Bill: No snacks for food stamp users

This is the original posted statement to which I've been referring to:

"...the teacher is going to check out each kids lunch and see who had a healthy snack and who has an unhealthy snack! The kids that have a healthy snack with get a sticker!"

You are a genius at misconstruction.

Perhaps if we look at this from another angle... There is a public cost associated with bad eating habits. Especially with the uninsured. Edit: as DC's post above said... :)

Are you comfortable with your tax dollars providing medical services to someone that did not have good eating habits and as a consequence ended up in the hospital?

If this is unacceptable to you, would you want all children to receive proper health and nutrition information in school?

How can we know that the children and their parents are getting the message if we do not review what kids are eating at lunch?

Wow :shock:

I have no problem with snacks for food stamp users. Not a whit.

Especially if they're the healthy kind but I see no reason why a kid couldn't eat something that isn't good for you every other week either. It's much easier to be happy with your diet if you have certain not so good for you foods once in a while.

Everyday children are not getting the nutrition they need to sustain their life. Parents are arrested, put in jail and still there are children dying from malnutrition right here in America. By your argument we should just ignore that because parents have a right to decide what their kids will eat. .

No, that isn't what would happen by my argument. I said more than once that *probable cause* has to happen first. the scenarios you describe are:
1. over exaggerated, and the causes are not poor education.

When this happens it is not because parents do not know better, it is because they are abusive, selfish, and usually mentally ill or addicts. their substandard care is obvious in many ways, and social services has the legal right to step in early because there is *cause.*
You are advocating not waiting for cause, but treating every parent as a potential perpetrator of criminal negligence.

It would not be fair to just focus on one kid or a group of kids because of some predefined judgement about them. No. All kids.

Of course it would be fair. It's the only thing that IS fair and constitutional- it's called treating people as though they are innocent, unless you can prove otherwise.
It would not be fair to treat all families like idiots who do not know an apple from a twinkie just because some parents prefer their drugs to feeding their kids. It would not be fair to pull you over for speeding even though you are not speeding just because somebody thinks that you might, after all, many people do.

We do have a vested interest in the success of your kids as well. I would not hesitate to report you or your kids if I saw something that was a danger to them or other people.

Do you see the difference between reporting a suspected criminal or threatening act, and treating *every* parent like a suspected criminal or neglectful creep?
You are talking about having probable cause here. I have already said I have no trouble with acting on probable cause.

There is a reason there is a food stamp program, it's for the government to help improve the nutrition of our children. If you don't need this program then great! I know parents that give their kids McDonalds nuggets, fries, and soda nearly every day. *Is this healthy? No. Is there anything i can do about it?

I know parents like this, too. They are on food stamps, oddly enough. I do something about it when I can. I have the kids over and feed them healthy foods. I talk about good nutrition.

No. But at the very least, let's make sure they have a chance for a healthy lunch every school day. But according to your logic that would be wrong. I'm sorry, if stepping on your toes is what it takes to help our kids get better nutrition then I have no problem doing that.

You aren't stepping on my toes. You are voicing an opinion with which I (and the Constitution) disagree- sometimes. Other times, you are arguing with things I haven't said. Children already have a chance for a healthy school lunch every single school day (and breakfast, too). Schools serve them, or rather, schools serve something that passes for healthy. I don't consider them healthy, but that's another issue.
I did not say children should not have a chance at a healthy school lunch. I said that it is not acceptable for school officials to rummage through the lunch a kid's mom sends to school with him. It's not. That is not somehow preventing that child from having a healthy lunch, since the school provides them.
School officials rummaging through school lunches sent from home will not help kids get better nutrition.

So get your head out of your butt and see that this is bigger than you and your fragile little ego.

That was charming and rational, not. Why must you handle disagreement with such hostility and name-calling?

Everyday children are not getting the nutrition they need to sustain their life. Parents are arrested, put in jail and still there are children dying from malnutrition right here in America. By your argument we should just ignore that because parents have a right to decide what their kids will eat. Yes this is extreme, but if you only look at one small part then you are missing the bigger picture. I would love to agree with you 100 percent. But the simple reality is that too many children every day are not getting the basic nutrition they need. If this were not the case then I would back off and agree with you.

We are talking about all children, not just your children. It would not be fair to just focus on one kid or a group of kids because of some predefined judgement about them. No. All kids. We do have a vested interest in the success of your kids as well. I would not hesitate to report you or your kids if I saw something that was a danger to them or other people. There is a reason there is a food stamp program, it's for the government to help improve the nutrition of our children. If you don't need this program then great! I know parents that give their kids McDonalds nuggets, fries, and soda nearly every day. *Is this healthy? No. Is there anything i can do about it? No. But at the very least, let's make sure they have a chance for a healthy lunch every school day. But according to your logic that would be wrong. I'm sorry, if stepping on your toes is what it takes to help our kids get better nutrition then I have no problem doing that.

So get your head out of your butt and see that this is bigger than you and your fragile little ego.

Is the plan to put them in cute little military uniforms too?

I can only post from the view of an Italian family, but portion sizes were not smaller in the 60's and 70's when I grew up. In fact, the large four course meals we had back then was really an American phenomenon spurred by grandparents who lived through The(first) Great Depression. And, there was plenty of junk food in the 70's too.

Truthfully, I'm not against cutting out junk food for anyone because I personally don't think it is good for them. However, such a move by the government is shooting itself in the foot. Junk food is much less expensive than healthy food. Trust me, there is no way someone can eat a, "balanced" healthy diet and monetarily compete with someone eating junk food. Even if you grew your own fruits and vegetables(if you had the resources), taking into account time and effort, it doesn't work out to being cheaper.

This is a misguided law that wants to put, "what's right" out there before we have a viable solution. At the same time, it is holding up much more important legislation.

I think, if the goal is to get people off junk food, the correct solution is to offer incentive for those who use the money for healthy food. At the end of the year, people can submit a grocery bill to get a deduction for healthy eating. It's not a perfect solution, but it is an idea.

Taxing for social correction isn't a reliable long term source of government income, because once people do change their social behavior the income dries up, forcing government to cut services or raise taxes.

I can only post from the view of an Italian family, but portion sizes were not smaller in the 60's and 70's when I grew up. In fact, the large four course meals we had back then was really an American phenomenon spurred by grandparents who lived through The(first) Great Depression. And, there was plenty of junk food in the 70's too.

Truthfully, I'm not against cutting out junk food for anyone because I personally don't think it is good for them. However, such a move by the government is shooting itself in the foot. Junk food is much less expensive than healthy food. Trust me, there is no way someone can eat a, "balanced" healthy diet and monetarily compete with someone eating junk food. Even if you grew your own fruits and vegetables(if you had the resources), taking into account time and effort, it doesn't work out to being cheaper.

This is a misguided law that wants to put, "what's right" out there before we have a viable solution. At the same time, it is holding up much more important legislation.

I think, if the goal is to get people off junk food, the correct solution is to offer incentive for those who use the money for healthy food. At the end of the year, people can submit a grocery bill to get a deduction for healthy eating. It's not a perfect solution, but it is an idea.

Taxing for social correction isn't a reliable long term source of government income, because once people do change their social behavior the income dries up, forcing government to cut services or raise taxes.

Actually I like this idea better, I want in! With my grocery bill I'd get quite a bit back in tax returns. And it gives people an incentive, a prize at the end of the year if they done well.

When I was JR high school or high school ,the students had protest over the meals we where getting. A lot kids refused to buy the lunch for a day as the food was so horrible! Ronald Regan said the kids in schools could have ketchup as their veggie ! ketchup is load with sugar and salt! My daughter serve lunches at her daughter's school and she said the lunches are not every healthy. I know the meals on wheels are really horrible in my state! I had to give my clients MOW and I could not believe some of the crap they got! I would not had given some MOW to a pet rat .

Have to chime in here.

I was in elementary school starting in 1969. We had no zero, zip, zilch, snack time in my school. We got water breaks during recess or PE. At lunch, if you got a school lunch, it was always a hot meal. If you brought your lunch, the teacher would check it over and tell you what would be better for you, but never told you that what mom or dad sent was wrong. This was a small town in Central Florida. When I was 16 we moved to a much bigger city. There, we still had nutritious hot meals or you brought your own lunch. The school also provided breakfast since we were so over crowded we were on split sessions. 11th & 12th grade went to school from 7am to 12 noon and the 9th & 10th graders from 1pm to 6 pm. They have since enlarged the school (triple the size) and have more schools in the area (8 more high schools since I graduated in 1981).

Now, flash forward - my kids were in public school for only a short time, that school, in mid-Missouri, had the hot lunch, salad bar or the Taco bar. If you brought your lunch, the school nurse had to check it for allergens and if you had anything with peanuts or dairy, you had to eat on the stage. Kids with free or reduced lunches sat on one side and the full price lunches and safe home lunches sat on the other.

When I was growing up, there were no issues with obesity. Get to my last 2 years in the big city, and obesity was rampant. Then, in my kids school, obesity was an epidemic starting a=with the Kindergarten class.

Something's wrong with this picture.

That teacher was WAAAY out of line telling kids what was better to eat !
And it was NONE of her DAMN businesswhat parents packed in their kid(s) lunches ! Yes something is very wrong with this picture ! Your school in Florida was wrong in allowing the teachers poke around in kids meals. What if a kid brought some food that a teacher never saw before and told a kid it was not good to eat! We ate bull tongue in my house and a lot of people thought it was GROSS looking. I wonder what some uptight nosy busybody would had said if a kid brought a bull tongue sandwich on Jewish black bread? Boy I would love to have a kid and send them to school with some pickled herring in sour cream and a bull tongue sandwich and see the looks on a nosy busybody ! I hope some kids bring chocolate covered bugs to
school for a snack! The schools and government do NOT belong in our kitchens and looking our shoulders watching what we feed our famliies!! If people think this is a good idea they should move China and let the government take complete control of their kids lives.

Really Caroline? Really?
Miz-Really.jpg

There's surprise for you, you got new Super Nintendo today so please share with DeafTim.

snes.jpg

That teacher was WAAAY out of line telling kids what was better to eat !
And it was NONE of her DAMN businesswhat parents packed in their kid(s) lunches ! Yes something is very wrong with this picture ! Your school in Florida was wrong in allowing the teachers poke around in kids meals. What if a kid brought some food that a teacher never saw before and told a kid it was not good to eat! We ate bull tongue in my house and a lot of people thought it was GROSS looking. I wonder what some uptight nosy busybody would had said if a kid brought a bull tongue sandwich on Jewish black bread? Boy I would love to have a kid and send them to school with some pickled herring in sour cream and a bull tongue sandwich and see the looks on a nosy busybody ! I hope some kids bring chocolate covered bugs to
school for a snack! The schools and government do NOT belong in our kitchens and looking our shoulders watching what we feed our famliies!! If people think this is a good idea they should move China and let the government take complete control of their kids lives.

I think you are totally missing the point of what the discussion is about. It isn't about the government checking each item in a lunchbox! It's about a teacher helping kids connect what they are learning in class (good nutrition) with their behaviors (what they put into their own bodies). Kids put pressure on their parents to buy the kind of things they want. They bug their parents for this sweet or that sweet... why can't the teacher teach them to bug their parents for grapes or oranges instead?

This isn't a giant government conspiracy to raid your kitchen!!!! This is about teaching kids to ask for healthy foods instead of asking for things that are high in salt, sugar, fat, etc.

(And no, I'm not sure the sticker is appropriate, but I totally think using the kids lunches to teach a lesson is AWESOME... the teacher could have the kids hold up foods they think are healthy, and the kids can discuss why the foods are or are not healthy. What a great way to teach kids about nutrition!)

...(And no, I'm not sure the sticker is appropriate, but I totally think using the kids lunches to teach a lesson is AWESOME... the teacher could have the kids hold up foods they think are healthy, and the kids can discuss why the foods are or are not healthy. What a great way to teach kids about nutrition!)
Holding up food items from their own lunches to be critiqued in front of their peers? No, that's not a good idea. In fact, that could be mortifying.

Holding up food items from a basket that the teacher has brought in to demonstrate healthy and unhealthy choices is a better idea. Let the kids make their selections from the basket that the teacher stocked, not one that their parents or themselves did.

Back