argument with my ignorant nursing instructor!

lol calm down, ya'all. why get all hot and angry if there's hardly any ASL'er in the vicinity?

If the hospital has NO policy procedure on dealing with deaf patients, then it is prudent to bring the issue to hospital administrator.

lol calm down, ya'all. why get all hot and angry if there's hardly any ASL'er in the vicinity?

If the hospital has NO policy procedure on dealing with deaf patients, then it is prudent to bring the issue to hospital administrator.

Because even if only one person with ASL comes into the hospital in an entire year, what if it is a matter of life and death?

You do have a point, though, that we can't just expect everyone to know ASL or the proper way to communicate with a deaf/hoh person, especially if they've never encountered a deaf person. At the start of each semester, I ask my students if they've ever met or talked to a deaf person before. Out of the 150+ students I've taught, I've only had three raise their hand.

That's why I thank Hellonurse for standing up and saying something. Hopefully she gave a little education not just to the supervisor, but to to her classmates.

Wow that is bad but not surprising, Doctors and Nurses usually have poor knowledge about how to commuicated with Deaf people.

wow thanks for the "thanks". haha, but i was really just standing up for something i believe in. i find it really shocking how misunderstood, or unrecognized Deaf culture is..

but its true, not a lot of hearing people have even met a D/deaf/Hoh person before. Before taking my first ASL class, I had only met one Deaf man, very briefly at a Right Aid and he was signing and trying to get directions to get back on the highway. People were really rude to him and i was kind of disgusted by people's attitudes towards him. i ended up just writing back and forth to him on a receipt to help him out. never saw him again or anything, but thats part of the reason i took an interest in ASL..

theres my heartwarming story!! hahaha.

HelloNurse, I like your attitude. Why don't you work at University of Michigan Hospital and Clinics. They normally have about 3-5 deaf patients everyday.

HelloNurse, I like your attitude. Why don't you work at University of Michigan Hospital and Clinics. They normally have about 3-5 deaf patients everyday.

that would be awesome! i would love to work somewhere with a higher deaf population someday! i was actually thinking of working at a residential school for the deaf if a school nurse spot opened up. but there are only 2 that are relatively near me.. hmm well see where the future takes me!:hmm:

I was in a real bad accident, my car was T Boned by a teenager driver! The impact was so hard it knocked both my HA out of my ears. I was
unconscious when got to ER and when I came through the doctor was trying to talk to me , he had no idea I was HOH and I did not realize yet my HA were missing! Your ignorant nursing instructor could had had HOH patents and never had know it! If I had not come through the doctor would had never know I was HOH

I was in a real bad accident, my car was T Boned by a teenager driver! The impact was so hard it knocked both my HA out of my ears. I was
unconscious when got to ER and when I came through the doctor was trying to talk to me , he had no idea I was HOH and I did not realize yet my HA were missing! Your ignorant nursing instructor could had had HOH patents and never had know it! If I had not come through the doctor would had never know I was HOH

you are absolutely right. and patients like that, who are scared, alone, and in severe pain, deserve a proper interpreter and not someone making them lip read or write back and forth on a piece of paper when it comes to making important decisions when it comes to their health!

yeah i am in clinical, and it is pass fail for us too.. ive learned my lesson on staying on instructors good side (i failed clinical once before without putting any patients in danger or doing anything really that warranted a failure.. but thats a whole new conversation.. lol) this teacher is not personally my clinical instructor, just the lecture instructor, but still, i know they all talk. thats why i bit my tongue, i could have made a bigger scene, but i didnt want to jeopardize myself over something she obviously doesnt care about as much as i do.

i suppose ill just try my best to change things when i am a nurse. i plan on getting my masters and bossing stupid people like that around. haha

You know, I thought I sent my response to you as a private message....my computer skills are definitely lacking!!

Anyway, glad you know what I mean. I have also seen a lot of students get slammed by egotistical instructors. They do NOT like to be put on the spot or told they are wrong by "lowly" students. Major power trips some of these women are on. And yes, I said WOMEN. I have NEVER seen this sort of thing with male instructors in my school. Of course, we don't have that many male nursing instructors, but the ones we do have, they are laid back and not at all catty like the female teachers. Not sure why this is, but in my experience, it is so!! I have picked the same rotation for the past two semesters just to be sure I get one of these guys. He's awesome, a great teacher, and no stress. It is nerve wracking as it is in clinical, the last thing that I need is some bitch watching every move I make dying to see me screw up. (of course, not all of the female teachers are that bad - but too many are!)

My first semester, we had a girl...sort of a loud mouth know it all, which was strike one. She had a tongue earring, which she was told to take out, but she didn't, just tried to hide it...strike two. Then, she made a medication mistake...not something I haven't seen other students do, and of course it is serious to make such mistakes, and technically they can be grounds for dismissal from the program. However, I have seen students make such mistakes and be reprimanded, and that was the end of it...but this girl? That mistake was strike 3. Bye Bye. And the instructor was GLEEFUL about it. She was just waiting for her to screw up, waiting patiently, being hyper-vigilant about the student's every move.

So yeah, staying under the radar, keeping one's mouth shut, all very important when you are a student...EVEN when you feel strongly about something. If you feel you MUST speak, think before you do, and say it in the most humble and non-confrontational way possible!! Better safe than sorry. Then later, after you have that degree, let'em have it!!!!!!!!!!! :smash:

that would be awesome! i would love to work somewhere with a higher deaf population someday! i was actually thinking of working at a residential school for the deaf if a school nurse spot opened up. but there are only 2 that are relatively near me.. hmm well see where the future takes me!:hmm:

Not sure where you are in Pennsylvania, but just across the border in Delaware is that Alfred Dupont Hospital in Wilmington. Not positive, but I believe they have services for deaf children. I need to look into these sorts of places myself, as the last thing I want to do is work like a dog on some med surg floor for my entire career. I will let you know if I find out about anything in our general area (I'm in southern NJ, about a half hour, 45 min from Philadelphia)

You might want to check out Delaware School for the Deaf (http://www.christina.k12.de.us/DSPDHH/DSD)

They're building a new campus which is scheduled to open in August.
AUG 2011: New Construction - Delaware School for the Deaf - Christina School District

Not sure where you are in Pennsylvania, but just across the border in Delaware is that Alfred Dupont Hospital in Wilmington. Not positive, but I believe they have services for deaf children. I need to look into these sorts of places myself, as the last thing I want to do is work like a dog on some med surg floor for my entire career. I will let you know if I find out about anything in our general area (I'm in southern NJ, about a half hour, 45 min from Philadelphia)

im in eastern pa, but up north a bit, about 20 minutes from phillipsburg, nj if you know where that is.. like central jerseyish? haha.. but i may or may not relocate when i graduate depending on what kind of jobs i can find.

You might want to check out Delaware School for the Deaf (http://www.christina.k12.de.us/DSPDHH/DSD)

They're building a new campus which is scheduled to open in August.
AUG 2011: New Construction - Delaware School for the Deaf - Christina School District

thats a little far for me right now, but i will definitely look into it when i graduate, if i am thinking of moving. Delaware has no sales tax, so thats a plus! haha.

god. it would be great if you copy whoever posted about deaf issue and show the idiot instructor and see what the instructor is saying. Glad you brought it up in fron to people that i bet some of them agree with you. I gave birth to my two babies at the hospital I had wondeful nurses who contacted interpreters for me.

I had a personal interpreter for my two babies when I was in labor. After i gave birth to babies and the personal interpeter went home. I had regular interpreters the next day and so. i missed my personal interpreter that she passed away due to the cervical cancer. She was too young for it. She was there for our wedding as well.

The tutors on my nursing course, in the UK, were obviously better informed than yours. They were quite aware of Deaf culture and my research dissertation subject was about enabling better services, e.g. interpreters, healthcare staff who can sign etc., for Deaf patients.

The only problem I had was that sometimes they forgot to use my FM transmitter again after a break.

As a former nursing student I must agree with Jenniifer, best to keep your head down until you qualify. Lecturers tend not to like students who argue with them, even if the student is obviously right.

you are absolutely right. and patients like that, who are scared, alone, and in severe pain, deserve a proper interpreter and not someone making them lip read or write back and forth on a piece of paper when it comes to making important decisions when it comes to their health!

It hard enough to read lips when you're okay never mind tying to read lips when you're pain ! Hearing people have no idea reading lips is not like reading a book!

HelloNurse, are you deaf/hoh yourself? if so, does the lecturer know? I'd be all 'BUT WHAT ABOUT ME THEN?' if I had guts.

If I was hospitalised or very ill, I doubt I'd want to be writing. Can't read most Drs handwriting anyway! I don't sign but I'd like to learn when I have the money for classes. I can just lipread? What do I wear these hearing aids for then??

I think you're right to have stood up to her, but I'd keep a low profile if she has a reputation.

Sure. Add up all those people: Those that were born deaf, those that became deaf thru accident/sickness, those became old and lose some of hearing. I would bet that the senior citizens take up most of the 10%.

They take up at least 85% of the 10%.

Of course I am focusing on this post. I see numbers! I love numbers!

So... this would mean the deaf people other than old people account for 1.5% of the population? That is... really really small.

Of course I am focusing on this post. I see numbers! I love numbers!

So... this would mean the deaf people other than old people account for 1.5% of the population? That is... really really small.

That is why many people go their whole life with no interaction with a Deaf person.

Back