

Put your dog on the front seat would help? Sometimes I am getting motion-sickness from the vehicle, I always sit on the front, and stare at the front window from the car. I know it is hard to make your dog to stare at the front window. Never hurt to ask vet for more info. ;)
She was sitting front of seat and it still not work.

My old vet told me to give children benyeral (sp) just 2 teaspoon I think..I don't remember exact though. And other choice is give FLAT Ginger ale soda. Our puppy get car sick too....so I haven't try with Ginger ale. I should buy small bottle just in case if we go somewhere. Tahoe used to get car sick but now she outgrew it. Thank god! I don't like clean up the mess! YUCK!

Really flat ginger ale soda will work on dogs? I do have benyeral and I did not know it will work on dog. . I hope my puppy will outgrew and yes I hate to clean up, stink up in my car.

If Snickers hasn't ridden in the van for a few days, every once in awhile she'll get sick. No big deal, as the vomit is only on a bedsheet that I have in the back and I take it out and wash in hot water and put in the dryer, just like regular laundry. I never get mad or yell at her for it, as it can't be helped.
U too. I am glad to know I am not only one who deal with the mess. I wanted her to go out with me as often as can but stuck with her not want to go in car and get sick. Tmw we have to leave her home while we take short trip up in the north. I am sad about that.

i am sowwy that happened to u.. normal pets get sick car.. my cat love trip when i bring cage and he saw it i say bye bye then he come in cage and look at me.. i say ready go? then i closed cage then go to my suv and he love trip and not mad or not wild or meow too much.. so my cat is fine..

:ty: yeah cats do get car sick. My son's cat too get sick every time she ride in the car and threw up. I thought it was because of the road they drove on alike mountain roads. She never get sick with us while she stayed with us. Interest your cat love travel. I leave our cats home and not take them anywhere with us except for dogs.

That's often what leads to vomiting... having them eat right before they do something that makes them sick.

I had a roommate with a dog with a similar problem, but not car-related.

If he takes the dog out for a walk and returns home, the dog will quickly go into the kitchen to eat. Moments later, the dog would vomit.

At first, he thought it was because the dog was eating grass outside... but that wasn't the problem. It was because the dog walked a lot, then ate immediately afterwards.

So, he solved the problem by putting the food bowl on top of the fridge after talking walks... then 30 minutes to 1 hour later, he will put the bowl back down. The dog never vomited again for that. :thumb:
It is same with people, do not eat before long walk or right after. I did once and learned my lesson, ate small breakfast and waited half hour then went out on walk. I got sick after that.

Yea! My cat had car sick just after 4 yrs old. She used to love to travel with us until she gets older and became car sick after that she vomited three times in a two weeks. So I thought something wrong with her after 4 yrs and turned out that it can be giving any pet car sick in their older ages! I am not sure if it's true cause i spoke with Vet down here depend on pet's ages!.. Oh I hate to clean up the vomit in my f'ck'ng car when i take her to have her tests and check up.. I hate to clean up and it makes me freaking sick!

My beloved dog love ride in the car. But the only time he will vomited is when he get so much excitment. So I had to make sure he stay calm. So it works.

Back