Are there any cons about CI?

e

Reaction score
fortunately, i've heard many pros about CI, which is good, but i also need to know if there are more cons out there. so far, the only cons I know of are:

-young children getting CI without choice
-possibly dislike CI for first few months or so.
-possibly years of trainings
-possible mistake in operation (from what i heard, out of other hospitals in NY state there was only hospital that most people didnt get headaches/dizziness)
-insert here
-insert here

id be more than happy to hear your explanation, stories, or any stuff youd heard from relatives/friends.

You completely cut off any residual hearing you may have had.

Steve

Yes, you do, but the residual hearing is what makes the CI work in the first place...I believe it was told to me once that without a little residual hearing, the CI is uneffective - you only lose the use of the nerve, if your CI is unsuccessful and it is removed...after that, hearing aids are no longer functional.

There is also risk of sickness (meningitis). I dealt with that myself. I'd advise for the shot. ;)

After operations, it's routine for nurses and doctors to check on patients and ensure their facial nerve's still functional after the operation as the nerve's very close to the ears. I remember after I had mine done -- I was woken up a few times through the night and asked to smile for the nurse. She was checking the nerve to make sure I still had use of it.

For me, my cons are:

Migraines
Chronic Sinus Infections

Prior to my CI surgery last March, I never got any sinus infections or migraines. I was one of these few lucky ones until then.

Now I get them constantly and my doctor has dismissed my concerns - saying it is probably a fluke. But one of my two good friends who got CI s after observing my experiences got these as well. My other friend started getting constant ringing in her ear too.

It is my responsibility but I have slacked off on training - it is virtually impossible for me to find time to go see the audiologist to get speech/listening training. At this rate, I am slower in recognizing sounds and whatnot but that is not due to their fault but my hectic schedule.

I am former CI user and I made this quote.

"CI is excatly like Hilter on our DEAF culture!"

If you were born as hearing and you knew some of sounds while you grew up then you lost your hearing. CI is good for you. CI is NOT good for born deaf people, at all! Take my wise advice.

R3na3Blyth3 said:
After operations, it's routine for nurses and doctors to check on patients and ensure their facial nerve's still functional after the operation as the nerve's very close to the ears. I remember after I had mine done -- I was woken up a few times through the night and asked to smile for the nurse. She was checking the nerve to make sure I still had use of it.

lucky you still have smile. I lost my beautiful smile. My left cheek was disconnected with my nerve system. I am kinda of depressed for it. My family is well known as beautiful smiles. Many women went away from me because I don't have good smile. I am kinda sad but I gotta move on.

Crazymanw00t said:
I am former CI user and I made this quote.

"CI is excatly like Hilter on our DEAF culture!"

If you were born as hearing and you knew some of sounds while you grew up then you lost your hearing. CI is good for you. CI is NOT good for born deaf people, at all! Take my wise advice.

Wise? More like an opinionated advice, IMO. Do you have cons you want to list here specifically? Explanations, other than a vague attack on CIs? That's what E wanted, I believe. :)

Liza said:
Wise? More like an opinionated advice, IMO. Do you have cons you want to list here specifically? Explanations, other than a vague attack on CIs? That's what E wanted, I believe. :)

It is my advice below the quote. The quote are my opinion. With my quote, Why? Why does CI exist? They want deaf people to be able to hear? So They join hearin world and picks up with them. They will begin to forskate their deaf wolrd or culture because of hearing is very cool. So, CI is destroying Deaf culture or world. Just wait I am on Audism video tape about my opinion. It will spread out nation at somewhere spring time.

Crazymanw00t said:
They want deaf people to be able to hear? So They join hearin world and picks up with them. They will begin to forskate their deaf wolrd or culture because of hearing is very cool. So, CI is destroying Deaf culture or world.

I beg to differ.
I got a CI last spring and I did not join hearing world. I am still Deaf and still consider myself a Deaf member. All of my friends who got CI s did not automatically give up their Deaf identity. We all only could hear a bit more clear but we still havent ran off and joined Hearing ranks.

CI has NOT destroyed my Deaf culture.

Mind if I jump in here?

I can't speak to getting implanted, because, I am hearing. However, I've educated myself alittle bit about CIs, and yes, there's are risks involved. But, there's risks to any surgery. You may get infections. There may be bleeding. You could stop breathing during the procedure. That is why they make you take a physical, and do the lab work they do to ensure you're healthy enough to withstand the surgery.

I don't think it's fair to single out cochlear implantation and demonize it, because the truth is, when you cut into the body, there's a risk. That's why they make sure you know what the heck you are getting into, and they make you sign the consent forms proving that you know what the heck you are getting into.

I am saying, CI had done destroyed the DEAF culture or world. It means the CI did damaged part of DEAF culture or world. I didn't mean with completely destoryed the deaf world. The point is that there should be no hearing aid or CIs. Leave the deaf people alone even that they want to hear. Same as with Blind people.

Crazymanw00t said:
I am saying, CI had done destroyed the DEAF culture or world. It means the CI did damaged part of DEAF culture or world. I didn't mean with completely destoryed the deaf world. The point is that there should be no hearing aid or CIs. Leave the deaf people alone even that they want to hear. Same as with Blind people.

Deaf Culture does not exist as a culture, the closest Deaf Culture could come to exist is to refer it to as a subculture. Many deaf people personally believe that it is nothing more than a cult, and many refuse to acknowledge that they are disabled, yet they scream for ADA to be on their side. It's as if they think ADA is titled, the Americans with Deafness Act instead of the Americans Disabilities Act. Deaf Culture is filled with selfish purposes in my eyes, I've experienced a lot of difficulties and troubles while dealing with the so-called Deaf Culture as a young person especially when I had attended a school for the deaf from grade 7 till 12 when I graduated.

However, deaf communities does exist. But it's far from being a culture on its own.

It's about having choices, and the parents are rightfully given the power to give their children whatever they wish to to enhance their lives. Adults have their choices to make in their lives.

I was implanted back in August and have been wearing my G-3 about 4 months now. Some of my complaints:

- Battery life is much shorter. Choose your insurance carrier wisely.

- Putting the processor on first thing in the morning is like a nasty slap in the face if I forget to turn the volume wheel down to 1.

- the quality of MY voice does not seem up to par. Other people are not an issue, it is my voice alone.

Regrets? None. I am more aware of background sounds, am able to discriminate different sounds (ie, toilet flushing, water running, phone ringing, the sound of someone rubbing their hands together, etc) Understanding spoken language over the radio and phone is slowly progressing. However, I'd like to add that priorly, I received very little benefit from hearing aids and had just about nothing to lose. My decision was right for me, but for me alone. Good luck in your endeavors.

I am sorry, DEAF culture do exist. It is not subculture. You didn't research on those infomation very well. That is blunt answer to you, Banjo.

They want deaf people to be able to hear? So They join hearin world and picks up with them. They will begin to forskate their deaf wolrd or culture because of hearing is very cool. So, CI is destroying Deaf culture or world.
No, CI is CHANGING the Deaf culture/world. A CI DOES NOT make a deaf person hearing at ALL....if it works really really well it makes them functionally hoh.....NOT hearing. Despite professional's opinons we hoh folks have JUST AS much in common with deaf folks as we do with hearing folks. I am hoh, and I have NEVER EVER felt 100% a part of hearing culture! I understand your concerns.....but a lot of CIers still ID as Deaf and Sign....and besides, when hearing aids were popularized a lot of Deaf leaders thought that aids would destroy Deaf culture!
Yes, you do, but the residual hearing is what makes the CI work in the first place...I believe it was told to me once that without a little residual hearing, the CI is uneffective
Huh? What do you mean by uneffective? I do know that there are deaf hearing aid users who are ineligable to be implanted b/c they have too much residual hearing with aids.

Ok, let's all please stay on topic. Let's not ruin E's thread especially since this means a lot to her. She wants answers to her questions, nothing more.

Again, let's all stay on topic, please. Thank you.

Bacterial Meningitis would be a con. I think it is rare but in some instances it can cause death

Crazymanw00t said:

Your statement isn't true. CI has not damage part of the "deaf culture". I'm not supportive of CI, but if there was an option that can help me hear better than where I am (for example, hair cell restoration for the cochlear), I would take it.

I don't believe there is a "deaf" culture... and I agree with Banjo, it's more of a subculture that apparently like to exlcude the idea of diversity. I'm profoundly hearing impaired and strictly oral, I don't belong to the hearing community or the deaf community. Exclusion from both sides, but the worst form of discrimination is those who fall in a similar category as you are.

To you, CI is Hitler to the Deaf "Culture". To me, Deaf "Culture" is pure ignorance.

Because of my anger against the deaf community of rejecting me, I feel that I'll be better off trying to associate with the hearing community, since I can accept their reason and forgive them for their ignorance.

-Raven

deafdyke said:
No, CI is CHANGING the Deaf culture/world. A CI DOES NOT make a deaf person hearing at ALL....if it works really really well it makes them functionally hoh.....NOT hearing.

I'd like to tell that to every hearing parent that give the Doc the nod.
That's another con, pun intended.

Steve

Back