can u understand sign way too fast?

When I'm straight, I sign too fast.
When you don't understand my sign, buy me few shots of vodka, I'll sign slow.

When I'm straight, I sign too fast.
When you don't understand my sign, buy me few shots of vodka, I'll sign slow.

I can't get you vodka if I need to ask you to sign slow when I talk to you on VP :lol:

Yeah, I am the same way. Its very hard to understand sign that is signed fassst.

I sign fast and can understand who sign/fingerspell fast. I have to cuz I work with kids who are native ASL users especially those from Deaf families so as a teacher, I have to be very fluent in ASL. It helps by being in it at least 40 hours a day. At home, it is more of SEE and Sim-Com with my husband. :giggle:

I sign fast and can understand who sign/fingerspell fast. I have to cuz I work with kids who are native ASL users especially those from Deaf families so as a teacher, I have to be very fluent in ASL. It helps by being in it at least 40 hours a day. At home, it is more of SEE and Sim-Com with my husband. :giggle:

Since I learned sign directly from Deaf signers, and not in a classroom where they taught you a sign, and then had you repeat it, and then started stringing them together slowly to form concepts, I too learned from the very beginning to adjust to other's signing speed. In real life, ASL is not what is presented in the classroom teaching hearing students ASL. Two handed signs are often made one handed, shortcuts are taken, etc. Just the same as a hearing person speaking English will abbreviate or use slang or drop word endings in their speech. Being able to adjust to informal usage is part of being fluent in a language.

So I agree with you 100%.

I am deaf :rockon: so I always understand sign :D fasst or slow. It's our :deaf: language!

I am very bad at sign because I was raised oral. I do great at sign with my granddaughter, but she is only 18 months old, so small vocabulary.

Same here. I had some trouble catching on with fast signers, I would tell them hold it, slow down. :laugh2:

I am deaf :rockon: so I always understand sign :D fasst or slow. It's our :deaf: language!

You should meet the guy I knew in 6th grade. He had a deaf relative and learned how to fingerspell really fast. He could go too fast for me to read! :eek3:

My mom is an interpreter and is a little slow with reception of fingerspelling. :lol:

Friends sometime reminded me that I signed quite too fast. I'm known for that. lol But those very close understand me well rather so.

So I always remind myself to sign slower bit to others whoever know me less especially like on the stage or wherever. I know a female friend who signs faster than me so it does little hard for me to catch all what she says sometime, too so I get the idea how others read me. :lol:

lol, I am quite good at read fast signs included spelling, also i signs pretty much med to faster since ive been soicaled in my old school (MSD) which it got me improve with sign/read skills for asl.

My receptive skills are better than my expressive skills, though.

Same here. It's kind of a frustrating thing, in my opinion. I'd compare it to myself being bound and gagged while, at that very same time someone is standing right in front of me chit-chatting away...there's pretty much nothing i can do except sit there and listen. My turn to talk comes along and i'm (in effect) rendered mute. :roll:

for me, i just sign normal speed if anyone dont undy me i like when they let me know if they cant undy me and i wud be more than glad to sign again and spell too just in the case if they never see that kind of sign before but when someone sign that fast just depend on HOW FAST but not like superhero "flash" haha for sure i wont be able to catch it

Everybody says that I sign too fast for them since I could adjust my own sign like I have my own accent sign which my co worker said, I was so surprised because I didnt notice myself w hich she had been watching me whole of time everytime when I talk to each person and she could see how my sign adjust "accent".

I can kind of understand other people who signs fast. I sign fast most of the time. Like medium fast. Its probably because with the help of reading music on based how fast it goes...I'm in the marching band and the music in the band is going to be really fast so i have to read the music fast and play it fast. So I guess thats how i'm able to see signing fast.

I knew one girl who fingerspelled (and sometimes signed) so fast that her hand literally blurred and became impossible to read. Try flapping your hand really fast. That's how her signing looked.

I'm a fast signer and my interpreter hates that!! During the course of my meeting with non-signer customers at my office, it is my interpreter's duty to translate all of my signs into voice for relaying messages/information. Often my terp will interrupt me and ask me to repeat what I just signed several times. God love her for sticking up with me at work. Even when I'm with other deaf signers, most of them seem to adapt to my style of signing and few times some would ask me to repeat my fingerspelling especially my husband.:lol:

I'm a fast signer and my interpreter hates that!! During the course of my meeting with non-signer customers at my office, it is my interpreter's duty to translate all of my signs into voice for relaying messages/information. Often my terp will interrupt me and ask me to repeat what I just signed several times. God love her for sticking up with me at work. Even when I'm with other deaf signers, most of them seem to adapt to my style of signing and few times some would ask me to repeat my fingerspelling especially my husband.:lol:

LOL! I learned ASL through immersion into the Deaf Culture many years ago. One of the first signs I learned was, "Again, please. Slow."

Back