argument with my ignorant nursing instructor!

:shock:WOW now would I be in that 85%

Nope. youre not a senior citizen. :)

There has been a few updates but the last widely number used was 36 million people in america that has hearing loss, 4.5million under 65.

The population on census says 308mil.

Nope. youre not a senior citizen. :)

There has been a few updates but the last widely number used was 36 million people in america that has hearing loss, 4.5million under 65.

The population on census says 308mil.

I'm getting close...

only 4.5 when did they put those numbers out?

Has that nursing instructor never heard of the ADA?

I think that staff is overdue for a mandatory ADA workshop.

I think she should get in touch with RID or a similar agency to help her get some facts straight. There are many problems with what she is doing regarding deaf patients.

This is one of the many reasons I want to be an interpreter. My next door neighbor is a nurse and she says that she'd help me get some work once I have my cert. I told her that I could use the real life experience when I get to the end of my ITP. She said just tell her and she'd put in the word for me. NY is very desperate for Certified qualified ASL interpreters.
Plus where I live there is multiple hospitals, colleges/universities, courthouses/ state agencies and lawyers. I don't think I will want for work LOL

This is one of the many reasons I want to be an interpreter. My next door neighbor is a nurse and she says that she'd help me get some work once I have my cert. I told her that I could use the real life experience when I get to the end of my ITP. She said just tell her and she'd put in the word for me. NY is very desperate for Certified qualified ASL interpreters.
Plus where I live there is multiple hospitals, colleges/universities, courthouses/ state agencies and lawyers. I don't think I will want for work LOL

awesome! yeah my goal is to become an interpreter after earning my nursing degree, then at least there will be one person in the damn hospital that can help out the deafies! :lol:

awesome! yeah my goal is to become an interpreter after earning my nursing degree, then at least there will be one person in the damn hospital that can help out the deafies! :lol:

I am continuing my BA in Early Childhood Ed as a minor while I am in my ITP. So at least I will have a good foundation for educational interpreting. But I am not going to pigeonhole myself but concentrating on one facet of interpreting.

There is always a Spanish interpreter on call at many hospitals, why isn't there an ASL interpreter? That makes no sense to me since the ADA requires a certified ASL interpreter to be there. SMH

Maybe you should educate her by introducing her to a culturally deaf person and boy, she'd go into shock. ;)

Here's the thing, that instructor is teaching multiple future medical professionals that deafness is not a problem and that we have no culture. She further teaches that we have no need of interpretors or any special consideration at all.

Thank you for "calling her out". So happy that at least your class heard a different viewpoint.

It would be interesting had PFH been there though. Ooh, to be a fly on the wall and witness that lesson!

so the other day we were having a lecture on cultural sensitivity in regards to nursing. she asked us to name some specific cultures we may encounter in the workplace. some people said "Hispanic", "African American", etc.. i said "Deaf!", and then my teacher looked at me like i was retarded and preceded to say no no, that is not a culture that is a disability. i read back to her the definition of culture in our book that was something along the lines of "the shared characteristics, beliefs and practices of a certain racial, religious or social group"
then i kind of got annoyed with her and gave her attitude and told her Deaf people do have their own unique culture and maybe she should google it later. haha..

later we were talking about things we can do to help accommodate peoples different cultures, like respecting dietary preferences, knowing whether or not someone prefers direct eye contact, etc.. someone brought up using a translator for spanish speaking patients and the teacher said "very good! that is very important, because we can not depend on family members to translate due to privacy reasons and the fact that they may not know certain medical terminology and might know how to convey it back to the patient, as well as we do not know if they are actually telling them what we want them to say..
she continued and said that we have things called "blue phones" that will connect us with a spanish translator for immediate problems, as well as on call translators...

so, i asked what they have for Deaf people. again, i got the confused look. she said "most Deaf people know how to read lips, so its not really a problem." i told her that was a rude assumption, and that not all Deaf people can or want to read lips, and its very tiring, so even if they can a sick person probably doesnt really have the energy to do it and would really prefer an interpreter.. then she said "well, they can always write" i rolled my eyes and decided i was just going to give up and then someone else raised their hand and said that they worked in the ER and when Deaf patients came in they usually had a friend or family member with them to help interpret.

i was like "isnt that the same thing as the spanish people with family members!?!?!" if you are going to respect their culture and privacy you should do so for every patient that comes through the door! just because there is a greater hispanic population in this area as compared to Deaf, doesnt mean you should give any one culture more of an advantage over the other!!!"

she ended this whole conversation by saying, "well its not much of a problem, we do not even get many Deaf patients. I've never had one."

I thought to myself, "hmm I wonder why. you dont exactly make it an easy process for them.":roll:
--------------
i was pretty enraged by this whole thing, and im pretty sure i am now the weirdo girl who interrupts class to talk about Deaf people.. haha. oh well i think its ridiculous.. have any of you had horrible hospitalization experiences?
You're not going to get anywhere arguing with your ignorant nursing instructor! She has no idea what she is talking about when it to having a deaf patients. I think it would be best to wait till you become a nurse and then tried to educated people about deaf cultural ,and I wish luck doing this!
I think it great that spoke up , but like others said be really careful, you do not want people to think you hard to get along with! I was a health aid and I was very out spoken like you too , and I had to learn to tone it down !
My supervisor called the health aids 'girls' and would call our clients and tell them your 'girl' would be at 10:00 Am . I hated this being called a 'girl' as some clients would treat you like as if you where maid and want to take care of their company too! I told my supervisor that I did not like being called a 'girl' that is made my clients treat us like maids and not health aide. My supervisor was surprise , and she kept oncalling us 'girls'! GRRR

Here's the thing, that instructor is teaching multiple future medical professionals that deafness is not a problem and that we have no culture. She further teaches that we have no need of interpretors or any special consideration at all.

Thank you for "calling her out". So happy that at least your class heard a different viewpoint.

It would be interesting had PFH been there though. Ooh, to be a fly on the wall and witness that lesson!

:gpost: :gpost:

Yeah, I would love to be a fly on the wall and witness the argument between the visiting lecturer and the HelloNurse discussing about different cultures among different countries and also deaf people's Deaf Culture. :cool2: Only sad thing is that they would be talking in oral with no ASL in the nursing classroom. :(

Pls tell your instructor to see me personally. I can invite her to my house for dinner where we will have 3 hearing people (my son, my hubby, my brother'sgirlfriend) all acting deaf.

Then, we can feed her some expensive wine from my hubby's job and proceed to brainwash her into accepting Deaf cultre.

:gpost: :gpost:

Yeah, I would love to be a fly on the wall and witness the argument between the visiting lecturer and the HelloNurse discussing about different cultures among different countries and also deaf people's Deaf Culture. :cool2: Only sad thing is that they would be talking in oral with no ASL in the nursing classroom. :(

actually, the more angry i got, i started signing a little while i was talking. haha.. i dont know if anyone noticed.. i think the Deaf spirit came over me. LOL. i was mostly just signing "deaf people"...

i really hope that at least once during my clinical time in school that i have a chance to care for a Deaf patient so I can show everyone how important it is to respect their culture and MAYBE change some people's views. :aw:

I am continuing my BA in Early Childhood Ed as a minor while I am in my ITP. So at least I will have a good foundation for educational interpreting. But I am not going to pigeonhole myself but concentrating on one facet of interpreting.

There is always a Spanish interpreter on call at many hospitals, why isn't there an ASL interpreter? That makes no sense to me since the ADA requires a certified ASL interpreter to be there. SMH

Thats great! I dont see myself as pigeonholing myself into one kind of interpreting.. i dont really want to make interpreting my main focus. my first passion is nursing and i want to be a nurse, i just think having my interpreting certificate as well will be beneficial, especially when i have Deaf patients, or if there are Deaf patients elsewhere in the hospital, maybe they can just call me down instead of making them write on a piece of paper. and i will know about all the medical terms and better be able to convey them to the patient. ughh, alas i am getting ahead of myself, this will be years from now. lol

Someone like PFH needs to go to the head of the medical school and advocate for educating the staff about Deaf culture and language needs vs. "deafness." Yeah, all the medical people know about "deafness" as a physical condition. They don't know about Deaf people as patients and patient family members.

The advocate should push for workshop training of medical staff about Deaf culture, ADA requirements, and accommodation resources (such as local interpreter agencies, CART providers, VP). The workshop should include some members of the local Deaf community, with a round table Q&A session.

Those are just some suggestions.

One of the interpreter agencies for which I used to work would send a representative to various hospitals and government agencies to explain Deaf culture and ADA requirements. Then, they (of course) would offer their services on a contractual basis with discounts. It was self-serving to the business, I admit, but it did open the doors at these places for acceptance of interpreters, and a quick and easy way for them to contact terps as needed. In some hospitals, the agency also provided remote interpreter setups, and basic medical sign language classes. They also trained their administrative staff to be more proactive about scheduling terps at the same time that they scheduled patient appointments.

If your locality has a chapter of NAD, that might be a good place to start a grassroots movement.

Back