Birth Control and Teens

We see many endless threads on abortions.

So what would you do to ensure your teenage daughter from getting pregnant? Or having your teen son getting someone pregnant?

By saying this, I am talking about educating children on waiting til they are married. As we know a lot of teens are sexually active regardless of what their parents say. Hence they are not all angels.

How do you feel about parents that put their daughters on birth control or condoms. Or giving your son condoms. Health dept will do it for free without parential consent.

I believe it is ok. Teaching teens to practice safe sex is NOT giving them permission. It is teaching them to protect themselves from STD and unwanted pregnancy.

I rather to know my children will practice sex safely than them doing it without protection.

It is almost impossible to stop teen sex. Statistic shows a lot of teen have sex before finishing High School.

Please discuss.

Currently my best plan for making sure my kids don't accidentally get pregnant is to hope they're gay (like their dear old moms). :giggle:

Of course I'll also be sure to teach them all about safe sex with whoever they're with. Sex was never really a "taboo" subject at all for me growing up, and I feel like it promotes much healthier attitudes and understanding of it.

I am in full support of sexual education being taught in health classes.

I'll also raise my children to know that they can talk to my about sex - I think a constant conversation about it is good. Not just "one talk" and that's it.

I will definately keep condoms in the house, lmao.

A daughter getting pregnant or my son getting someone pregnant would not be the end of the world. I will always support my child.

I agree with everyone here...

I do not need to add my post here...

All what I want to share about my soon to be 16 years old son. I know from my feeling that he had sex relation because I can tell thru his different movement...

We once caught him tried condom out of curiousity at several years ago... Should I mad with him? No, but let him experiement out of curiousity... Of course we told him that condom is not 100% safe but it's good thing is protect from diease ... I also told him that the pill is also not 100% safe, too. Best is use condom to make sure...

Some people think birth control just gives their child permission to have sex.

Anyone here thinks that?

True, several people I know said this.. we debated over those issues at other Forums before.

One of my good friends' sister is a very religion person. She brought her 3 children up strict... 3 children can't talk open with their parents... until happened... *Anna*, 15 years old daughter met and fall in love with 21 years old guy (now her husband) in 1999... He is her first love... She went to her mother for advice... Guess what, she said that she won't permit her to have birth control pill until she is 18 years old... So they use condom to have sex... she fall in pregnant...

My friend's sister & husband and *Anna*'s boyfriend (now husband)'s parents together support them finanically (boyfriend was a student, that's time)... They lived at attic of sister's and husband's big house... renovation into beautiful home - own kitchen, living room, etc for them to prepare for a child together... They support *Anna* for continue her study as social worker... It's her dream wish... They got married at 2 years ago and have another child... and got job... it fulfill their dream wish... It's wonderful... I told my friend that I can image what they become without their parent's support? I would do the same as *Anne* and guy's family if any happened to my sons... then they have my support... because I want to see my both son's go to good path, not bad path because he made a mistake.

I've been on birth control since I was 16. It was mostly due to really bad periods but at the same time I knew I was getting older and my feelings could change at any time about remaining abstinent so to be on the safe side I went on birth control which also helped with my skin, and period, and now it helps me be safe from accidently getting pregnant. My bf and I are now broken up/on a break but when we did have sex we almost always used condoms, i made him, and only once did we have an accident that we were unprotected as we had been drinking, but again i was still on the pill.

It show that you have good responsible and care on your life.

It's not only human begin being flawless nor education and parents. It always been happen to anyone for long time in present and past. It goes the same in future.

I have already started this dialogue with my daughters. They dont want to hear it of course but I keep bringing it up so by the time they are ready they will remember that their Mom is open minded and want them to be safe and protected in every way so will be willing to get them on the pills or whatnot. It is not an easy subject to discuss in length with them as they are easily embarrased and shy about this topic but I want them to remember tidbits of our talks in back of their heads and that I am not a judgemental type.

Of course I talked about abstinence but thena gain I am not going to be fooling myself thinking that they wont have sex until they get married! I basically told them it is very important that they wait for that SPECIAL guy, not throw it away on some jerk. I pray that they will meet nice boys, not bad boys!

Hope that they will be able to differentiate between the two as some girls just end up with love & lust in their eyes without knowing how bad they are being treated.

I'll never forget my first conversation about sex with my parents.

It was *shuddering* horrifying.

It is not easy to talk about sex with my children. But it has to be done. I'm very fortunate that my daughter is open and honest with me.
She askes a lot of questions and I'm surprised by what she already knows.
And she is only in 6th grade.

Indeed, It has to be done. My boys are not at the age yet to talk about it but when the time comes, I know I will have to talk to them about that issue. I'm just not looking forward to it, haha but yeah, gotta do it one way or another.

That is good to know your daughter is being open and honest with you. It shows that she is trusting you and she knows she can rely on you for any thing even if the subject is sensitive.

I also would promote the awareness which is obviously important. Not only that, It will also ensure their maturity too.

I agree with you, Babyblue, teaching the teenagers is not a permission, just to teach them to be protective.

Not much of a debate. :giggle:

Glad to see more and more people understanding about this issue. :)

My question would be, "Since when do teens need parental permission to have sex?" If they needed permission, the teen pregnancy rate would not be as high as it is, because I'm fairly sure that mommy and daddy aren't giving all these teens permission to have sex. :giggle: What they need is information in order to protect themselves from unwanted pregnancy and STDs. I really don't think it is an issue of whether or not they are going to have sex. The issue is whether or not they will have responsible sex. Educate, educate, educate.

I feel that personally, the biggest problem that plays a huge variable in every teenager's life are their friends.

Yes, there's also various media factors like dirty magazines, TV, random exposure from all kinds of content.

Let's face it. The USA tends to view females as sexual objects, this is said before and given as a fact many times.

Other various countries are developing or nowhere near the economics of the US. They would tend to follow US customs due to the fact that the US holds a high value in trade, barter, and mercantile. Women are generally viewed as second to men in those places, which the Women's Suffrage period ended in our states sometime ago this century. So figuratively speaking in this case, women are not highly desired for the same reasons. It's the laws and common culture & society that influences people. Laws are used to govern people, and in this case since people are protected under law, sexual desires and impulses are regulated to an extent.

But let's not get into that, it's a complete veer off into another topic.

The way I view the average teenager; who completes K-12 through a public US education system - typically, most are interactive with the schoolmates and friends they get to be around as they get older.

Their schoolmates are the biggest influence on what the child does. Particularly what to wear, what to eat, what's cool, what to do, what's gossip. Though I'm sure the average child does not get into the gossip part until junior high or high school. That's where they start getting into sexuality and those subjects.

I'm not completely sure, but for science courses in the USA Education system, these days it is mandatory to have a sexuality or health class starting junior high. I remember my science teacher taking over that task back then.

But anyways, average kids from here on get influenced by the friends that they are with, if any. Say that John has a few friends, Jane, Joe and Jill. They are all studious types, following a strict schedule set by their parents. So for them, it's school, study, books, homework, soccer, 1 hour of TV, visit grandma on the weekends. The only influences for these to start getting ideas would occur from either: (not limited to, but leaving exotic occurrences out of the variables)
a) Friend of their friends - their social network
b) Media - Television, Playboy, Movies.

As you can see, this inhibits their hormones big time due to the fact the options of "getting ideas of sex" are limited. If they caught their mom and pop in the middle of it, then that might change things around, but let's follow a general flow line for that example.

On the other hand, the fact that many kids do not complete their public education properly because they drop out, don't finish their work, don't study. In these, but not necessarily all - they are possibly interacting with the wrong things during their growth, and predominantly exposing their experiences with all their school friends. Remember, facts and studies tend to show that K-12 dropouts are not uncommon, which was a 1-in-4 or 1-in-5?. That means there's a 25% chance that one of their friends are a dropout.

Now I understand that not all kids drop out for the same reasons. Some could be for family issues, domestic problems, etcetera etcetera.

Again, just wanted to say it for all the parents on here - Your child's friends make the biggest impact on how they act when they grow up!

I feel that personally, the biggest problem that plays a huge variable in every teenager's life are their friends.

Yes, there's also various media factors like dirty magazines, TV, random exposure from all kinds of content.

Let's face it. The USA tends to view females as sexual objects, this is said before and given as a fact many times.

Other various countries are developing or nowhere near the economics of the US. They would tend to follow US customs due to the fact that the US holds a high value in trade, barter, and mercantile. Women are generally viewed as second to men in those places, which the Women's Suffrage period ended in our states sometime ago this century. So figuratively speaking in this case, women are not highly desired for the same reasons. It's the laws and common culture & society that influences people. Laws are used to govern people, and in this case since people are protected under law, sexual desires and impulses are regulated to an extent.

But let's not get into that, it's a complete veer off into another topic.

The way I view the average teenager; who completes K-12 through a public US education system - typically, most are interactive with the schoolmates and friends they get to be around as they get older.

Their schoolmates are the biggest influence on what the child does. Particularly what to wear, what to eat, what's cool, what to do, what's gossip. Though I'm sure the average child does not get into the gossip part until junior high or high school. That's where they start getting into sexuality and those subjects.

I'm not completely sure, but for science courses in the USA Education system, these days it is mandatory to have a sexuality or health class starting junior high. I remember my science teacher taking over that task back then.

But anyways, average kids from here on get influenced by the friends that they are with, if any. Say that John has a few friends, Jane, Joe and Jill. They are all studious types, following a strict schedule set by their parents. So for them, it's school, study, books, homework, soccer, 1 hour of TV, visit grandma on the weekends. The only influences for these to start getting ideas would occur from either: (not limited to, but leaving exotic occurrences out of the variables)
a) Friend of their friends - their social network
b) Media - Television, Playboy, Movies.

As you can see, this inhibits their hormones big time due to the fact the options of "getting ideas of sex" are limited. If they caught their mom and pop in the middle of it, then that might change things around, but let's follow a general flow line for that example.

On the other hand, the fact that many kids do not complete their public education properly because they drop out, don't finish their work, don't study. In these, but not necessarily all - they are possibly interacting with the wrong things during their growth, and predominantly exposing their experiences with all their school friends. Remember, facts and studies tend to show that K-12 dropouts are not uncommon, which was a 1-in-4 or 1-in-5?. That means there's a 25% chance that one of their friends are a dropout.

Now I understand that not all kids drop out for the same reasons. Some could be for family issues, domestic problems, etcetera etcetera.

Again, just wanted to say it for all the parents on here - Your child's friends make the biggest impact on how they act when they grow up!

While I certainly agree that friends have a huge impact on teens, I disagree that not viewing sexually explicit materials inhibits hormone production. Hormone production is a biological function. They will be there whether the child looks at sexually explicit material or not. And, chances are, whether the child is a straight A student or a student who doesn't give any value to education at all, they will act in ways determined by the production of their hormones.

Also, its not so much that children who drop out of school get pregnant, but that pregnant teens drop out of school.

The only way to prevent a teen from experimenting with sexual behavior is to lock them in a cage 24/7. Teens do what teens have always done since the beginning of time. Experiment with sexuality. It is normal and to be expected. That is why it is mandatory to educate them.

And it's not even teens who are experimenting with sex...LITTLE KIDS do it too! They just don't know what they're doing..and of course for the most part it's not to the degree of full blown sex but...y'know. for example my great aunt walked in on my two nieces, ages 7 and 10 humping one another... once with their clothes on and another with their clothes off. Lets not forget little Tommy C. who wanted to show me what was in his pants behind the tube slide if I showed him what was in mine during elementary school...

I digress...

they're going to do it anyway, so why not educate them so they go about it safely?

I forgot to mention that not ALL of these little kids are innocent in their little play..SOME of them know what they're doing when they go about..humping one another..

A lot if kids are maturing physically faster so at what age do you all think is appropriate to teach your child about sex?

I agreed with most of their posts above and on the other page, so I don't need to add anything. :)

But it is pretty interesting since I see differently than what they see. My opinion, I prefer to teach my toddler child names of the human body because of sex offenders and monifitie child (whatever word is, please correct me, thanks). Only parents and doctor can touch a toddler's thingys for medical reasons but strangers, friends, and others CANNOT touch parents' child. I just prefer to teach a young child it is not okay for anyone (except parents and doctor) to touch her/him, period. So my child will know names of the human body rather than she or he is an 'ignorant' for not know about what is wrong and what is right for her/his own body. If somebody touches my kid, I'm sure my child will tell me so I probably would believe (depend on situation and reaction of child's feeling).

As for pre teens, when she/he is around eight or ten years old (depend), I like to teach her/him about sex, diseases, money, and drugs, and against desire of attentions, and sometimes teens could be dangerous. Just teach a child about telling them a "no" word to certin things all the time and avoid those certian things. I, myself, never have seen witnessed some young kids are invovled with teens, but I learned from very several people I know who. :shock: When my future kid is near to be a teenager like 11 or 12, I would like to teach openly about sex education and prevention of pregnancy, and the same subject (more deeper than a basic) about sex and drug with her/him because the open commutation is pretty importance to me. :)

This is my POV and my opinion.
Peace

A lot if kids are maturing physically faster so at what age do you all think is appropriate to teach your child about sex?

I take the position that it is never too early to start, but we need to keep things age appropriate. For instance, a child should be taught, from the beginning, the proper names for their body parts, but I wouldn't start explaining the functions of those body parts (except for toilet training), until much later. Certainly, the age of 8-10 is not too early to start with basic reproductive information. Kids at the age of 2 should start to learn about good touch/bad touch and which areas of their body are off limits. Sex ed is not something that happens just once and then you are done with it. It should be ongoing with new information discussed according to the child's developmental stages.

Exactly.

My kids learned about their body parts and the difference between a boy and girl. They also learned about good touches and bad touches when they were pre school age

My daughter is 11 going on 12
so we talk openly about boys and bras etc. Communicatingwith her about her physical changes. I am content knowing she is aware of her body and how to protect it.

We don't just talk about sex. I also am open with her about drugs and alcohol.

Exactly.

My kids learned about their body parts and the difference between a boy and girl. They also learned about good touches and bad touches when they were pre school age

My daughter is 11 going on 12
so we talk openly about boys and bras etc. Communicatingwith her about her physical changes. I am content knowing she is aware of her body and how to protect it.

We don't just talk about sex. I also am open with her about drugs and alcohol.

Good for you. You are teaching her the skills she needs to keep herself safe and free from harm.

Back