Biblical Contradictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
deafdyke said:
Hootster, you rock!!!!!!! I've never understood why believers tout the Bible as the Good News, when it is FILLED with such horrible stuff!!!

haha, thanks. :) I m glad that someone here agrees with me. I cant take credit for the awesome pic though. Found it in another forum. Dammit.

For excellent examples of misinformation and mis-interpretation in the Bible, read:
The Jesus Mysteries
By Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy
and
Jesus and the lost Goddess
By Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy
(in that order)

From Bible Contradictions

Jesus' last words
Matt.27:46,50: "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost."

Luke23:46: "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost."

John19:30: "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."

And all kinds of explanations for the contradictions can be found here....

Contradictions?? Hahaha, I don't think so. Contadictions neans different meanings or different incidents. All the verses is the same incident and each of the witnesses shared what they saw. But all summed up the same messages. Thinking that's not the Good News? Then problem is not knowing what the Good News is. Good News is about what Christ has done and why He has to be crucified and what is the point of the crucifixion. And that's not the end of the story, He rose. Each of the wotness shared the excitements and each has different way of saying but all are the same key witness, Jesus has appeared after He rose from the dead. Jesus done that to bring us Home. That's the Good News, but the world is filled with bad news and filled with self-pride and arrogance, its bec we are human, all of us, nothing but sins Romans 5:8 "While we are yet sinners, Christ died for us." That's a good news and salvation is for ALL mankind, that's the Good News. The tragic news is, not what God did, its what people chooses, is reject His awesome Grace for all mankind.

Cloggy said:
From Bible Contradictions

Jesus' last words
Matt.27:46,50: "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost."

Luke23:46: "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost."

John19:30: "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."

And all kinds of explanations for the contradictions can be found here....
Will you explain why they are different while they did not contradict themselves?

deafdyke said:
Isaiah 3:9
The shew of their countenance doth witness against them; and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it not. Woe unto their soul! for they have rewarded evil unto themselves
The context of this verse was the prophet Isaiah proclaiming to the people of Israel the reasons for God's judgment on them. Their leadership had become weak and corrupt.

This verse shows that the people were not ashamed of their sins. Sin was so widespread and deep that the people no longer felt shame for their sins. They were proud to sin publicly, the same as Sodom did.

Jer 23:14
14 I have seen also in the prophets of Jerusalem an horrible thing: they commit adultery, and walk in lies: they strengthen also the hands of evildoers, that none doth return from his wickedness; they are all of them unto me as Sodom, and the inhabitants thereof as Gomorrah.
Again, God uses the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah as examples of the worst sin communities. He compares the sins of the false prophets as being wicked to a degree, and widespread thru the communty, like it was in those cities.

Ezekiel 1649
Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fullness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.
First, you need to use the entire context for meaning.

Ezekiel 16:49-50
49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. 50 And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good.

You left out an important part of the text.

Yes, Sodom was guilty of pride, material wealth, and too much free time on their hands. These things led further to sins of lack of charity, and haughtiness, and to commit abomination. Pride, materialism, and idle time began the progression (or degression) into the sin of widespread homosexuality in their cities. That sin pattern, combined with the weak leadership (as mentioned in your Isaiah reference), and lack of righteous prophets (as mentioned in your Jeramiah reference), made the environment of Sodom and Gomorrah ripe for shameless public abomination.

(notice no mention of the sin of homosexuality!!!!!!!!!)
The Ezekiel verse mentions the "abomination" that the people committed. They didn't have the English word "homosexual" back then. Also, the readers of the books of the prophets were quite familiar with the sins and judgment of Sodom and Gomorrah, and understood the reference.

"Homosexuality" doesn't need to be in the same sentence every time the word "Sodom" is used in order to prove that God hated that sin.

The word "inhospitality" wasn't in any of the verses that you referenced either, so what's your point?

BTW:

The word "homosexual" was not available at the time the KJV was being translated.

"homosexual (adj.)
1892, in C.G. Chaddock's translation of Krafft-Ebing's 'Psychopathia Sexualis,' from homo-, comb. form of Gk. homos 'same' + Latin-based sexual.
The noun is first recorded 1912 in Eng., 1907 in French. In technical use, either male or female; but in non-technical use almost always male."
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=h&p=10

Reba, there's also huge debate on whether the adominations meant homosexuality per se, OR rape. Yes, I'm aware that they didn't have the word homosexual back then, BUT I ALSO know that there's huge debate over the translation of the Greek......like from what I recall, the Greek word meant more sex slave or stuff like S&M (like KiNkY tReNdY sex) rather then a loving caring relationship between two people!

deafdyke said:
Reba, there's also huge debate on whether the adominations meant homosexuality per se, OR rape. Yes, I'm aware that they didn't have the word homosexual back then, BUT I ALSO know that there's huge debate over the translation of the Greek......like from what I recall, the Greek word meant more sex slave or stuff like S&M (like KiNkY tReNdY sex) rather then a loving caring relationship between two people!
It might be a "huge debate" to you.

The verses from the OT were not in Greek.

According to God and His Word, homosexual sex IS "kinky", and that is a sin.

Really Reba? Then how come MAINLINE Christian deominations are having the debate over whether or not homosexuality is a sin? Episcopalin, and there's even a Christian church that is specificly gay positive (the Metropolition Community Churches) As a matter of fact, I;ve heard that despite the condemations of leaders like Fallwell and Robertson, there are some churches in your deonmination that have MARRIED gays!!!!!
Sorry, but I do know that whatever language the Bible orgionally was in, the translation of the words is up for debate. I'll find a link so you can read more!
Also, bear in mind that JESUS Himself NEVER said anything about homosexuality being a sin!

deafdyke said:
Really Reba? Then how come MAINLINE Christian deominations are having the debate over whether or not homosexuality is a sin?
Because many "mainline Christian" denominations have strayed from Bible doctrines, and have entered into apostasy, that's why.

...there's even a Christian church that is specificly gay positive (the Metropolition Community Churches)
So? There are lots of "churches" established for all kinds of special interests. That doesn't make them right in God's eyes.

... there are some churches in your deonmination that have MARRIED gays!!!!!
My denomination? My church is independent. There have been no "gay marriages" performed here. They are not even legal in my state. What denomination are you talking about?

...Also, bear in mind that JESUS Himself NEVER said anything about homosexuality being a sin!
Also, bear in mind that Jesus Himself NEVER said anything about cancelling the commandment against homosexual acts either.

In Matthew 19, Jesus DID restate God's design for man and woman. Jesus said, "Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female . . . For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?"[/COLOR]

There is no place for homosexuality in God's design for man and woman.

The good news is, Jesus opens His arms wide with hope and redemption for all sinners.

So? There are lots of "churches" established for all kinds of special interests. That doesn't make them right in God's eyes.

Quote:
... there are some churches in your deonmination that have MARRIED gays!!!!!

My denomination? My church is independent. There have been no "gay marriages" performed here. They are not even legal in my state. What denomination are you talking about?
Hey I agree with you.....with the presense of bizarre cults like Westboro Baptist, it's hard to know what God wants. However, bear in mind that the Episcopailons (A MAINLINE deonomination) are very pro-gay in their ministries!
Certainly many churches aren't exactly welcoming of gays....but the presense of a debate clearly indicates that it's not all cut n' dried and black and white as some others might say. God, back in the old days when they were debating about civil rights for blacks or ending slavery, a LOT of people pointed to the Bible as proof that blacks should be destined to draw water and hew wood. It started off as people thinking "Oh God has decreed it people who are against it are just crazy folks"....and then the movement began to gain steam and become mainstream! The same thing will happen with homosexuality!
I know that YOUR church has never performed a gay marriage. However, there are churches in your deonomination (Independant Baptists) which HAVE!! There are churches out there that perform commitment ceremonies for ga couples! Hey, there are (Mormon) churches out there that perform comittment ceremonies for polygamous folks!

Quote:
...Also, bear in mind that JESUS Himself NEVER said anything about homosexuality being a sin!

Also, bear in mind that Jesus Himself NEVER said anything about cancelling the commandment against homosexual acts either.

In Matthew 19, Jesus DID restate God's design for man and woman. Jesus said, "Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female . . . For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?"[/COLOR]

There is no place for homosexuality in God's design for man and woman.

The good news is, Jesus opens His arms wide with hope and redemption for all sinners.
Jesus never said anything about cancelling the commandment against things like not eating pork, shrimp or lobster either!!! He never said that the old Levicticine law was invalid. Also, you don't realize that A LOT of what isin the Bible is and was politically motavated. There's whole writings that didn't make the cut b/c MEN (powerful men at the top) decided that the writing wasn't right. It wasn't God who decided what was gonna be in the Bible...It was MAN!!!!!! How do you know there aren't deeper revalations of Jesus in the Gnostic gospels?

deafdyke said:
...I know that YOUR church has never performed a gay marriage. However, there are churches in your deonomination (Independant Baptists) which HAVE!!
Independent Baptist churches are just that--independent. They are not a denomination. Each church is autonomous, and there is no hierarchy or convention or association. Just to make it clear.

deafdyke said:
Are you more of a non-Christian athetist? I am......I don't believe in the Christian God, which makes me an athiest of sorts, but I ALSO believe in a higher power, and am pretty spirtual!
If you believe in a higher power, you are NOT atheist at all.

deafdyke said:
Hootster, you rock!!!!!!! I've never understood why believers tout the Bible as the Good News, when it is FILLED with such horrible stuff!!!

Not all Christians are that way. The ones who are that way make me wanna go :pissed: !

Now, many of you may be surprised that I, a Catholic, think this way, but I believe the New Testament was just a PR job for Jesus. Sure, I believe he died for our sins, but I think a lot of it is overglorified. Remember, the Gospels were written DECADES after Jesus Christ died.

There were several different Gospels written, and some of them even said Jesus got married. How did they pick the 4 that are now in the Bible?

The point of the Bible was to provide guidance, not historical records.

By the way, most of the Bible super-fanatics are Protestants who are too lazy to THINK. I doubt many of them even READ the Bible.

CyberRed said:
Why you accuse/blame God what He did to those people ?

Huh? I only say what I know from the bible... If it´s not true... but why the bible says this... :dunno:

Look : about the gun -- Are you STILL blamin' God for the gun killin' people ? I think not. It's people who kill other people when their hand touch the gun, NOT the gun itself doin' it without people's hands.
It is people's CHOICE to go for it or NOT to go for it. They chose it, NOT God.
Same thing with Lot's wife when God WARNED her NOT to look back, otherwise she will turn into a pillar of salt. Well, guess what ? She choses to DISOBEYING God by TURNIN' her own head and look at the city. Who told her to LOOK at the city ? NOT God - but, herself. She choses to follow HER OWN WAY to turn around and LOOK. It's the same thing when someone TOUCH the gun and shoot. She had her own 2 eyes and she was LUSTED to turn around -- all of sudden she became a pillar of salt.

If you shot to kill the people then you are murder!
If the God destory Sod'om and the nearby of Gomor'rah to kill bad people then he is murder... This is a simple...
Lot´s wife have to die because of disobey... huh? It make no sense to me.

That´s why I said before that I don´t believe the bible because I know God is not murder and never do that to hurt people. It´s author of the bible who writes, not God.

Same thing, if a person refused what a cop told her/him to do - if, a person disobey a cop, what do you think a cop would do ? Hmm ? A cop will slap a handcuff on that person, right ? A cop isn't about playin' head game when a person is bein' told to listen ( obey ).

The people pay penalty fine for disobey the law. The people has no reason to die because of that disobey... Huh?

I pay the penalty fine for disobey the traffic law, not have to die over that "disobey"... :roll:

gnulinuxman said:
If you believe in a higher power, you are NOT atheist at all.

Not all higher powers are gods. Atheism is having no beliefs in gods. That does not mean they can't believe in things like ying and yang. I think a more general word that could be used to cover all higher powers would be skepticism.

gnulinuxman said:
Now, many of you may be surprised that I, a Catholic, think this way, but I believe the New Testament was just a PR job for Jesus. Sure, I believe he died for our sins, but I think a lot of it is overglorified. Remember, the Gospels were written DECADES after Jesus Christ died.

There were several different Gospels written, and some of them even said Jesus got married. How did they pick the 4 that are now in the Bible?

The point of the Bible was to provide guidance, not historical records.

By the way, most of the Bible super-fanatics are Protestants who are too lazy to THINK. I doubt many of them even READ the Bible.
Actually, the myth of Jesus allready existed centuries before. They are guidence for the way to live, and they were used by the pagans long before Christ was thought of.
(See here. )

As with many religions, the literalists made the myths the truth. Instead of a guidence, it became law. And in 300 CE they mad it even more official by selecting 4 of the convenient ones.

RedFox said:
Not all higher powers are gods. Atheism is having no beliefs in gods. That does not mean they can't believe in things like ying and yang. I think a more general word that could be used to cover all higher powers would be skepticism.
But skepticism can refer to any kind of critical thinking.

Cloggy said:
Actually, the myth of Jesus allready existed centuries before. They are guidence for the way to live, and they were used by the pagans long before Christ was thought of.
(See here. )

As with many religions, the literalists made the myths the truth. Instead of a guidence, it became law. And in 300 CE they mad it even more official by selecting 4 of the convenient ones.

Actually, this is true. Also, many other christian practices and ideas were borrowed from the ancient pagans. ie- the act of prayer (get on knees and pray), Virgin Mary, baptism, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back