Best approach to deaf education

I like what Jiro's suggestion. :peace:

There have been so many fights on here already, why not just advise her to search the wealth of opinion already here on this exact topic?

I miss the social aspects of this site.

I agree. I wasn't trying to encourage debating at all, it was more of a fair warning enough arguing for all of us, for whomever engages.

Want to help me out with a sticky for this topic? :wave:

I agree. I wasn't trying to encourage debating at all, it was more of a fair warning enough arguing for all of us, for whomever engages.

Want to help me out with a sticky for this topic? :wave:

How would I do that?

How would I do that?

Oh, and it's done. Two threads started in our continuing education department for students of ASL,, or the people who just suddenly developed a burning curiousity about all things deaf. :)

No problem. I knew this was a debatable topic, but I didn't realize that discussions would potentially be quite so heated. Thanks for the heads up.

i appreciate that you take it very conerning what is the best approach for deaf kids. i have not been in deaf school or in the deaf education environment for a long time. I do need to get touch of familiarizing with deaf needs all over again. So that way, i can give better feedback for any teachers or aide teacher or any forms of teaching people to deal with deaf/hoh kids.

I admit that I want to know more about how they teach deaf kids.

from my experience, lots of hearing teachers didn't know how to teach deaf kids while i was taught by a deaf teacher and i understood clearly. Oh yea I had a CODA teacher and it is also good. I dont know why most hearing teachers who want to work with deaf school and dont know how to teach. that's where it hits me hard. maybe that was in 70s 80s 90s?? i hope for 2012 those teachers have more familiar with what deaf/hoh kids' thinking methods.

oh well

What do you feel is the best approach to deaf education? Voice off deaf school? Oral deaf school, mainstream, a combination or something else I haven't mentioned?
I'm currently student teaching in Adolescent Engilsh Edcation. I'm thinking of going into Deaf Education, however. From what knowledge I have, I feel that whether mainstreamed or put in a deaf school, students should have access to both ASL and English (whether the English is written, spoken, or both should depend on the individual). I also feel that mainstream teachers don't have a lot of experience teaching dhh students. We are taught techniques such as move around the classroom during your lesson. If you have a dhh student, you should NOT move around the room while speaking! Also, there is a strong emphasis on speaking skills in the mainstream environment that mainstream teachers have a difficult time deviating from. Based on your own knowledge and experience, what's the best way to educate dhh students?

There is no one best way to teach all deaf children. There are several different approaches thus the goal is to determine which approach best meets the needs of the individual deaf child.

You can certainly move around the classroom while teaching dhh students but as the teacher you should try to look at your students while talking or signing.

Focus on the needs of your students and you will be a successful teacher.

There is no one best way to teach all deaf children. There are several different approaches thus the goal is to determine which approach best meets the needs of the individual deaf child.

You can certainly move around the classroom while teaching dhh students but as the teacher you should try to look at your students while talking or signing.

Focus on the needs of your students and you will be a successful teacher.

Yes, but how do you differentate that from what the parents want or need?How do you differentate from a parent who is still "grieving the loss" of a "healthy normal hearing" kid and who wants their kid to appear as normal as possible? You also cannot deny that auditory-verbalizing a dhh kid (meaning regular school regular classes with minimal accomondations) means something completely different in an inner city, vs. a good suburban school.

Yes, but how do you differentate that from what the parents want or need?How do you differentate from a parent who is still "grieving the loss" of a "healthy normal hearing" kid and who wants their kid to appear as normal as possible? You also cannot deny that auditory-verbalizing a dhh kid (meaning regular school regular classes with minimal accomondations) means something completely different in an inner city, vs. a good suburban school.

We are discussing teaching methods for children and if there is a "best" method for all deaf children. I am of the opinion there is no "best" method but the goal is to determine what is best for each individual child. If you agree or disagree fine but I am not discussing the needs of parents so please do not try to turn this into a discussion on a different topic.

Why do you limit the difference between an inner city school and a "good suburban school" to just dhh children? Are you saying that such a difference in placement has no effect on hearing students or students with other special needs?

We are discussing teaching methods for children and if there is a "best" method for all deaf children. I am of the opinion there is no "best" method but the goal is to determine what is best for each individual child. If you agree or disagree fine but I am not discussing the needs of parents so please do not try to turn this into a discussion on a different topic.

Why do you limit the difference between an inner city school and a "good suburban school" to just dhh children? Are you saying that such a difference in placement has no effect on hearing students or students with other special needs?

Rick, are you suggesting that a school with 253 deaf/hoh students should have 253 different teaching methods?

Rick, are you suggesting that a school with 253 deaf/hoh students should have 253 different teaching methods?

That's what an IEP says by law: this child receives an individualized educational program.

Yes, I know. I'm very much pro Montressori style approach to education.
BUT, you cannot deny that a lot of placement or methodology decisions for kids with special educational needs is based on outdated myths (ie it's STILL the 40's and kids who are solotaire streamed are the bright ones and won't get lumped in with the Resource Room kids, or that oral only is WAY better) or parents who think that trickle down educational theory will work, or parents who are greiving the loss of a "healthy" normal kid, and see oral only and mainstreaming/inclusion as something "healthy and normal"
All the deaf educators (as well as jillo) will tell you they consistantly see parents who are not nessarily child centered, but make decisions about what is "best" on their feelings of grief and their kid being "normal"
And no, that difference is not just limited to dhh kids.....that was just an example. Hell, AG Bell and Auditory Verbalists/pro mainstreamers/inclusionests seem to think that ALL dhh kids have easy access to good suburban schools, and that ALL dhh kids can benifit from a minimal accomondations approach.

Yes, I know. I'm very much pro Montressori style approach to education.
BUT, you cannot deny that a lot of placement or methodology decisions for kids with special educational needs is based on outdated myths (ie it's STILL the 40's and kids who are solotaire streamed are the bright ones and won't get lumped in with the Resource Room kids, or that oral only is WAY better) or parents who think that trickle down educational theory will work, or parents who are greiving the loss of a "healthy" normal kid, and see oral only and mainstreaming/inclusion as something "healthy and normal"
All the deaf educators (as well as jillo) will tell you they consistantly see parents who are not nessarily child centered, but make decisions about what is "best" on their feelings of grief and their kid being "normal"
And no, that difference is not just limited to dhh kids.....that was just an example. Hell, AG Bell and Auditory Verbalists/pro mainstreamers/inclusionests seem to think that ALL dhh kids have easy access to good suburban schools, and that ALL dhh kids can benifit from a minimal accomondations approach.

Yes, I can and do deny the premise of your unsubstantiated statements.

"All the deaf educators (as well as jillio)". Well I guess if jillio says its so then that's it, no need for further discussion. However, I would like a little bit more proof than an opinion from a woman who only knows less than 25 people with implants and has never met a successfully implanted child. Yes there are such parents but my experience as well as that of my wife who actually is a teacher and has a Masters in Spec Ed, that such parents are the exception and not the norm. Just look at your parents here, especially those who have chosen cis for their kids, none of them fit your model.

Funny how you seem to know what all "AG Bell and Auditory Verbalists/pro mainstreamers/inclusionests seem to think". I for one do not but then again how can one argue with a person who thinks tossing a hackey sack around a classroom is a suitable replacement for a CART reporter.

Nope. Are you?

I'm not either, but apparently others are saying it. I admit, I'm not an expert on childhood education so I deferr to others but I do listen closely as I want to understand. Prior to joining AD, I did not even know what an IEP was. Now I have a good understanding of it. It just seems to me a waste of resources to use a different teaching method with each and every student in a classroom. Growing up my classes were 20 to 30 students per teacher. Not much time for 1 on 1 teaching.

I assume that when people here say and individualized (IEP) for each deaf student. What they are really saying is that each student is individually evaluated and placed in the most appropriate educational setting. Thus all of the students getting one particular teaching method are grouped per the IEP. So we may actually be talking about 2 to 100 different methods or settings with some receiving one on one and some in big class rooms.

Back