Boy, 8, accidentally kills self at gun show

Here is a youtube of typical gun fair for "family-get-together" event.

Westfield Machine Gun shoot with Michael 08 <-- ***I have inserted a tag that skips ahead to 3 min 25 sec. because it shows a little boy shooting UZI gun.*** - Obviously he is not 8 years old... probably around 12 years old but just showing you what the gun fair is like and how it's being conducted.

Full Clip
[yt]-KOgOEvhrbw[/yt]

I'm a bit confused, how did the boy accidentally shot himself in the head if his father is right behind him?

Honestly, I do not know anything about guns so I dunno what is Uzi submachine.

When he was shooting, the gun had "kick back", which means as he fired it, it threw back against his shoulder. He lost control of the gun at that point, and, still firing, the barrel of the gun turned in an angle that had him take a round of ammunition to his head.

An Uzi is a very powerful weapon and can be difficult for an adult male to control, much less an 8 year old child.

Hope this helps explain.

When he was shooting, the gun had "kick back", which means as he fired it, it threw back against his shoulder. He lost control of the gun at that point, and, still firing, the barrel of the gun turned in an angle that had him take a round of ammunition to his head.

An Uzi is a very powerful weapon and can be difficult for an adult male to control, much less an 8 year old child.

Hope this helps explain.

Oh geez! That's awful!

this is not a training purpose. this is just for fun. I'm sure when you take your kid to zoo, you would put the kid on horse or some animal. Well hey - what if that animal had unpredictable behavior? It would throw him off, step on him, bite him, etc.

this is some kind of exhibition hosted by private gun range - probably a yearly traditional thing. They let you shoot under the supervision. What happened is.... with my educated guess - the UZI has quite a recoil and for 8 years old to handle it? That's too young and weak to handle the recoil. When you depress the trigger, the gun goes upward due to recoil. With improper handling, that's how you get shot in the face. You tend to panic because of un-expectation. when you panic, you tend to squeeze the trigger (clenching the grip) especially in machine guns and tragedy can happens.

The father most likely positioned himself behind the child to control the recoil. Somehow - it slips thru. Who knows? I'm sorry for them that this happened under safe, controlled environment but it does happen. You can get injured/killed even from atv/horseback riding for tourism anyway. Should we ban it too? It's dangerous too. Accident happens and it's RARE for this to happen at exhibition/gun show.

If you want to do something fun with your kid, take him to a ball game. Don't hand him an Uzi. This kind of "fun" got a child killed.

And, no, I never put my child on a wild animal at the zoo. A child getting thrown from a horse may end up with a broken arm, not with his head blown off. And yes, I also made sure my son knew how to handle a gun, just as I was taught to handle a gun. He learned to shoot using the same "over and under" and the same .22 I learned to shoot with. But I also made certain that he was old enough and big enough to be able to handle the kick.

Hope this helps explain.

UZI is designed to not have a strong recoil. That's what it's famous for. It works as advertised.

[yt]s6BV8P0nNas&NR=1[/yt]

Perhaps. The gun show can simply put up its own rule - "NO CHILDREN UNDER AGE --- ALLOWED TO SHOOT"

I don't know how this slipped past me me but I didn't realize there was 2nd half of article. Don't you love MSNBC site where it puts a large ads in middle of it? I was at work and the monitor was small so I overlooked it. From what the article said - looks like the instructor will be shit-faced for failing to ensure the safe handling of gun.

As usual, it takes for someone to die to do something about it? I would think anyone with common sense wouldnt take that risk in the first place.

If you want to do something fun with your kid, take him to a ball game. Don't hand him an Uzi. This kind of "fun" got a child killed.

that's not yours or my choice because this is America. Who are we to say what fun activity to do or not to do? Should we ban hockey and football? it can cause head injury.

As usual, it takes for someone to die to do something about it? I would think anyone with common sense wouldnt take that risk in the first place.

because it rarely happens. We hear more of amusement park accidents than this kind of accident at gun fair. what's up with that? Remember a few stories for past several months? A teen whose head got decapitated.... a girl lost both of her feet... Roller Coaster is surely dangerous! :-o

UZI is designed to not have a strong recoil. That's what it's famous for. It works as advertised.

[yt]s6BV8P0nNas&NR=1[/yt]

Well it had enough kick to get this kid killed, acccording to the reports from eye witnesses.

because it rarely happens. We hear more of amusement park accidents than this kind of accident at gun fair. what's up with that? Remember a few stories for past several months? A teen whose head got decapitated.... a girl lost both of her feet... Roller Coaster is surely dangerous! :-o

But we know that guns are made to maime or kill people/animals. Rollercoasters are made for entertainment, not guns. People who handle or use guns have to be very responsible and know what they are doing. It seems like the victim didnt know what he was doing when he handled a deadly weapon. Guns are weapons arent they? Especially an Uzi?

that's not yours or my choice because this is America. Who are we to say what fun activity to do or not to do? Should we ban hockey and football? it can cause head injury.

This kid's head injury was fatal. Footballs and hockey pucks are not designed to kill.

This is a clear case of a parent and the show's sponsors being completely irresponsible.

I understand you are a gun lover and everything. My dad collects guns but why a loaded Uzi?

I understand you are a gun lover and everything. My dad collects guns but why a loaded Uzi?

The whole point is that handing a loaded Uzi to an 8 year old child is a very strange idea of "fun."

But we know that guns are made to maime or kill people/animals. Rollercoasters are made for entertainment, not guns. People who handle or use guns have to be very responsible and know what they are doing. It seems like the victim didnt know what he was doing when he handled a deadly weapon. Guns are weapons arent they? Especially an Uzi?

for this purpose - it's for entertainment as well. Roller coaster is for entertainment too. both are dangerous with potential risk to lose your life or limb.

This kid's head injury was fatal. Footballs and hockey pucks are not designed to kill.

This is a clear case of a parent and the show's sponsors being completely irresponsible.

yup.... yup... indeed. again - nothing is 100% safe. Maybe the boy mishandled it. maybe the instructor overlooked the safety procedure. maybe the parents made a fatal error in their judgment. maybe maybe maybe. either way - nothing is 100% safe. it happens but how often do you hear this kind of accident at gun fair? This is probably 1st time in a long while. and roller coasters deaths? tsk....

don't ask me. obviously - you wouldn't take your kids to such event. that's fine. it's your choice. his parents choose to take their kids to it. Perhaps they should have stuck to their original concern (not letting kids use machine guns).

The whole point is that handing a loaded Uzi to an 8 year old child is a very strange idea of "fun."

hey, I thought you're open-minded to different cultures and people's different way of enjoying entertainment.

for this purpose - it's for entertainment as well. Roller coaster is for entertainment too. both are dangerous with potential risk to lose your life or limb.

yup.... yup... indeed. again - nothing is 100% safe. Maybe the boy mishandled it. maybe the instructor overlooked the safety procedure. maybe the parents made a fatal error in their judgment. maybe maybe maybe. either way - nothing is 100% safe. it happens but how often do you hear this kind of accident at gun fair? This is probably 1st time in a long while. and roller coasters deaths? tsk....

Oh, come on Jiro. Don't even try that old tactic. More people ride roller coasters than shoot Uzis at gun fairs. You do the math.

don't ask me. obviously - you wouldn't take your kids to such event. that's fine. it's your choice. his parents choose to take their kids to it. Perhaps they should have stuck to their original concern (not letting kids use machine guns).

hey, I thought you're open-minded to different cultures and people's different way of enjoying entertainment.

I am extremely open to different cultures and different forms of entertainment. I am not open to neglectful parenting practices or lax laws that take a child's life away.

Oh, come on Jiro. Don't even try that old tactic. More people ride roller coasters than shoot Uzis at gun fairs. You do the math.

actually no. There are gun fairs ALL over USA and it's not a "couple events" per year. Probably 99.99999999999999% of all gun fairs for past DECADES did not result in any fatality. I doubt you have heard of anything like this in 10 years.

what a horrible tragedy about an 8 yrs old boy.. thats so terrible and so wrong to bring kids to the gun shows/fair. I thought it was only for adults who loves guns or loves hunting.

Back