Boy, 8, accidentally kills self at gun show

hhmmm :hmm: Do you know the brand name cuz I'm not remembering any...

There are several but I cannot recall off-hand right now as it has been many years since I was constantly around guns. There are also some exquisite Spanish, German, and others who make shotguns that are very, very expensive.

Meanwhile, at home, there's always the Browning auto if you want to spend a thousand bucks. Me? I'll stay with Remington's flagship gun, the Model 870 pump.

Death at show fuels US gun debate

New questions have been raised about US gun laws after a boy aged eight shot himself in the head with a submachine gun at a Massachusetts weapons fair.

Christopher Bizilj died after losing control of a recoiling Uzi submachine gun as he fired it at a pumpkin.

Both the boy's father and an instructor were present when the accident happened on Sunday at the gun show in Westfield.

State legislators are now considering drafting a bill banning under-21s from firing automatic weapons, reports say.

"We should take swift action to provide some reasonable restrictions on this type of unreasonable practice," Congressman Michael Costello told the Boston Globe newspaper.

"It's almost indescribable that within a year of leaving a booster seat, an eight-year-old can be holding a submachine gun."

Strict laws

The boy's father, Charles Bizilj, said he was 10ft (3m) behind Christopher when the accident happened at the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo.

Mr Bizilj told the Globe he had allowed his son to shoot the Uzi - which can fire hundreds of rounds a minute - because it was considered to have little recoil.

He said Christopher had fired handguns and rifles before, but never an automatic weapon.

"This is a horrible event, a horrible travesty, and I really don't know why it happened," said Mr Bizilj, a hospital director from Ashford, Connecticut.

Police have described the incident as a "self-inflicted accidental shooting".

But they are continuing to investigate whether the fair's organisers and Westfield Sportsmen's Club - the private shooting club where the gun show was held - held the appropriate licences.

Massachusetts has strict gun laws that require parental consent and the presence of a certified and licensed instructor before a child is allowed to fire a weapon.

BBC NEWS | Americas | Death at show fuels US gun debate

I :applause: Massachusetts for strict gun laws!!!!

Do not assume the father was irresponsible or whatsoever. It's simply a horrible tragic and let's just leave it at that.

Well, it's irresponsible of father to give Uzi to 8 years old...

Daredevel7's post.
Yes accidents happen, but there comes to a point where the risk is too much. Letting an 8 year old freely shoot a Uzi seems more risky to me than riding a horse. I forget whether 8 year olds have the capability to hold themselves onto a horse but a parent should ride along with them if not.

The purpose of riding a horse is quite different from the purpose of shooting an Uzi. That's my point.

Exactly

I'm absolutely sure the boy didn't shoot it freely without any adult assistance. Like I said previously - I don't know what happened but I'm very positive that the father or a supervisor was there behind him, assisting him and somehow.... this horrible incident happened.

I as mother NEVER understand adult assistance and parent for give UZI to 8 years old boy to held alone few feet distance from him when they know Uzi is very risky... 8 years old???????????????? 8 years old is f**king little child... There're NOTHING compare guns with horse, camel, or whatever. Due my experience, I often sat close with my toddlers/little children on the camel or donkey, not few feet distance away from my toddlers but HOLD them...

Maybe the adult was in process to position himself behind the child and somehow - the child got overly-excited, quickly grabbed the gun, and pulled the trigger. Who knows? This is for sure - this gun range remains closed for several months for investigation.

It shows adult's IRRESPONSIBLY itself...

I think it is VERY stupid for someone as an 8 year old to hold something so deadly and dangerous yet, even it is loaded.

He is not old enough to handle weapons that are as dangerous as the Uzi.

When I was around 13 or so, my first gun was obviously a B.B. gun as it is usually the type of gun that kids first learn with it for shooting. I never own any other guns besides that since they are obviously expensive anyway.

It is very stupid to have a very young child holding a certain weapon like that...then *BANG* to his head. obviously shows he was not ready to use that.

I AGREE totally

Shel90's post
Terrible tradegy and I am sure the father will feel the guilt for the rest of his life.

Good Lord, giving an eight-year-old an Uzi set for full rock 'n roll? Very sad and entirely preventable. I really feel for the father, who must live with his guilt and family for the rest of his life.

*nodding agreement sadly*

why even own a Ferrari? or a V-12 supercar? or even those GIGANTIC suv? V4 car should be enough and it's good for safety & environment. A small person or non-attentive person could kill a family in a car with a hummer. OVERKILL. :roll:

Could you please provide us a source to support your claim because I never heard that the father give a car key to 8 years old child to use sport cars?

same common sense. wrong issuance of blame. one of them cause far more deaths than other and I think you know which one.

we're not talking about giving a gun to a little boy. the issue here is about you thinking those type of guns like AK-47 and UZI are unnecessary and probably should be banned. beside - who said someone gave it to 8-years old? Maybe he simply grabbed it and shot it.

Accord the articles, the father ALLOWED his 8 years old son use UZI.

When he was shooting, the gun had "kick back", which means as he fired it, it threw back against his shoulder. He lost control of the gun at that point, and, still firing, the barrel of the gun turned in an angle that had him take a round of ammunition to his head.

An Uzi is a very powerful weapon and can be difficult for an adult male to control, much less an 8 year old child.

Hope this helps explain.

*goose bump* :cold: I NEVER understand why the parents allow their little children to use UZI when they KNEW it's RISKY...????????????

So here is what I think. I think deep deep deep deeeeeep inside, Jiro agrees with all of us and thinks this was wrong, BUT he's afraid of more gun laws because he just loves his freedom and guns so much. I saw him in his free time, he was wrapped by an American flag and cuddling with his shotgun. Touching picture... Im kidding Jiro!!
Seriously folks, I agree that something went horrendously wrong, but really what did you expect, for them to make a law increasing the age of handling a gun? Must be at least 12 years old? Im sure 12 year old will somehow kill themselves. Hell a 30 year old can kill himself accidentally. The law says that a child can handle a gun under the supervision of a parent. From the information Liebling (thanks!) gave, the father gave the son the gun because he ASSUMED that it had little recoil and his son was strong enough to handle it. Stupid assumption = disastrous consequences. I still cant believe his dad made an ASSUMPTION in such a risky environment.. same thing as saying "I THINK this rope stretches about 100 feet, and the drop is 130 feet.. Yea it will be fine... BUNGEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! *splat*

*goose bump* :cold: I NEVER understand why the parents allow their little children to use UZI when they KNEW it's RISKY...????????????

Perhaps little children couldn't wait until they're 18 to join the army. :shrug:

So here is what I think. I think deep deep deep deeeeeep inside, Jiro agrees with all of us and thinks this was wrong, BUT he's afraid of more gun laws because he just loves his freedom and guns so much. I saw him in his free time, he was wrapped by an American flag and cuddling with his shotgun. Touching picture... Im kidding Jiro!!
Seriously folks, I agree that something went horrendously wrong, but really what did you expect, for them to make a law increasing the age of handling a gun? Must be at least 12 years old? Im sure 12 year old will somehow kill themselves. Hell a 30 year old can kill himself accidentally. The law says that a child can handle a gun under the supervision of a parent. From the information Liebling (thanks!) gave, the father gave the son the gun because he ASSUMED that it had little recoil and his son was strong enough to handle it. Stupid assumption = disastrous consequences. I still cant believe his dad made an ASSUMPTION in such a risky environment.. same thing as saying "I THINK this rope stretches about 100 feet, and the drop is 130 feet.. Yea it will be fine... BUNGEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! *splat*

:laugh2:

Yes, I saw Jiro and draw him while he still sleeping...

Proof here...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2094/1975426232_fd43135304.jpg?v=0

:giggle:

Perhaps little children couldn't wait until they're 18 to join the army. :shrug:

Honestly, I don't think so...

My both boys play with toy guns when they were little... They grow out of it... :shrug:

I notice many children join the army to follow their father's step because they grew up in milatary world...

OMG! HOW DID YOU KNOW???? lol. But yes - I could NOT believe when I read Liebling's article that they're going to create a stricter law. Here's an expression - "throwing the baby out with the bathwater." I could not believe how quick they are to change it after just ONE incident which is INCREDIBLY rare. This pretty much spoils it all. What an overzealous killjoy.

Why not raise age limit of driving?? Why not raise age limit for drinking? Why not etc? IMO - it's simpler and better for all if the future gun show would enforce its new rule - "NO CHILDREN UNDER AGE --- ARE ALLOWED TO SHOOT"

After all.... this is Massachusetts and I was a bit surprised to see its bit-lax law but it emphasizes on personal responsibility. This is one of the most liberal and intelligent state we're talking about. Looks like they cannot make an intelligent decision after all...... and looks like they needed to be told and cuddled with on what to do and what not to do.

I fear for America.

Could you please provide us a source to support your claim because I never heard that the father give a car key to 8 years old child to use sport cars?

No...... Woka and others see no purpose & reason in owning or selling assault weapons like AK-47 and M4. Well I see no purpose in owning those supercar as you can't drive that fast in USA and the giant SUV is dangerous. :dunno2:

why even own a Ferrari? or a V-12 supercar? or even those GIGANTIC suv? V4 car should be enough and it's good for safety & environment. A small person or non-attentive person could kill a family in a car with a hummer. OVERKILL. :roll:

Remember that when an SUV/HUmmer? or any other car that is being made today usually have safety devices such as air bags, etc. One can have an accident in an SUV and walk away unscathed. Whereas picking up an loaded Uzi to shoot--can kill.

This kid's head injury was fatal. Footballs and hockey pucks are not designed to kill.

This is a clear case of a parent and the show's sponsors being completely irresponsible.

There are sports gear that protect the head in football and hockey. Rarely does one hear of someone being killed at a football game. However I know of one incident where a bystander got killed by a hockey puck at the Columbus Bluejackets game in Ohio......now that was a rare incident!

and people like you want to choose to dictate rules for all. that is a true definition of domestic dissent. You don't come from their way of life but you think your way of life is better than theirs. I don't know about you but I think you got your priority wrong. This tragic incident is hardly a blip in the radar since it's so rare.

what could possibly be any worse than this?

:) Remember when one accuses an individual of domestic dissent--there are three fingers pointing back to the accuser. :) YOU DOMESTIC DISSENT! :lol:

Back