Ask the seller the cost???

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
Let's say:

1. I want to buy a car with a bad master cylinder. I want to know how much it would cost to fix the master cylinder. I wonder if it's proper for a buyer to ask the seller?? I kind of thinks it is wrong because it will be me pocketing the cost to fix master cylinder not the seller. I should research and find the price myself.

2. I want to buy a piano. It needs to be tuned up. I want to know how much it would cost. I would make calls to piano shops or my friends. I would not ask the seller.

3. I want to buy a bicycle. I want to know how much it may cost to fix a bent derailleur on a bike. I would ask my friend who is a bike mechanic or research and find out. I would not ask the seller. It's me that should be finding the cost myself.

What are your thoughts??

I would ask a mechanic so you know your getting the correct estimate. Then you can bargain with the seller and say "I know it will cost me $$ to fix this, so lets deduct that from the sell price."

Is that the kind of answer your looking for?

Yeah, that is the general idea.

I just wonder why a lot of buyers ask sellers on those prices and is it proper? Should a person ask seller those questions??

I think it's a bad idea to ask the seller, because maybe the seller will lie and say "oh it's really cheap to fix that"...

Then, after you buy the product, maybe you will find out it's really expensive to fix it.

Should a person ask a seller these questions?

No. It doesn't make sense. I wouldn't because I wouldn't trust the seller. He would downplay the cost.

CAN a person ask a seller these questions?

Yes. Freedom of speech, right?

Edit: As a seller, how you answer those questions depends on your methods as a seller and your character.

Some would give a lower cost to make it more appealing.

Some would say "I'm sorry I cannot answer that question."

Some would be honest and give the correct price.

Some would give a phone number to a mechanic as a recommendation.

And so on.

Yeah, that is the general idea.

I just wonder why a lot of buyers ask sellers on those prices and is it proper? Should a person ask seller those questions??
It's not a matter of propriety, it's a matter of smart shopping. It's best to get cost estimates from the people who actually do the work than from people who are trying to get the most profit from selling the item. It's OK for the potential buyer to ask the seller about repair costs but the buyer shouldn't expect to get the most accurate answer.

Like hellos245 posted, get your estimates elsewhere and use those for a bargaining tool. You can also use the estimates as a factor in determining how much total you're willing to spend for the item.

I realize that we may have advantages as buyers. Let's say I get a quote of $200 to fix master cylinder. I ask the seller on cost. The seller says $300. So maybe I'll be able to get $300 off on the purchase, then I've $100 of free money.

I agree with you. It is your responsibility to find out about that cost. While there are honest people that sell things, that person is only looking out for his interest not yours.

Let's say:

1. I want to buy a car with a bad master cylinder. I want to know how much it would cost to fix the master cylinder. I wonder if it's proper for a buyer to ask the seller?? I kind of thinks it is wrong because it will be me pocketing the cost to fix master cylinder not the seller. I should research and find the price myself.

2. I want to buy a piano. It needs to be tuned up. I want to know how much it would cost. I would make calls to piano shops or my friends. I would not ask the seller.

3. I want to buy a bicycle. I want to know how much it may cost to fix a bent derailleur on a bike. I would ask my friend who is a bike mechanic or research and find out. I would not ask the seller. It's me that should be finding the cost myself.

What are your thoughts??

Don't walk into these situations blindly. Do some research first.
Also, buy a master cylinder and install it yourself. I did that a few weeks ago, and it was easy as pie. The master cylinder cost me under $50.

Don't walk into these situations blindly. Do some research first.
Also, buy a master cylinder and install it yourself. I did that a few weeks ago, and it was easy as pie. The master cylinder cost me under $50.

Pie is easy?

Watching too much American Pie?

Okay okay.... for those who never saw American Pie..... SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Here is a quote:
Jim: Guys, uh, what exactly does third base feel like?
Kevin: You want to take this one?
Chris "Oz" Ostreicher: Like warm apple pie.

Then Jim saw that there was a warm apple pie in his kitchen and um..... did the deed with it. (His father caught him).

!! END OF SPOILER !!!

Now.... you see what I mean by my joke "Pie is easy?"

A good auto mechanic would tell you they can't give a cost until they see the car. There could be other things wrong with the car.

A good auto mechanic would tell you they can't give a cost until they see the car. There could be other things wrong with the car.

Right! Always have a good mechanic check out the car before you buy it. If they won't let you do that, then get the heck away.

The last time I sold a car the person I sold it to took it to her mechanic for a review. She then brought it back to me and paid my asking price with a smile on her face. She and I both knew she was getting a good deal. Plus I more than doubled what my dealer would give me on a trade in. I was so happy to be rid of that car!!!

Back