Are there any cons about CI?

Oceanbreeze said:
Mind if I jump in here?

I can't speak to getting implanted, because, I am hearing. However, I've educated myself alittle bit about CIs, and yes, there's are risks involved. But, there's risks to any surgery. You may get infections. There may be bleeding. You could stop breathing during the procedure. That is why they make you take a physical, and do the lab work they do to ensure you're healthy enough to withstand the surgery.

I don't think it's fair to single out cochlear implantation and demonize it, because the truth is, when you cut into the body, there's a risk. That's why they make sure you know what the heck you are getting into, and they make you sign the consent forms proving that you know what the heck you are getting into.

even tho i myself dont have CI but after reading ur post i knew i had to say that i agree with ur post --

*nodding* well said Ocean gurl! u got a valid point and it IS true that we should know what the hell we would be getting ourselves into even if its CI or any other invasive type surgeries that has risks of infections or whatever it might be -- as long as the person is educated and knows the risks associated with CI surgery he/she can either go for it or not and that would have been entirely the person's sole decision

great post Ocean! :thumb:

*jumps in b ack to topic*

Well.. the cons i can think of is menigits is possible.. however there's a shot.

5 different risks....

-facial nerves damaged, (however its a rare case at my hosiptal it only happen 1 times out of 300 surgeries) (which that guy had disease that can't control his movement and the brain moves his face like shaking) also was told that they use nerve finder.. and when its getting closer the machine beeps.. also as a back-up there's a man watching closely.. if the knife is close to the nerves.. the back-up guy tells him to stop... (not sure if all hosiptal are the same)
-taste will change (is somewhat common.. but it goes away.. but there's a rare chance its permentally)

-CI might not work and need reimplanted.. or it doesn't work for you what u expect.

2 risks.. left.. i kinda forgot :-x

also another con is.. if you need a MRI.. must have a small surgery to remove the magnet inside.. (depend what kind of implant u choose) some implant don't need a small surgery to remove the magnet.

that's all i can think of.. seems like its not a big deal to me..

hope i get one soon :D

Crazymanw00t said:
"CI is excatly like Hilter on our DEAF culture!"
They want deaf people to be able to hear? So They join hearin world and picks up with them. They will begin to forskate their deaf wolrd or culture because of hearing is very cool. So, CI is destroying Deaf culture or world.

whoa, CI is no different than getting a prosthesis for a person who have no limb, so does that destroy no-limb culture or yet a blind person (or partly blind) getting laser eye treatment, do they destroy the blind culture? i dont think so, it just simply helping they do better in their life. As many people, and myself who will get one soon, CI DOES NOT CHANGE THEM INTO HEARING!, They don't automaticly go into hearing world and ingore the deaf culture, When I get my CI, I wont be label hearing, I will still be labeled as deaf.

Deaf culture?? what is a deaf culture? tell me that, what the hell does deaf culture make a different than hearing culture? In my opinion, deaf culture is just a pain in the ass, they destroy life anyway, deaf culture had destroyed my life, as i was transfered to deaf school in grade 7 and was there til gr 12 and soon graduating (thanks god) and it had pracatilly destroyed my life, with all gossips, immature behaviour, and that bullshits. I actually tryed to kill myself like 5 or 10 times because i am sooo fed up with deaf culture. But it does not mean I will give up on them, i will still struggle through it, I am quite stubborn, so I will still fight it and go through that crap i have to live with, why? because I am deaf, that who I have to hang out with and have a life with, because they are same as me. But I would like more in my life, that means being involved with hearing world as well, face it, all deaf people are involved in hearing world no matter how strongly you believe in deaf culture, there is always the hearing world out there, go to the dr, who u need? interpreter, go to resturant, who you see around you? hearing people, go to mall, you need help with locating something what do you do? you write on piece of paper to the worker. Its all part of the hearing world, so everybody have to accept it and take it easy on the deaf culture. Sure there is one, ok but don't get toooo overexcited or anything about it.

Yeah....it's not an either or thing CrazymanWoot! Someone who's functionally hoh can be culturally Deaf....hey there's a population that uses Sign for alternative commuication that doesn't even have a UNILATERAL loss!
darkangel....I feel for you....some of the deafer then thou extremists make me mad too....I can understand how you would be so emotionally damaged since some of those bastards are beyond moronic....I mean they are morons but they do cause a lot of hurt :(

it's more of a subculture that apparently like to exlcude the idea of diversity. I'm profoundly hearing impaired and strictly oral, I don't belong to the hearing community or the deaf community. Exclusion from both sides, but the worst form of discrimination is those who fall in a similar category as you are.

To you, CI is Hitler to the Deaf "Culture". To me, Deaf "Culture" is pure ignorance.

Because of my anger against the deaf community of rejecting me, I feel that I'll be better off trying to associate with the hearing community,
Raven, where you from? Maybe it's just the deaf communityaround where you live that's so closed minded. It is frustrating that there are some"deafer then thou" people where you live....and I don't understand some of the extremists... I can understand SOME of their views since some oral deaf people are really snotty about not needing sign. But more Deaf extremists need to understand that the majority of us who were raised without Sign, did NOT chose that of our own free will. I'm only hoh and if I'd had a choice, I would have chosen to be raised bilingally. I can't help it that my parents chose to listen to the experts rather then to the people who know what it's like to be dhh!

C.i. cons??- Ringing in ears so bad that c.i is worthless
- Sound isn't very clear
-Insurance cost (loss ,damage )
-Paying for batteries
-Having to tell ignorant people that it's NOT a miracle

con... if you happen to be in serious accident that has very sevre head trauma.

you can not go into for mri or catscan... for head injuries because CI has magent. Not candiate at all. You will die.

Mc Gusto said:
C.i. cons??- Ringing in ears so bad that c.i is worthless

Correct me if I'm wrong-- I've read a source (im too lazy to look it up, so take it with a grain of salt) that implied that having CI would get rid of the ringing if it was a pre-existing condition.

Another con about having CI is that you'd have to experience some sort of prejudice from others. Borg, robot, cyborg, etc.

Once again, I don't consider myself knowledgeable about CI's.

downing said:
con... if you happen to be in serious accident that has very sevre head trauma.

you can not go into for mri or catscan... for head injuries because CI has magent. Not candiate at all. You will die.

Incorrect. CAT Scans are permitted. They are not affected by the magnet on the implant.

The other risks of the surgery:

Your balance may be temporarily affected. I had a co-worker whose surgery didn't go off well and her balance tubes were leaking. That caused vertigo, terrible balance, and the inability to stand until another surgery closed the leak.

Airport security -- now I always set of the metal detector whenever I run through the airport (which is quite often now that I'm travelling a lot). I just ask them to wand me or hand search me and all's good, I'm on my way in 5 minutes.

For me, the benefits of the surgery have far outweighed the side effects and the inconvenience of MRI/travel.

Liza said:
Correct me if I'm wrong-- I've read a source (im too lazy to look it up, so take it with a grain of salt) that implied that having CI would get rid of the ringing if it was a pre-existing condition.

Another con about having CI is that you'd have to experience some sort of prejudice from others. Borg, robot, cyborg, etc.

Once again, I don't consider myself knowledgeable about CI's.
Well my audiologist told me that it makes it worse (tinnitus) in a small amount of people,and it makes it better in a equally small amount but majority stay the same . I always beleived tinnitus would be worse with c.i. as your hearing nerve is getting blasted with loud noise of poor quality .It's just like when i try to listen to music and i can't hear it well so i turn it up and it just makes the ringing in head go bad-that is pretty much the same thing a c.i. does for your tinnitus (well me anyways). :mad2:

Cons of CI? Increased health care costs (mapping, batteries etc)
Also might not be as good as advertised. (some of Cochlea's clients are paid for enthusing over it....and I think some sites and testamonials are simply "creative marketing strategies" to sell the CI.)

Wow that is an impressive list Deaflibrarian ! Keep typing i will be forever grateful ! I told my surgeon before i decided to get c.i. that i ride a skateboard and i fall heavily (sometimes from heights) and occasionally that i hit my head -all on concrete.He said that it don't matter.I had a hard fall last week (my head didn't hit the ground-thank goodness) and the area where my c.i. is was a bit sore for a few days,it's sorta ok now but i'm going to see a doctor anyways, if he tells me i can't skate anymore i will tell him to get f***ed !. Thanks for letting people know about the cons,it's pretty hard getting info like that.

None to write home about, Nesmuth, in my opinion.

Nesmuth, agreed. I don't think there are any cons on a sociological level More and more Deaf people are accepting the implant. Besides, back when hearing aids were first introduced, Deafies were against them....and look. They've become an accepted part of Deaf culture! The same will go for CIs. Bet you in twenty or thirty years CIs will be as accepted as hearing aids are now!

The only con I have experienced with my G3 is that it does eat alot of batteries :madfawk:

3 batteries every 3 days or so.

Otherwise I'm enjoying the independence it did give me as I could not even hear with hearing aids and got it when I was 13. (sorry for going off point)

deaflibrarian said:
Just wear a helmet when you skateboard.
Iv'e been skating for 10 years and have never worn helmet,you don't need a reminder that you could get seriously injured ! I'll be ok, chances of area of head where c.i. is taking a impact are much lower than team contact sports.I went to see surgeon yesterday -everything is ok

Mc Gusto said:
Iv'e been skating for 10 years and have never worn helmet,you don't need a reminder that you could get seriously injured ! I'll be ok, chances of area of head where c.i. is taking a impact are much lower than team contact sports.I went to see surgeon yesterday -everything is ok

Doesn't matter if you have a cochlear implant or not, you should be wearing a helmet. What if you suddenly fell and hit your head?

Head injuries are not funny.

Back