ASL in the fall...accomodations?

lovezebras

Reaction score
Did anyone who is hoh or deaf take ASL in college/university? I am taking ASL 1 in the fall but do I really need to be accommodated for anything? I have an student plan for my other classes but I guess I would not need one for this class since its voice off? or am I wrong? lol

Yes. No I didn't need accomodations. It's really an easy A for most deaf people! :lol:

Did anyone who is hoh or deaf take ASL in college/university? I am taking ASL 1 in the fall but do I really need to be accommodated for anything? I have an student plan for my other classes but I guess I would not need one for this class since its voice off? or am I wrong? lol

Some of my deaf students took ASL to fulfill their language requirements. That was the only class they did not have to have accommodation.

nice! I'm excited...finally a class where I don't have to rely on listening! thanks girls:)

If it's a 100% voice-off class, 100% of the time, you won't need a terp. You might want to confirm that with the instructor ahead of time.

If it's a 100% voice-off class, 100% of the time, you won't need a terp. You might want to confirm that with the instructor ahead of time.

Right. I was assuming it would be, since the classes at college level that I have experience with were. Thanks for clarifying.

Wirelessly posted

You will need to ask the professor about her teaching strategies and expectations...

I do believe it's a 100% voice off class that's what it states in the course overview on the website but every teacher is diff so they may approach that differently as well.

My ASL 1 class was taught by a hearing person. It was "voice off" but not really. There was talking before and after the class with the teacher. Normally, that wouldn't be a big deal, but many students use this opportunity to ask the teacher "What did this sign mean?". Also, a few of hearing people get frustrated and speak out the word to verify if that is really what the teacher is signing. The teacher tries to tell the person by signing "no, voice off only." but at the same time, she nods yes to verify. It's like... stop that, you are encouraging them to speak!!! If it were me, I would ask them to fingerspell.

My ASL 2 class was more so voice off because the teacher was deaf himself. There was still before and after class chit chat, but, at least, asking or talking to the teacher outside of class still required signing.

That probably holds true for all ASL classes taught by either Deaf or hearing instructors. Personally, I think the hearing instructors need to follow the lead of the Deaf instructors.

I have met several hearing people who took ASL classes. to be honest, based on my experience that i met those people who signs better when they had Deaf teachers while those people who signs ok when they had hearing teachers. I am not lying! That's where I am puzzled as to why. Until someone mentioned, some hearing teachers have no patience then spill it out the loudest sound what did the sign mean. ahhhh I think I know why now. I know It is not always the case. but i found it interesting!

I have met several hearing people who took ASL classes. to be honest, based on my experience that i met those people who signs better when they had Deaf teachers while those people who signs ok when they had hearing teachers. I am not lying! That's where I am puzzled as to why. Until someone mentioned, some hearing teachers have no patience then spill it out the loudest sound what did the sign mean. ahhhh I think I know why now. I know It is not always the case. but i found it interesting!

I agree with that completely. Although I will have to say that I know of one CODA whose students were very good signers...but she was a native signer from 2 Deaf parents and she conducted her class just the way a Deaf instructor would.

I observed her giving a test once, and she freaked me out because she would fingerspell words with both hands at the same time so people on both sides of the class could see her hand easily! I have enough trouble fingerspelling with one hand!:giggle:

I thought of something else.

Even if the class is 100% voice off, be sure that the disabilities office and instructor know that if a hearing non-signer comes to make an announcement to the class, you will need an interpreter or other accommodations.

It does happen. Public safety, visiting accreditation committee, media resources rep, other administrative people do come to the classrooms to make announcements. If it's a scheduled visit, accommodations should be provided. Obviously, if it's an emergency, that's a different situation.

Students are also entitled to accommodations when they go to the book store, the library, financial aid office, job fairs, field trips, and public safety. It's up to the student to decide whether or not those accommodations are necessary, and the student should be reasonable about allowing enough advance notice.

I'm taking ASL 1 (we call 101 in Canada) this fall and I'm very nervous. What I love about the course though is that everything will be silent so I can fully immerge in the deaf culture. It makes me happy and nervous at the same time. What if I unpurposedly do something that is innapropriate in deaf culture? I would feel so ashamed!

I'm thinking of volunteering again to teach ASL in the University YMCA. It will be 100% voice off and about half the class will drop out by the end. :giggle:

yes I experience class on research university of siast,

deaf interpeter is full 100 % teach people learn how access communication

if suppose your hires on interpeter plus on professional :D

Impressive clever on skills level on certifiable quality team best skills role professional! I think so suggest to recommend skills lots of development to become improve!

Back