Best Career Choices for Deaf

SimplyMints

Reaction score
What do you think would be your best career choice? Feel free to elaborate if you wish.

You might consider things like minimal need for "special accomodations," what you might consider appropriate social needs met, attainability, good hours, and of course, comfortable income.

There's no jobs that are more "suitable" for deaf. Deaf can do just ALMOST ANYTHING as long as they are PROVEN in their skills. They will pay a damn good income for your skill and yes they will kiss your ass.

Okay, this is the straw that broke the cammel's back for me, and that's why I finally decided to make this thread at last. This is from the course description of Vet Tech AAAS at college:

Physical Requirements:
Working as a veterinary technician is physically demanding. Veterinary technicians must be able to walk and stand for long periods of time. The ability to reach, bend, climb, and crouch is needed to perform job responsibilities. Other requirements include the ability to lift and carry 50 pounds without assistance, to see, speak (in English), and to hear sufficiently to communicate observations about animals, and to possess arm and hand steadiness — as well as finger dexterity — to operate equipment and work with animals.

I've been trying to find a suitable career choice for a while, and keep running into things like this. I know that if I lived in an established Deaf community or a Deaf world, these problems would not exist. I function just fine without my hearing. My only problem is interacting with people who depend on their hearing, and therefore don't know how to function with somebody who doesn't have it.

I'm sorry. I'm at the end of my rope, and I don't mean to push it onto you people. I was just hoping to make a fun little thread where people can post their ideas about their own career choices.

People will say whatever they want about the certain careers. Heck, I have seen those wordings that they won't discriminate against sex, race, etc, but they don't mention disability.

Whoever wrote that wasn't thinking about true deaf people who don't hear. Do a really good job, and you'll find someone who is willing to work with you. I know it's hard, but try to visualize your ideal working environment while you finish your degree. You're learning sign language, so use that to teach workers to learn a few signs.

I have seen a video of a DEAF doctor who doesn't hear a thing and doesn't speak. He uses sign language. He uses a visual stethoscope.

There's videos at DCMP.org :: Home. That is where I hear about deaf people really succeeding. There's also a deaf lawyer. I don't know if she's oral. Some are and some aren't. I recently saw a video about a Massage Therapist. She's deaf and signs. I didn't hear talking from her. Who needs to talk for a massage?

I know that it can be hard to really want to stay comfortable. Many times, the Vet doctor does the most talking with the pet parent.

I don't think it's like Medical Assistant where you need to hear what people are saying to take notes.

Data Entry or Billing would be great. But most jobs will be if only they let you in the door. It's the getting in that is hard. When I lived in central Missouri, I had a job while wearing HA's. I then lost the lhearing totally, and they still kept me on since what I was doing did not involve telephones or customer relations. We have since moved to Eastern Missouri and I no longer have work since I can't do what I was doing due to HIPPA policies (Privacy Practices). I was a Billing Assistant and did Data Entry for a Counseling Company. I was in Administration and had been there for 5 years.

We have since moved to Eastern Missouri and I no longer have work since I can't do what I was doing due to HIPPA policies (Privacy Practices).

Could you please explain more about HIPPA policies andy why that prevent you from getting a job???

Actually, career choice for a deaf individual should be based on the same things that career choice for a hearing individual should. One should not base their choice on a lack of ability, but on ability, interests, and skills. Lack of hearing can be accommodated for in almost all situations.

Actually, career choice for a deaf individual should be based on the same things that career choice for a hearing individual should. One should not base their choice on a lack of ability, but on ability, interests, and skills. Lack of hearing can be accommodated for in almost all situations.

Hmmm, I can walk, see (with glasses), get along with most animals even when others can't, based on how fast I'm learning to sign, I will probably become very good at signing, I have a great interest in horses, socks, mint, certain insects, pictures, Christmas, and I'm skilled at brushing and styling pony hair and making mints and inventing unique foods in the kitchen, especially if it's my kitchen and nobody's around me bothering me. And I'm highly skilled at shovelling snow off walkways, but that's a wasted skill since it has stopped snowing around here a few years ago. I love being outside, and I don't very much enjoy the smell of bovine excrement.

Well said.

I should actually find somebody who is willing to let me take one of those test things, whatever they're called, that tell you what sort of career I should probably be shooting for. I really can't even decide what I'd be satisfied doing as a career even if I didn't have to consider how I'd convince somebody I'm the one for the job.

What about the ones where it can't be accomidated? Should deaf people cross those jobs off their list right off the bat? Not to sound negative but I would have to imagine there are many such occupations. There are also safety issues to consider.

What about the ones where it can't be accomidated? Should deaf people cross those jobs off their list right off the bat? Not to sound negative but I would have to imagine there are many such occupations. There are also safety issues to consider.

Then that person just have to improve his/her abilities to show that they can meet the requirements. I would.

The best career is Game Art and Design, Oh Yea, you know you want it. Why, people would ask.
You can design people, worlds, monsters, and cultures. I'm sure in our mind, we always think, what would happen if we had that? If you do think like that, you can actually make a new world containing your dreams on it and play it out as if you were in it.

i think web design or graphic design would be a good career... im hoh and do the web design, i dont have to talk to the person or meet them to do it, it can all be done through email and chat systems

The work I was doing involved private confidential information including a client name, address, phone, job, diagnosis, (whether it was mental or drug or alcohol related) and case information. HIPPA policies are policies that protect a client's confidentiality. I had access to a confidential database for billing. Since I moved out of town, I can not do the work at home like my boss wanted. The Board of Directors felt there was too much of a chance of someone else getting the info out of my home. I have a dedicated fax line, all kinds of firewalls on my computer, a paper shredder next to the desk and a fireproof locking file cabinet all in my desk area office in the living room, but it did not satisfy the Board of Directors. It would have been great to be able to do it at home, but I'm not able to and the company did not have an office on this side of the state. I checked in with other companies that do the same thing and they are not hiring, or they need someone who will be able to be an Office Manager and Billing person. Not my cup of tea.

getaway driver.

The goons rob the bank, jump in your car and you FLOOR it. There you are hauling ass 90-110 mph when all of the sudden the cops are onto you. Youre racing through the streets, jumping on the freeways, darting in-and-out through traffic, running red lights, the whole 9 yards. Somewhere along the way you find a 3-second window where the cons hop out and promise to meet you later for your cut of the grand prize. Finally the pigs pull you over and you just pretend to be confused and in sign language you exclaim im deaf and my wifes having a baby yet you cant find the fucking hospital.

:)

getaway driver.

The goons rob the bank, jump in your car and you FLOOR it. There you are hauling ass 90-110 mph when all of the sudden the cops are onto you. Youre racing through the streets, jumping on the freeways, darting in-and-out through traffic, running red lights, the whole 9 yards. Somewhere along the way you find a 3-second window where the cons hop out and promise to meet you later for your cut of the grand prize. Finally the pigs pull you over and you just pretend to be confused and in sign language you exclaim im deaf and my wifes having a baby yet you cant find the fucking hospital.

:laugh2:

Generally speaking, I agree with Jillio. However there ARE some cases where its nearly impossible, especially when it comes to safety issues, as rockdrummer said.

getaway driver.

:rofl:

Back