argument with my ignorant nursing instructor!

HelloNurse, are you deaf/hoh yourself? if so, does the lecturer know? I'd be all 'BUT WHAT ABOUT ME THEN?' if I had guts.

If I was hospitalised or very ill, I doubt I'd want to be writing. Can't read most Drs handwriting anyway! I don't sign but I'd like to learn when I have the money for classes. I can just lipread? What do I wear these hearing aids for then??

I think you're right to have stood up to her, but I'd keep a low profile if she has a reputation.

i am hearing. just have an interest in ASL and a lot of Deaf/HOH friends... im sure if i were actually Deaf/HOH she would humored me and/or just kept her comments to herself.

HelloNurse, I like your attitude. Why don't you work at University of Michigan Hospital and Clinics. They normally have about 3-5 deaf patients everyday.

True I believe it I notice it pretty sound! I believe serious! judgement to nurse proper! I am figure :hmm:

Travis " HelloNurse" lives in Pennsylvania which is some distance from the University of Michigan clinic.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Some people need to learn a LOT!! Maybe you could teach her but tread carefully!

I know, that if I ended up in hospital, I would need a sign interpreter so I wouldn't be focused enough to lipread. My mum currently goes to hospital appointments with me because I cannot understand a thing, so she speaks back to me what was said.

When I became bilaterally deaf in 2006. I requested everyone write on the pad. I informed them upfront I was DEAF.Seemed to worked.

When I became bilaterally deaf in 2006. I requested everyone write on the pad. I informed them upfront I was DEAF.Seemed to worked.
That worked for you but it doesn't work for everyone.

Reba: that advice came from the Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto in dealing with your Hearing loss-be upfront and Don't bluff.

Reba: that advice came from the Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto in dealing with your Hearing loss-be upfront and Don't bluff.
I'll be upfront--not all deaf people can communicate by note writing, especially in a medical setting.

just because someone doesnt feel comfortable communicating on a pad and paper, doesnt mean they arent up front about being deaf. they arent trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes by requesting an interpreter. :roll:

I assume we must interact with the world even if we are deaf/Deaf. Not all deaf persons know/use ASL re interpreters. Of course,requesting one does indicate one is Deaf/deaf.

No wonder this nurse did not see many deaf people. I mean, as a deaf person, would I want to see this nurse? If the first deaf customer had a good rapport, then the nurse would have gotten more. I know because I sell bikes. So obviously, that nurse knows nothing about deaf people.

I assume we must interact with the world even if we are deaf/Deaf. Not all deaf persons know/use ASL re interpreters. Of course,requesting one does indicate one is Deaf/deaf.

Nobody was indicating that all deaf people would need/want ASL. Just that they should have access to it if they do want it.

Wonderful! ..Nursing is a very rewarding profession! You are placed in a position to educate patients and families. I am a nurse. I meet a multitude of different people daily. Fortunately, my mentor in her ways taught me the power of open ended questions that encourage self reflection. So with someone like your instructor maybe demonstrate your nursing skills, educate her and the class. She may appreciate your contribution. Also maybe even earn respect as a student with all the markings of a great nurse..Sometimes it's necessary to be authoritative and direct, it's about balance. Seeing how you are already advocating for patients, you will definitely do well!

Last edited:
This is a very interesting thread; and one that is close to my heart.

Definitely keep on the instructor's good side. Just do what you have to do and what they expect so that you can get through to graduation. It's best to not make waves.

Definitely educate anyone and everyone you can; students, instructors, people you work with, etc. Especially educate them that being deaf is not a disability but a different ability.

I am a nurse. I am also HOH. When I assess my patients for the first time, I make sure to make a note of any special requirements they have; eyeglasses, hearing aids, etc. For my HOH patients, I put in a note reminding other care givers that the patient is HOH and to be sure to get their attention before speaking to them, make sure they can see your face and lips, and when speaking to them put yourself on the same plane and reduce your distance. Hearing people don't understand how to communicate with folks who are deaf or hard of hearing. They don't understand that it doesn't help to speak louder or slower. They need to be educated.

Remember, nurses are educators. Best of luck to you!

Did you ever notice that they are called the Canadian HEARING Society and not the Canadian DEAF Society? That is not an unimportant notation.

Back