Armed Forces for the Deaf?

To be honest, I don't know the jacks or knowledge of US military. Second, They are living in Miami Florida but working or used to for Navy in North Carolina or I must forgot which state. I met them in the bus when stopping at bus stops and they do wear uniforms like popeye. One of them is full deaf and his hearing father was also a navy and other is hard of hearing and do also speaking in sign language....
Well, there are no Navy bases in North Carolina or Miami.

US Navy sailors don't wear uniforms like Popeye.

If they used sign language for communication, how would they communicate with their shipmates? There are no ADA accommodations in the military.

Well, there are no Navy bases in North Carolina or Miami.

US Navy sailors don't wear uniforms like Popeye.

If they used sign language for communication, how would they communicate with their shipmates? There are no ADA accommodations in the military.
i only met them like 5 minutes and never seen them again. By the way, how can I commiucate with my classmates and teachers? Write a note. There are no Ada accommodations in the private college. Thanks god I graduated with highest honor roll and got as degree in computer network.

Yup. One brother one a Green Beret (and another a Marine) during the Vietnam war. Their hearing senses heightened during combat. I have no idea what they are talking about. :)
Yep. They had to be able to hear every footstep, every leaf rustle, twig snap, breath, etc. They also had to be able to clearly hear radio transmissions.

i only met them like 5 minutes and never seen them again. By the way, how can I commiucate with my classmates and teachers? Write a note. There are no Ada accommodations in the private college. Thanks god I graduated with highest honor roll and got as degree in computer network.
Sorry, military life isn't like a classroom.

Deaf can't join the military, but a person who loses his hearing while in the military will often be kept in the military to perform behind the desk jobs.

There are groups of deaf communities fighting for their day in the military, but thats another story.

Here is a proof. Go to this site; deaf in the military

Deaf people who have hearing loss before entering the military WILL be DENIED. Those soldiers who lost their hearing during serving in military may stay in military but will be removed from combat positions. Deaf people can join US Air Force Auxiliary as known as Civil Air Patrol, US Naval Sea Cadet Corp, or US Army Cadet Corp. Those programs will not mean that you are actually in military or go to war. You can join as a cadet, officer, or volunteer. It's pretty cool programs. It allow you to know what it is like in military. Also deaf high school and colleges students can join JROTC and ROTC. Last thing, if USA need more soldiers, deaf men will NOT be drafted. Military Medical have strict rule that people to meet their requirements in order to join. I hope this will answer some of your questions or understood why deaf can't join. Take care.

I'm sorry but deaf people can't enlist in the U.S. military.

Some military people who lose their hearing while in the service can stay in with waivers and restrictions.

I know so many veteran who lost their hearing (I guess from the war), do they get kicked out'?

P.S.- I forget to add something. There are many reasons why deaf can't join any US Armed Forces. How can you hear the gunfire? Enemy walking behind you? Your teammate yelling for help? Commands from squad leader? Soldiers talking on radio? They will not have time to put their weapons down and sign to you or write down on paper to you while in combat. That doesn't mean that military don't like deaf people. We know that so many deaf people wanted to join the military to serve, protect and die for their country. I am sure the US military will thank you all for your interests and supports in military but deaf have no place in military. There are many ways that you all can serve for your country here in United States of America. Thanks for understanding. Take care.

P.S.- I forget to add something. There are many reasons why deaf can't join any US Armed Forces. How can you hear the gunfire? Enemy walking behind you? Your teammate yelling for help? Commands from squad leader? Soldiers talking on radio? They will not have time to put their weapons down and sign to you or write down on paper to you while in combat. That doesn't mean that military don't like deaf people. We know that so many deaf people wanted to join the military to serve, protect and die for their country. I am sure the US military will thank you all for your interests and supports in military but deaf have no place in military. There are many ways that you all can serve for your country here in United States of America. Thanks for understanding. Take care.

it doesn't have to be combat-related.

Okay... what a condescending tone there... Might wanna read up on other countries on how they deal with equality.

Two Additional Physical Profiles in the IDF
A Soldier's Motivation to Succeed

People with health complications such as diabetes are still not allowed to join, I think.

it doesn't have to be combat-related.

Yeah, but military still won't let deaf people to join. Cause if you want to join military, you are required to take medical exams from Military doctor. Deaf people be DQ'ed due to their hearing loss. Also people with history or currently using hearing aids WILL be DQ'ed from military. Even for non-combat positions, all soldiers have to complete BCT (Basic Combt Training) before they can be assigned to their duties.

Okay... what a condescending tone there... Might wanna read up on other countries on how they deal with equality.

Two Additional Physical Profiles in the IDF
A Soldier's Motivation to Succeed

People with health complications such as diabetes are still not allowed to join, I think.

I heard that in few countries they even let deaf join as soldier and goes to combat as well. In my opinion, US Armed Forces should let deaf people to join non-combat positions like some of those soldiers in other countries. But I didn't make those rules about medical requirements in USA. But never know if they will change the requirements in future and allow deaf to join. I believe that may happen one day.

Sorry to say... Reba is right about Deaf people can't enlist in the U.S. military that I know. I am 100% Deaf and used to work for US Army Engineering, Research and Development as student contractor almost 2 years. Had visited several military bases for working on several projects. However, Deaf people can work any military departments as civilians (government employees not soldiers).

Sorry to say... Reba is right about Deaf people can't enlist in the U.S. military that I know. I am 100% Deaf and used to work for US Army Engineering, Research and Development as student contractor almost 2 years. Had visited several military bases for working on several projects. However, Deaf people can work any military departments as civilians (government employees not soldiers).

yep. I got an offer to work for DLA but... I had to kindly decline it because my current salary's twice more than what they offered. Sorry but bills comes first :aw:

I second that. You're right. Deaf people can't enlist in the military because can't hear.

My husband and my dad are military. They told me the same thing that deaf can't enlist in the military. My ex deaf bf wish that he join to Air Force but he can't do that. And other deaf people are complaint on Bush's rejected deaf to join Military.

There seems to be a confusion of terms here.

Deaf people cannot enlist in the military of the USA. They cannot get commissions as officers in the military of the USA.

Deaf people can work as civil servants for Department of Defense agencies.

If you don't believe me, contact a military recruiter and try to sign up.

I served 24 years in the Navy and Naval Reserve.

I don't think Bush was responsible for this, It's been like that for a long time. It's Obama's military now.

That sums it up. A rather harsh bit of reality there. And, no, it wasn't condescending at all. It's a fact that the ability to hear is crucial, according to them, in warfare. It's a matter of survival of not yourself but for your squad, platoon, your soldiers and even your country.

That sums it up. A rather harsh bit of reality there. And, no, it wasn't condescending at all. It's a fact that the ability to hear is crucial, according to them, in warfare. It's a matter of survival of not yourself but for your squad, platoon, your soldiers and even your country.

Stem cells will soon change all this. Even the anti stem cell crowd should appreciate the courage a deaf soldier has in wanting to be hearing and serving his country. He won't care about the tiny risks of stem cells because he's risking his life for his country.

Stem cells will soon change all this. Even the anti stem cell crowd should appreciate the courage a deaf soldier has in wanting to be hearing and serving his country. He won't care about the tiny risks of stem cells because he's risking his life for his country.

soon? try another life :)

Back