Best approach to deaf education

stephaniep21

Reaction score
What do you feel is the best approach to deaf education? Voice off deaf school? Oral deaf school, mainstream, a combination or something else I haven't mentioned?
I'm currently student teaching in Adolescent Engilsh Edcation. I'm thinking of going into Deaf Education, however. From what knowledge I have, I feel that whether mainstreamed or put in a deaf school, students should have access to both ASL and English (whether the English is written, spoken, or both should depend on the individual). I also feel that mainstream teachers don't have a lot of experience teaching dhh students. We are taught techniques such as move around the classroom during your lesson. If you have a dhh student, you should NOT move around the room while speaking! Also, there is a strong emphasis on speaking skills in the mainstream environment that mainstream teachers have a difficult time deviating from. Based on your own knowledge and experience, what's the best way to educate dhh students?

Last edited by a moderator:
stephaniep21, I added a disclaimer to your thread because this is a hot topic on AllDeaf that usually leads to debating, and sometimes name calling, flaming and banning.

This warning serves for people interested in participating to know that this thread is controversial.

There have been so many fights on here already, why not just advise her to search the wealth of opinion already here on this exact topic?

I miss the social aspects of this site.

stephaniep21, I added a disclaimer to your thread because this is a hot topic on AllDeaf that usually leads to debating, and sometimes name calling, flaming and banning.

This warning serves for people interested in participating to know that this thread is controversial.

No problem. I knew this was a debatable topic, but I didn't realize that discussions would potentially be quite so heated. Thanks for the heads up.

The bibi approach is the best one. Deaf children get the est of both.

The bibi approach is the best one. Deaf children get the est of both.

There we go! Case closed. Time to close up this thread and enjoy rest of the night!

To the OP: My college has a Deaf Ed major program. We have to take special classes about teaching Deaf children as well as classes about teaching children in general and classes about special education and the core classes like public speaking and the easiest college physics class on the face of the planet. I get to spend my entire sophomore year at a bilingual-bicultural Deaf school, which was part of the reason I picked this college. IMO, bi-bi is best. :P

^ I want a PICTURE not a fucking link.

:pissed:

Geez. I guess I'm out of here.

You weren't linking to the actual picture:

sorry_we_are_closed.jpg

Back